Revolvers the Ultimate Reliable Handgun what's your Opinion?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Revolvers the Ultimate Reliable Handgun what's your Opinion?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2011, 05:04 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Revolvers the Ultimate Reliable Handgun what's your Opinion?

Iv'e Never had a jam/failure to feed or failure to eject with any of my Glocks in 9mm,.45acp, Models 17,19,26 and 21,30. Glock is not paying me by the way to promote them they should hehehehe. I have had jams with HK's expensive 1911'S,Sig Sauers. But the only other thing i can think of never jamming is my S&W 686 .357magnum Revolver Now i know why my Grandfather preffered Wheel Guns.

But yeah i believe that Revolvers truly are the only thing that will go bang every time. Other than my Glocks Anything can fail keep in mind but with magazine fed semi's you have springs of the magazine and feed ramps and quick action extractors. As well as numerous parts that can fail the more parts you have the more potential problems that can happen. I have fed dirty just disgusting ammo that was cheaper than a penny through my Glocks and never one failure. Believe it without cleaning for over a year there myth busted i can vouch for it.

Anyways if you think about it all you have to worry about in a Revolver is a DUD PRIMER AND OR DUD POWDER. I have never heard of the Cylinder Locking up on a Revolver but i guess anything can happen. In a Revolver I have heard of a chamber not lining up exactly with the barrel and a round exploding because the bullet hit part of the barrel wall. That is the only catastrophic failure i can see happening with a revolver. But other than that you pull that trigger the cylinder revolves,cocks the hammer and drops the hammer every time. How do you guys feel about a Revolver for a go to Gun?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-17-2011, 05:09 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1268 Times on 862 Posts
Likes Given: 1308

Yes they are !!!!!!!!!!

When all else fails.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:05 AM   #3
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7344 Times on 4420 Posts
Likes Given: 9072

I am just a hobby shooter and I have one revolver and one semi-auto. I really like my revolver and I would like to add more revolvers to my gun collection. I like their dependability and I like the way they look. I would like to have a snubby revolver.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:46 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 234 Times on 133 Posts
Likes Given: 502

I have and shoot both semi and revolvers. I like both designs and both have their place in the world. I have never had a lock up on my revolvers and neither has anyone I know. I have had jams on my semi autos but with a quick rack of the slide it is back in action, with a revolver lock up though you need to take it to a gunsmith and have them fix it. So you give and take. Any man made device can fail, so best thing to do is proper maintence and inspection. I do carry a S&W 642 alot especially in the summer, but when winter roles around thats when the 1911 comes with me.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Old 10-17-2011, 08:03 AM   #5
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2971 Times on 1714 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

Never say never.
One lockup I've seen with a revolver was with a factory squib load. The primer push the bullet out into the forcing cone, but not far enough to allow the cylinder to open.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 10-17-2011, 11:54 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Like dan said, "Never say never".

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 10-17-2011, 12:39 PM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have had both autoloaders and revolvers. I like autoloaders but prefer revolvers. I have had autoloaders work flawlessly but didn't like certain brands of ammo. Sometimes an autoloader can be finneky with the type of ammo you are using. This is my experience.

Now I just have revolvers and prefer magnums for their versatility. I have never had a problem with a revolver...(yet). No matter the ammo brand, bullet type, 38,38+p or magnum loads etc.

Just my opinion.

OC

"magbum"

Old 10-17-2011, 12:57 PM   #8
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

there is a really good discussion or two floating around here somewhere on this very subject.

I DO LOVE my 686!!

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 10-17-2011, 02:24 PM   #9

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I did have the timing go off on my Taurus 606 (6 shot 357 snub) and had to send it back to the factory for rework. Thing would spit jacketing out the side of the cylinder on every shot. A rather painfull affair and disconcerting to say the least. Got it back beautifully polished and it shoots perfectly ever since. Bottom line is that something can go wrong with any mechanical object.

Old 10-17-2011, 04:19 PM   #10

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I agree. I want a 1911 badly, but there are so many options with revolvers a man could just stick to them and build a collection to sink a battleship.