Revolvers the Ultimate Reliable Handgun what's your Opinion? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Revolvers the Ultimate Reliable Handgun what's your Opinion?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2011, 05:04 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firearms4ever View Post
Like dan said, "Never say never".

S&W 686 (Close-Up) - YouTube
IF those were reloads, then that video is irrelevant. I've yet to see a owners manual that says it's okay to shoot reloads, if there is one, please notify me.

Old 10-17-2011, 05:07 PM   #12
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
IF those were reloads, then that video is irrelevant. I've yet to see a owners manual that says it's okay to shoot reloads, if there is one, please notify me.
the ones i have say its ok..but cation must be taken.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 10-17-2011, 05:07 PM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Agreed, but the point of sharing the video was to show that revolvers can indeed jam.

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 10-17-2011, 05:08 PM   #14

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have both, and like to shoot both; but when it comes to self or home defense, it's primarily the .357 revolver. In a true close quarters fight, racking a slide a second time is rarely an option... whoever's gun doesn't go bang loses the fight by default.

I will carry my .45 auto, but it also has second-strike capability, where a second trigger pull will strike the primer a second time if the primer is bad or it didn't strike it hard enough the first time. But, ultimately, it's still striking the same round a second time; so if it's truly a dud, a second strike of the same primer isn't going to help, and racking the slide again is going to be necessary to feed another round. To me, that equals dead. A second trigger pull of a revolver will spin the cylinder to a new round every time as fast as you can pull it; so that's ideal for true self-defense.

I will not carry any striker-fired pistols, and have seen too many accidents, even by the best-trained operators around, to even consider one for primary self-defense. I will take one to the range and shoot for fun, but I won't bet the lives of me or mine on one. And I have seen plenty of autos go "click" instead of "bang"; failures to feed either because of ramp design or cartridge/bullet design; failures to eject; stovepipes, etc... from every maker, including Glock and Sig.

The latest rage of DAO autos make no sense to me whatsoever. They have no advantages at all, and even do away with the few advantages an auto has. People appreciated autos because they normally allowed for greater capacity, rapid rate of fire, and improved accuracy via a single-action trigger pull. A DAO auto essentially works just like a revolver, except you can't pull the hammer back to fire it single action; and even worse, if there's a failure to fire, it also doesn't move to the next cartridge... meaning, of course, the dreaded re-racking of the slide that might get you killed in a true emergency.

Additionally, the capacity of most of these isn't that much greater than what can be had in a revolver anyway. I carry a 617 snubby, which holds 7 rounds of .357... which is about what the new breed of micro DAO autos hold of smaller caliber rounds.

Legitimate altercations in which self-defense becomes necessary as a last resort typically take place inside 20 feet... if I can't dispatch my adversary with 7 shots, I probably shouldn't be carrying a gun. If my adversary doesn't go down after 7 shots of .357, then he's either wearing kevlar or he's superhuman, and 15 shots of 9mm aren't going to drop him either.

The ONLY advantage of a micro DAO pistol is weight; and because that has never bothered me, regardless of how long I carry my gun, it's no advantage at all to me personally. Other folks may have legitimate needs for a lighter carry pistol; and there must surely be many out there who do because of the sheer numbers of them being sold... I just don't have a need or desire for one. If I want a smaller carry pistol that's an auto, it will be something with all the advantages an auto provides and a hammer, like a Beretta Px4 subcompact... and even then, it still wouldn't be my go-to handgun.

Old 10-17-2011, 05:08 PM   #15
fmj

a fine example, but he got LUCKY the bullet didnt unseat further than it did. another case for a good solid crimp on your reloads.

Old 10-17-2011, 05:12 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
the ones i have say its ok..but cation must be taken.
The last I heard Smith and Wesson will void the warranty if you shoot reloads through it. I have no manual of my own though, and can't verify for myself. I guess I should download/request one shouldn't I?

Old 10-17-2011, 05:14 PM   #17
fmj

Quote:
The last I heard Smith and Wesson will void the warranty if you shoot reloads through it. I have no manual of my own though, and can't verify for myself. I guess I should download/request one shouldn't I?
Hmmm now you make me think i need to dig out my 686 box and go thru the manual....i cant even think where the box is stashed it been so long

Old 10-17-2011, 05:33 PM   #18
fmj

Quote:
In bold red letters at the top of the page reads as follows.

WARNING: NEVER USE NON-STANDARD, RELOADED OR "HANDLOADED" AMMUNITION WHICH HAS NOT BEEN SUBJECTED TO INTERNAL BALLISTIC PRESSURE TESTING. RELOADED OR HANDLOADED AMMUNITION, MAY HAVE MANY MANUFACTURING AND QUALITY VARIABLES (SUCH AS THE TYPE AND AMOUNT OF GUN POWDER). ANY AMMUNITION THAT IS IMPROPERLY MANUFACTURED, EVEN IN THE SLIGHTEST DEGREE, MAY FAIL TO FIRE OR MAY GENERATE EXCESSIVE INTERNAL PRESSURES WHICH CAN DAMAGE OR EVEN RUPTURE THE FIREARM, CAUSING PERSONAL INJURY OR DEATH TO THE SHOOTER OR THOSE IN THE IMMEDIATE VICINITY.

nothing about voiding warranty just lawyer/liability jibberish for the idiots among us.

But i did learn +P+ should not be used in Smith revolvers...not that i would/do anywho...just good to know.

Old 10-17-2011, 05:41 PM   #19

Either way, it says don't use it. I'd bet they still wouldn't fix it under warranty though!

Old 10-17-2011, 05:59 PM   #20
fmj

Quote:
Either way, it says don't use it. I'd bet they still wouldn't fix it under warranty though!
I doubt any manufacturer would...its not a manufacturing defect but a user defect. In other words, it aint their fault your an idiot and double charged a cartridge.

One reason i like 2400...cant double charge a 357 or 44 case....well at least not without having powder dumping all over. Hard not to notice powder all over your leg/floor/bench.