Revolvers over Autos? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Revolvers over Autos?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2008, 01:15 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I like my semi auto... My girlfriends pap swears by his 357 revolver.

If my semi auto jams, stovepipes, etc? I'm screwed... Your revolver can kick on the next bullet and keep on firing, while I'm stuck trying to clear a jam, etc.

When I was looking to purchase my first handgun, the sales person suggested a 357 revolver as well. I was set on the XD and I'm glad I went that route. As said, quicker, easier to reload, faster, etc.

Personal preference really... If you're that unsure, buy both.

Simon

XD-9 SubCompact -- Walther P22 -- Savage 110 -- Mossberg 835 -- Ruger 10/22 -- Bushmaster 16" AR-15

Old 02-26-2008, 02:31 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender View Post
Your point is moot.
The point was not to steer the OP one way or another. The point is that what seems like a good idea today, may not be tommorrow.
"The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us“ ...... Patrick Henry March 23, 1775

Old 02-26-2008, 06:22 AM   #23

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutman View Post
The point was not to steer the OP one way or another.
You guys aren't trying to steer him one way or the other?!

Then why did Robocop post the following, which clearly appears to be steering him toward a .357 revolver, as well as discouraging a high-capacity 9mm?

Quote:
Posted by Robocop:
"IMHO a 4" .357 is a perfect start for a handgun collection. Simple, reliable, versitile. Light wadcutter taget loads with low recoil, heavy magnum HP's for defense, shot shells for snakes and rats. It is not the perfect combat handgun but it does a very good job at many different tasks. Remember that firepower does not mean a lot of bullets. It means enough bullets of sufficient power to stop the attacker. 15 9mm 115 FMJ's may not do what one or two .357 mag 125 or 158 JHP's will do."

Last edited by Defender; 02-27-2008 at 08:19 AM.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:35 AM   #24

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
The point is that what seems like a good idea today, may not be tommorrow.
Your point is still moot regarding the issue of semi-autos versus pistols.

The fact that the Army ditched the 1911 semi-auto in favor of the Beretta semi-auto, and now is strongly considering changing back to the 1911 semi-auto, does absolutely NOTHING to make revolvers any better of a choice in a self-defense handgun.

Military, police and SWAT units throughout the industrialized world have spoken---the semi-auto is the clear choice in self-defense and tactical situations.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:39 AM   #25

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
Could not have put it better......absolutly right! Do not confuse military use of handguns with that of police. A 4" .357 Revolver would be an excellent place to start......
NOBODY is confusing military and police use.

That's why I mentioned the military, police and SWAT units SEPARATELY.

The semi-auto is the first choice of ALL of them, as well as the FBI etc.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:54 AM   #26

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonTuffGuy View Post
I like my semi auto... My girlfriends pap swears by his 357 revolver.

If my semi auto jams, stovepipes, etc? I'm screwed... Your revolver can kick on the next bullet and keep on firing, while I'm stuck trying to clear a jam, etc.

When I was looking to purchase my first handgun, the sales person suggested a 357 revolver as well. I was set on the XD and I'm glad I went that route. As said, quicker, easier to reload, faster, etc.

Personal preference really... If you're that unsure, buy both.
Revolvers misfire PLENTY:

N.C. wants Smith & Wesson to replace faulty revolvers

The Associated Press

"RALEIGH, N.C. -- Faced with problems ranging from misfires to barrels breaking off, the state has asked gun maker Smith and Wesson to replace hundreds of sidearms carried by probation and corrections officers.

None of the revolvers have failed in the line of duty, and for now, the department is keeping the guns in service. But in testing, about one in four revolvers didn't fire when the trigger was pulled. In some cases, the barrel of some models broke off when the gun was fired....So far, the state Correction Department has asked the Massachusetts-based gun maker to replace only 500 Model 64 revolvers bought in 2004, though there have also been problems with two other models. But officials could wind up asking Smith and Wesson to provide replacements for all 5,000 of the department's revolvers.

At a meeting last month at a shooting range in Smithfield, Smith and Wesson representatives got a live demonstration of the problems. During test firing of about three dozen revolvers, four misfired, meaning nothing happened when the trigger was pulled. The barrel also broke off a different model when it was fired, something that has happened 14 times in practice firings since 2003.... Many law enforcement agencies have moved away from revolvers in recent years, switching to semiautomatic pistols, something Stieneke is considering."

http://www.gunsnet.net/forums/showthread.php?t=275491

Old 02-26-2008, 08:48 AM   #27

Everone is entitled to your point of view, but if you forgive me I find you a very opinionated young man. That is not the point I was trying to make, however it matters little. But I would like you to understand that in the dark reaches of this forum is a lot of experienced guys, who have been shooting for a considerable length of time. Robocop was spot on the money in respect of defensive sidearms.

I have shot both revolvers and semi-auto's for a considerable amount of time including my police service and in the private sector I have never had a problem with Smith and Wesson, however all weapons held in central armoury are only as good as the armourer who is responsible for them. Semi-autos by their nature can be prone to stopages, but regular maintainance obviously reduces this possibility redically.

If one is new to shooting a revolver is an excellent start, it developes your basic shooting stills and control. As for defence it will do the job very well.

At one point you mentioned .22lr, I would point out that at least one major intelegence agency used them for overseas operations (and likely still do). I had the unpleasent job of putting down a rampaging very dangerous large Malinois last year on a neighbours land, that had savaged a flock of sheep. If I had anything handly I would have used it but I took him down with a single shot from a Manhurin PP .22lr. Nothing is written in stone............

Old 02-26-2008, 07:57 PM   #28
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2946 Times on 1534 Posts
Likes Given: 262

Yes, revolvers are machines. Machines require maintenance. Machines have limited life spans. Miles on an engine. Rounds through a firearm. There is likely no record of the number of rounds fired through these revolvers. The model 64 is a stainless steel fixed sight .38 spl. IF thousands of rounds had been fired there could be issues. IF proper maintenance had not been performed there could be problems. I had to put bushings in several dozen M-66's that had battered their cranes to the point they would not reliably fire magnums any longer. Quick fix, good to go for several thousand additional rounds.
ALL duty guns should be detail stripped, cleaned and inspected on an annual basis.
I equate regular cleaning to changing the oil. You can do that periodically. Armorer's annual inspection and cleaning is akin to flushing the radiator and changing the transmission fluid. Better left to the pro's. Basic marksmanship is the same regardless of the type of weapon. Why do you think the Army used single shot .22 rifles to teach basic marksmanship? Sight alignment, sight picture, grip, breath control, trigger squeeze and follow through. He!!, you can use air guns for that!

Smith and Wesson revolvers are crap? And Glocks never go KABOOM? They are machines. Mechanical and metalurgical failures do occur.

And, the associated press never gets a story wrong.

Last edited by robocop10mm; 02-26-2008 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Addition

Old 02-26-2008, 09:21 PM   #29

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default revolver vs auto

I've had dozens of both and carry both but the revolver is so much simpler to operate it's foolproof-you don't have to worry/think about:is there 1 in chamber,is it cocked,is safety on,is magizine in,is magazine loaded. I suggest getting a small .357 and use .38s for practice.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:24 AM   #30

I carry both, and like both. I can honestly say that I have never had my revolver experience a stovepipe, FTE, or FTF, though. Any ammo issues were resolved by another squeeze of the trigger.

Both can have issues, but IMHO, those of a semi can be more of a problem if they happen at the wrong time. It seems like one bad round could ruin your whole day, if you needed it to defend yourself.

Maybe I should listen to myself... I carry a semi 90% of the time.