Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Revolvers the Ultimate Reliable Handgun what's your Opinion?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2011, 07:50 PM   #31
fmj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 748 Times on 432 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0zt36 View Post
whatchya mean there bud? finish is in 99% maybe you're seeing the reflection of light . the bluing <if thats what it is , I say that because I've been told its deep bluing also ive been told its armaloy > is extremely deep and has a glass texture high gloss mirror finish to it .
Yeah, it looks like the back half is Stainless and the rest is blued...

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 10-17-2011, 07:50 PM   #32

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8R8U2 View Post
People have owned and shot revolvers for over a hundred years without anything ever wearing out or failing.

The long-term failure rate for autos is significantly higher than for revolvers... if the auto isn't in perfect working order or if it's dirty, it likely isn't working.

You could pick up a revolver out of a mud puddle and probably shoot it just fine.
Having a fair amount of revolvers and semi's, I just don't see it. I have a half dozen Glocks, in 9mm, 40 S&W, 357SIG and 45ACP and out of over 15,000 rounds have NEVER had one malfunction, FTF, stovepipe, or any other malidy you indicate. Never once. Can say the exact same for my Ed Brown 1911's with at least 2,000 rounds through each. And although I'd never try it with a 1911, I've seen plenty of evidence of dirty Glocks shoot every time the trigger is pulled. Filty would be an understatement of their state of cleanlyness. Many of them were in officers holsters BTW.

Can't say the same for my S&W 3913 but it has only had one FTF in it's life. So it doesn't get carried. My Kahr Micro 9 would shoot anything I put in it and accuracy was crazy for such a short barreled semi. But as much as I love my Python and it's beauty, grace and accuracy, I'd never expect it to shoot beautifully if I threw it into a sandpile or mudpuddle. Maybe my 629 Classic but not the Python. But everyone has a different view of things.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:10 PM   #33

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativH View Post
Having a fair amount of revolvers and semi's, I just don't see it. I have a half dozen Glocks, in 9mm, 40 S&W, 357SIG and 45ACP and out of over 15,000 rounds have NEVER had one malfunction, FTF, stovepipe, or any other malidy you indicate. Never once. Can say the exact same for my Ed Brown 1911's with at least 2,000 rounds through each.
That's a genuinely remarkable record. I own a lot of autos (maybe a dozen or more?) and I shoot them more than my revos in PPC, but they do jam occasionally.

The biggest problem with autos is they will fail to cycle if the ammo is even a little bit sub standard. Then you have a jammed gun that did not extract or feed or didn't fire at all that has to be cleared.

If you have a dud round on a revo, just pull the trigger again and BOOM. Time lost in critical situation is maybe a tenth of a second.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:20 PM   #34

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 32

I think the controversy over reliability comparing the design of the auto-loader -vs- revolver is very real.....for which this controversy is based I think may have come out of urban myth!

If each is operated within the conditions they were designed, one does not tend itself any more or less reliable than the other. I wouldn't want to argue over an individuals experience, for this is what we most often make firm opinions over. I have had and personally seen malfunctions with both types. They are mechanical contraptions and mechanics may/will fail.

Outside of plinking, say competition, hunting, or self-defense, I think most would agree they prefer a gun which is more prone to operate under adverse conditions, rather than not....(dah!), but what do we base our decision on? One basis would be our own experience. From combat, to competition, to defensive carry, to industry tools......with millions of rounds fired......over 55 years.....my opinion, is to most often use an auto-loader.....BUT, once in a while I can be caught carrying a revolver!

I guess maybe I just can't make up my mind!!!

Old 10-17-2011, 08:20 PM   #35

Liked 1403 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Yep!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 10-17-2011, 08:26 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by bountyhunter View Post
That's a genuinely remarkable record. I own a lot of autos (maybe a dozen or more?) and I shoot them more than my revos in PPC, but they do jam occasionally.

The biggest problem with autos is they will fail to cycle if the ammo is even a little bit sub standard. Then you have a jammed gun that did not extract or feed or didn't fire at all that has to be cleared.

If you have a dud round on a revo, just pull the trigger again and BOOM. Time lost in critical situation is maybe a tenth of a second.
Not remarkable at all if you use good ammo. And if you ever get in a gunfight, you darn sure better have off the shelf ammo unless you want the DA to make you out to be on the wrong side of things. Handloads are the last thing you want in your weapon, in Houston with our DA's. And I fail to understand how any revolver will double strike a dud round. All of my revolvers rotate the cylinder with every pull of the trigger. What one doesn't?

Old 10-17-2011, 08:26 PM   #37

I don't think that is correct. An auto has a more complicated firing cycle than a revo. More ways to go wrong. But, what's worse, the consequences of the most typical failure modes for an auto require a very time intensive process to correct: recognize malfunction, react, break grip, tap bottom of magazine to seat, hand cycle the slide (hope it clears) regrip and fire. If the jam was caused by a fail to extract (extractor claw slipped the rim of the fired case) it will not clear the jam this way. The gun will still be non functional.

For a revo, most of the time it's a dud primer or a light strike misfire and the cure is automatically done: pull the trigger again.

I like my autos for sport shooting, but I have spent too many hours fixing and tuning them to ever bet my life on one. I just don't want that in my brain when my life is on the line.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:31 PM   #38

Quote:
And I fail to understand how any revolver will double strike a dud round.
????????????

Never said it would. What I said is that if you do get a dud, the next trigger pull hits a good one (unless you have two duds in a row). There is no complicated routine required to clear the bad round to get it working again.

Quote:
Not remarkable at all if you use good ammo.
Well, not sure about that. I don't reload and do use good ammo and I have seen a few jams in my day. I'm not saying it's likely, but they do happen.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:32 PM   #39

Isn't it great that we all have the choice of what to carry? My Python is fun to carry as is my 629 Classic when I expect four legged trouble.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:34 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by bountyhunter View Post
????????????

Never said it would. What I said is that if you do get a dud, the next trigger pull hits a good one (unless you have two duds in a row). There is no complicated routine required to clear the bad round to get it working again.

Well, not sure about that. I don't reload and do use good ammo and I have seen a few jams in my day. I'm not saying it's likely, but they do happen.
You didn't catch my tougue in cheek. If you don't like clearing malfunctions, don't carry an auto. Not a problem for me at all. Never has been, never will be. And by the time two or three revolver trigger pulls have happened, I've emptied 9-230 gr+P SXT rounds into whatever I'm aiming at. Been there, done that. That is, unless you are Jerry.