Revolvers over Autos?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Revolvers over Autos?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2008, 04:01 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Revolvers over Autos?

I'd planned on getting a .45, only because that's what I used in the military, but after some research, it looks like revolvers are not only easier to fire, but just easier to take care of in general. You can tell if there loaded with one glance, easier to clean, you can get speed loaders if need be, (I can't see a need, but who knows,) and I was wondering. If there was ever an opinion to be had, this would be the place. What do you think, gang?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-08-2008, 02:10 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Glen,
Depends on what you want to use it for. Based off some of the indicators in your post, you are looking for a home defense gun. Also get the feeling that you are not looking for a carry gun. Need a little more information before we collectively can weigh in with our varied opinions. 'Cause that is what this bunch will do in a heartbeat, give you our opinion . Just need to know what you are thinking and what you want to do with it. Comes down to what you want and are comfortable with.
The revolver vs auto debate will not be reconciled...ever. You preference is what counts. The older I get the more I like my revolvers, but I carry and keep a 1911 for protection. Probably will not change that.
Good luck with your choice

Old 02-08-2008, 02:24 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My first thought was a 45, like I said because that's what I used back in the military. That was ages ago. What I'm looking for now is something that is easy to use, easy to load, easy to clean, etc, etc. I'm not Clint Eastwood, and I do plan on getting my CCW, so I'd like something small. I'm starting to hear horror stories about spring loaded getting jammed, the springs wearing out, problems like that. On the other hand, the pistols I'm told fire faster because of the springs. How fast do I have to fire? Don't really plan on getting into a shootout, (course, who knows). Spring loaded has clips, revolvers have speed loaders. I'm leaning toward the revolvers because of size, ease of cleaning and reliability. But, I must ask the experts. Opinions? Thanks in advance. (Oh, want the wife to at least get comfortable, and she's never touched a weapon her entire life, so that's a factor.)

Old 02-08-2008, 10:36 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Glen,
No worries with a quality modern auto. I too grew up in the army of the M1911 .45. They were rattle traps for sure, but modern technology has done great things for the 1911. You may want to scale back to a .38 if you want a revolver, a 9mm (at a minimum) for an auto. Your personal preference, but the Mrs. may find a revolver easier to learn to operate. You may not like the "feel" of modern high capacity autos, but give them a chance; you may want to rent from a local range and shoot a few different models before deciding. Who knows, maybe Household 6 will enjoy it as a sport, she may demand one of her own...it is fairly contaigous.
Good luck

Old 02-08-2008, 05:34 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Narrowing it down to a .38.

I'm looking closer and closer at .38's, but I'm confused about barrel length's. I read somewhere that only folks like ATF use the 2" barrel, the 4" barrel is easier to use, and to my eyes, the 10" barrel looks HUGE. Anybody got the real deal? Again, I want something for home protection, something I can teach wife to use in case I'm not around, conceal carry if needed, (I've carried large amounts of cash in downtown Chicago, and that ain't never gonna happen again, I'm in the boonies of North Florida, and I'm happy here), and probably recreational. Was on rifle team up north and we have a range just a few mile from here. Haven't joined yet because of an accident, but I will. So, who's got the scoop on the .38? Thanks.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:32 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2731 Times on 1430 Posts
Likes Given: 231

If you are looking toward .38 look further at a .357 mag. It will reliably shoot .38's and you will have the option of upping the ante if needed. IMHO 2" .38's should never be considered a primary weapon. Sight radius is too short for any accuracy beyond 10 feet (for most shooters). Ejector rod is too short to fully eject the cases. A 4" is the standard. Works well with most ammo, is reasonably compact and has a much better sight radius. For adjustable sights look at a Smith and Wesson M-66 (stainless steel) or a M-19 (blued steel). For a fixed sight set up look at the Smith and Wesson M-65. The 4" barrel version has a square butt and the 3" version has a round butt.

Old 02-09-2008, 02:07 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks, actually, I was thinking about the 4" .38, but was surprised to hear about the .357 firing .38's. Shows you how much I need to learn. The kickback of a .357 firing a .38 would me minimal I would think, so it would be a whole lot easier for my wife to learn. Come to think of it, there are some creatures down here I wouldn't mind having a .357 handy if I come face to face with. (This is the only state I've ever lived in where they have crossing signs for bears, panthers, beware of gator signs in the lakes, and now thanks to the nimrods that don't know any better, people have been turning loose boa's. Luckily, I'm up north and the boa's, are in the southern part of the state.) Course, we still have moccasins and rattlers up here, but I still love Florida. Have to do some real research into .357's.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:21 AM   #8

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

My first handgun purchase was a police return Model 19-5 S&W. Bought it for $300. Four inch barrel. The .357 is definitely sharper than a .38 on the hands. I bought Hogue grips to replace the original. Maybe buy a .22 first to introduce shooting to the wife, then graduate to larger calibers? No sense in scaring her off by the recoil....

9x18=Makarov

Old 02-17-2008, 09:50 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'd strongly recommend you go with a semi-auto, Glen.

Over the last few decades, hundreds of police departments around the country have retired their revolvers and started issuing semi-autos.

The reason being that criminals armed with semi-autos simply had too much firepower for the police to handle.

A small revolver as a backup gun is OK, but you need a good semi-auto chambered for at least 9mm as your primary weapon, if you want the best choice for home defense and carry.

Old 02-20-2008, 02:00 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ihave both. A four in. 357 is probably the best all around gun. Little two inch snubs can be a real handful especially to those unfamiliar. Little guns especially those of light weight, recoil harder than service sized autos and revolvers. Though you don't have to break a revolver down for general maintenance cleaning all the cylinder holes and the bore carefully from the muzzle can be tedious. Most modern autos disassemble easily for cleaning. they are both alot of fun to shoot!