Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Is the RIA an official go??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2011, 12:42 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Default Is the RIA an official go??

I know i know, there has already been a thread about this but still.....is this gun worth buying? I see a lot of pleased people but then i hear of issues as well. i thought about adding this to the collection as my first 1911. I wouldnt carry it on doubts about realibilty but now im really doubtful. I wanted to have for just HD but now not so sure. Is it just mag issues, ammo issues, break-in issues or what??

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-20-2011, 12:50 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The RIA 1911's, like most of the other Phillippine 1911's, are generally a hit or miss. Generally I hear very good things about them and then ocassionally I hear some negatives about them. What seems to be the most prolific issue is the magazine tends to be fairly poor quality. Another thing I've heard is that some of them need to be broken in.

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 11-20-2011, 01:03 AM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2665 Times on 1551 Posts
Likes Given: 1184

If you cannot rely on a firearm 99.9% of the time, it is worth the risk?

This is not just on the RIA, but on any firearm.

Back in the old days, it was not uncommon to spend equal to one month's pay for a firearm that one had to rely on.
Today, that amount would buy a very good, reliable, strong SD firearm.

You should have as much life insurance as you think you are worth. And you want to have inexpensive SD protection?

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 11-20-2011, 02:08 AM   #4

What about an entry level springfield arent they about 700 or so. Or maybe a remington i think they are about 500 or so. Just trying to help you out with some otherbchoices that may be a better gun

Old 11-20-2011, 03:12 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 85

I have been looking at the RIA also and read the same stuff, cant really decide. I have really been taking a closer look at the S&W SD9. not quite the m&p but better than the sigma.

My readings of history convinces me that most bad government results from to much government.....Thomas Jefferson
Being Ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn............Benjamin Franklin
If Barack Obama is the answer, the how damn stupid was the question.

Old 11-20-2011, 03:40 AM   #6
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 38 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I had a RIA Commander for about a year now. I think on the second mag. I had one round hang up and not chamber. Cycled it out and have not had a problem since with 6-700 rounds. Nice shooting gun in my opinion.

Old 11-20-2011, 05:02 AM   #7

If you look at several of my threads where I talk about my RIA, I abuse the hell out of it (for demonstration purposes), and I *DO* carry it.

When I say "abuse"... I mean, dropping and throwing it on pavement, reloading it, and putting it back in my holster. The sights are chipped, but the gun is still combat accurate, and have no problem trusting my life with it.

...and I carry it on duty, sometimes, as well.

-=Jerry A. Goodson=-

Tri-State Tactical
1010 N. Louise St.
Atlanta, Texas 75551
430-342-3376

http://www.3tactical.com

Old 11-20-2011, 06:18 AM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Ok, other options are helpful; thanks.

Old 11-20-2011, 01:41 PM   #9

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

You can read about problems with just about every brand you can name. The thing is, people that have a feed issue, or whatever, with a pistol are quick to go to the 'net' to get help & complain, while only a small % of folks that do not have a problem go on the 'net' & brag about their choice.

Now, having said that, I agree with others that if you are buying the first pistol with intentions of it being for self defense, buy the very best you can afford & a manufacturer's reputation for service after the sale is your best friend, because ANY manufacturer can have a bad one get out the door. Imports have service centers set up in the states in case you have a problem. They may be very good gun shops, but if they do not have the parts needed to repair your pistol, you can be without it for months. Your gun dealer can be your 2nd best friend, or your worst enemy. Get to know him.

Old 11-20-2011, 02:16 PM   #10

Liked 2176 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

3 out of the 4 RIA's i've owned (still own one) were near perfect-
You do the math

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET