Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Revolvers over Autos?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2008, 07:48 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedy View Post
A four in. 357 is probably the best all around gun.
Opinions, opinions!

Even if it could be proven to be the "best all around gun", it wouldn't matter to me.

Self-defense is job one for any weapon I own, and semi-autos are clearly superior for that purpose.

Old 02-20-2008, 12:33 PM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2555 Times on 1342 Posts
Likes Given: 192

IMHO a 4" .357 is a perfect start for a handgun collection. Simple, reliable, versitile. Light wadcutter taget loads with low recoil, heavy magnum HP's for defense, shot shells for snakes and rats. It is not the perfect combat handgun but it does a very good job at many different tasks. Remember that firepower does not mean a lot of bullets. It means enough bullets of sufficient power to stop the attacker. 15 9mm 115 FMJ's may not do what one or two .357 mag 125 or 158 JHP's will do. Statistically police shoot outs are less than 3 shots at less than 7 yards. Hitting the target, in a vital area with a good bullet at good velocity before he hits you is how you win. PRACTICE! IPSC basic rule and motto SPEED, ACCURACY, POWER. You must have a balance. Hitting him in the periferal areas quickly is not sufficient. Hitting him center mass with a .44 mag after he has shot you 10 times is not sufficient. Two to the chest, one to the head, makes a man good and dead.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:41 PM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

During the last few decades, virtually every significant police department and law enforcement agency in the country has switched to semi-autos. Revolvers are pretty much extinct in the military.

Revolvers are passe for law enforcement and military use in virtually the entire industrialized world. Europe switched to semi-autos long before the USA.

There were several more reasons for doing this besides just magazine capacity:

1. Officers with revolvers were often outgunned by perps with semi-autos
2. Semis fire faster
3. Semis reload faster
4. Semis have an easier trigger pull

As for the questionable theory that one should "learn" with a revolver and then move up to a semi-auto, I wouldn't recommend that.

Revolvers have a longer, harder trigger pull. If people learn with and grow accustomed to the more difficult pull, it will be ingrained in their "muscle memory". So they will develop a different shooting habit in this regard, which might be hard for many to break later.

A lot of people who switch from revolvers to semi-autos frequently have a problem adjusting to the semi trigger. They tend to pull too hard, i.e. "yank" the trigger, which causes definite accuracy problems. Some people adapt more quickly than others, but for many it will be a difficult habit to break.

If you're a beginner who knows you want to use a semi-auto, you should START with a semi-auto.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:47 PM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

A .357 magnum revolver is a mediocre choice for a primary weapon because of the substantial recoil and poor concealability. It's not a good choice for beginners at all.

If you're primarily interested in a handgun for self-defense, semi-autos are easily the best choice.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:25 PM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Double Action Revolvers require triggers for their intended purpose. For defense, I prefer a single stage double action stroke of 8 lbs or less. If I believed I could get everything from a revolver,that I do from a semi-auto, I would not have so many semi-autos. I love em both.

Here's a good display of revolver shooting; his name is Jerry Miculek.

Old 02-21-2008, 12:16 AM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Jerry Miculek is a master-level competition shooter who has won multiple world and national championships. He grew up shooting revolvers, and has spent many thousands of hours practicing with them.

When an average person is looking for a weapon for self-defense, it would be sheer folly for them to buy a weapon based on what an individual like Jerry can do with it.

For the average person who didn't grow up shooting and doesn't have thousands of hours to practice and compete, semi-autos are the clear choice.

Not to mention that you won't see Jerry beating world and national champion level semi-auto shooters in open competitions. Semi-auto shooters like Eric Grauffel and Rob Leatham will beat the best revolver shooters virtually every time.

The worldwide law enforcement and military communities have spoken---the semi-auto is the clear choice for personal self-defense, law enforcement work and military use.

Old 02-25-2008, 01:40 AM   #17

Hello all. Newbie here and I thought I'd just dive right in! I have gone the route with just about every semi auto platform made in the 20 century. 1911s, Glocks, just about everything. I've decided to stick with revolvers for the first poster's reasons, and for the fact I can conceal a Ruger sp101 far easier than I can any revolver. For home defense I use a Mossberg 12 gauge. As for carrying, the average citizen is almost never going to face what policemen or the military face when we're carrying. Most self defense situations end in 3 to 5 shots max, and I just don't need to be packing a 17 round auto for carry. Two to three speedloaders give me 20 rounds for my sp101 and that's plenty. Oh, and I can conceal those speedloaders easier than magazines also.

I suggest carrying whichever style you like the best. For me, it's a revolver and always will be. I still have one auto, a Ruger SR9 but I'll use it as a backup home weapon and for range fun. I won't be carrying it though because I like revolvers better.

The Lost King of Scotland

Old 02-25-2008, 02:12 AM   #18

Ah yes... the old semi auto vs wheel gun debate.

As was said previously, this will never be resolved. Each has it's purpose and either one can be the best choice for you. Take a concealed carry course from a reputable gun range. You will have a chance to shoot many different types of side arms and make an INFORMED decision based on YOUR personal likes and dislikes.
Just because most LE agencies have gone to semi-autos does not mean it is the best choice for you. When the US military switched to the 9mm in the 1980's, they did so thinking it was the best choice. Now, they appear headed back to the good ol' .45acp.
You wouldn't buy a vehicle without test driving a few, why buy something that your life depends on based on others opinions.

"The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us“ ...... Patrick Henry March 23, 1775

Old 02-25-2008, 06:42 AM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutman View Post
Just because most LE agencies have gone to semi-autos does not mean it is the best choice for you. When the US military switched to the 9mm in the 1980's, they did so thinking it was the best choice. Now, they appear headed back to the good ol' .45acp.
Your point is moot, since the "good ol' .45acp" just happens to be a semi-auto (SA) also. Switching from one SA to another SA does nothing to enhance the reputation of revolvers.

Virtually anyone can learn to fire a semi-auto just fine. It's simply a matter of purchasing one that fits your hand properly.

They are the virtual exclusive choice of every military organization, SWAT team and major police department in the industrialized world.

Some people are convinced that a .22LR handgun is "best for me". However, that doesn't make it a credible round for self-defense. What a lot of people think is "best for me", may get them seriously hurt or killed if they ever have to use it in a "SHTF" situation.

Old 02-25-2008, 06:21 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
IMHO a 4" .357 is a perfect start for a handgun collection. Simple, reliable, versitile. Light wadcutter taget loads with low recoil, heavy magnum HP's for defense, shot shells for snakes and rats. It is not the perfect combat handgun but it does a very good job at many different tasks. Remember that firepower does not mean a lot of bullets. It means enough bullets of sufficient power to stop the attacker. 15 9mm 115 FMJ's may not do what one or two .357 mag 125 or 158 JHP's will do. Statistically police shoot outs are less than 3 shots at less than 7 yards. Hitting the target, in a vital area with a good bullet at good velocity before he hits you is how you win. PRACTICE! IPSC basic rule and motto SPEED, ACCURACY, POWER. You must have a balance. Hitting him in the periferal areas quickly is not sufficient. Hitting him center mass with a .44 mag after he has shot you 10 times is not sufficient. Two to the chest, one to the head, makes a man good and dead.
Could not have put it better......absolutly right! Do not confuse military use of handguns with that of police.

A 4" .357 Revolver would be an excellent place to start......