Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Revolver vs. Semi-auto

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2011, 01:04 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Revolver vs. Semi-auto

What are the pros/cons of getting a revolver vs. a semiauto, magazine (clip) fed handgun? Before I started looking at all this stuff, I assumed that revolvers were really a "thing of the past", but am quickly finding out that many people prefer them.

Please explain to a dummy like me on this one

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-01-2011, 01:22 PM   #2
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6665 Times on 4032 Posts
Likes Given: 7919

I am pretty new to guns and my first gun is a revolver. It was explained to me that revolvers seldom have firing problems and for a newbie, it is very easy to tell if it's unloaded by opening the cylinder and looking. In a semi-auto pistol, even when you take the magazine out there still may be a round loaded in the chamber that you might forget about. It happens. I am very happy with my revolver and I have just recently starting thinking about getting a semi-auto pistol. But it is a personal choice and personal preference. Either way, I suggest getting together with an instructor or someone who is very knowledgeable about shooting and who would like to help you along.

I don't consider revolvers 'a thing of the past', I think of them more as 'classics'.

Also, the revolver I have shoots either .38, .38+P and .357 magnums so you have a little versatility with some revolvers.

Old 07-01-2011, 01:23 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Revolver pros
1.) Versatility
2.) More simple in design
3.) Power
4.) Good looking
5.) Extremely fun to shoot and handle

Cons;
1.) Gernaly low capacity
2.) Not as fast to reload as a semi automatic
3.) Lower fire rate
4.) More time spent reloading

Semi auto Pros;
1.) Generally high capacity
2.) Higher fire rate
3.)Quicker to reload
4.)Generally lighter than a revolver

Cons
1.)Not as versatile
2.)Generally not as powerful
3.)Can malfunction more
4.)Not as simple in design

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 07-01-2011, 01:42 PM   #4

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by taihawk View Post
What are the pros/cons of getting a revolver vs. a semi-auto, magazine (clip) fed handgun? Before I started looking at all this stuff, I assumed that revolvers were really a "thing of the past", but am quickly finding out that many people prefer them.

Please explain to a dummy like me on this one
There is really no point in doing a vs. type discussion if you don't state the purpose of the firearm. Hunting, self defense, target shooting, holding in your sweaty hands with a silly grin on your face? All of them valid activities to carry out with a handgun.

The development of the modern revolver and the modern autoloader has been going on in parallel for the last 100+ years so while the modern revolver has a slight edge to the autoloader age-wise at this point in history they are BOTH classic designs (1911 is 100 years old, hardly a spring chicken).

I don't really even see a point in a vs. discussion just for the sake of it. There are many other factors to consider in judging a firearm's suitability for a task besides feeding method. Besides they are both fun and everyone should have multiples of each...

Old 07-01-2011, 01:47 PM   #5

Liked 425 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Revolvers will never be a "thing of the past". They are timeless and as your taste in guns grows, you will begin to appreciate the finer things that revolvers offer. I don't know that anyone is truly a semi auto OR revolver person. Most people have both and enjoy shooting both. Sometimes I feel like going out and spraying lead and firing hundreds of rounds. That's when I take my autos out. Other times I feel like leisure shooting and appreciate the finer details of a nice revolver trigger. Get some of both.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:10 PM   #6

Liked 325 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 918

do what i did and buy a couple of each and enjoy because there both fun and offer diffrent uses for diffrent situations.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:44 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

I own and love both.

When I make comparisons here, assume I'm talking about a revolver and auto that are of similar quality and barrel length.

Revolvers tend to be more accurate (fixed barrel). (Yes, I know there are some autos with fixed barrels.)

If you're fighting for your life and the round doesn't fire, with a revolver, you can just pull the trigger again for your next chance. With an auto, you have to change mags or draw another gun.

Revolvers are even less likely to jam than autos. When an auto does jam, it can often be cleared and put back to work. When a revolver truly jams, it usually involves something caught in the cylinder that freezes the whole thing up. If that happens, you need to draw another gun.

The two things I listed above don't happen often, and if you just want a range gun, they don't matter much.

An auto is more likely to have a user-induced malfunction, usually a "stovepipe." Good practice will make this problem disappear.

There is a lot more you can do with revolver grips to make a particular gun fit your hand. Since the ammunition isn't stored inside the grip, the grip size isn't dependent on the size of the ammo.

A revolver is more difficult to conceal because the cylinder makes it wider.

A revolver will typically be longer than an auto that has the same barrel length because the magazine (cylinder) and grip come one behind the other, rather than taking up the same space.

As you acquire more firearms, I definitely recommend at least one of each type. In my own case, learning to shoot a revolver (fairly) well has improved my shooting of autos as well.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 07-01-2011, 03:32 PM   #8

Liked 672 Times on 448 Posts
Likes Given: 678

I never thought id have a revolver.... BUT, here it is ...
Does this look like a "thing of the past"??........

107_4877.jpg  

Old 07-01-2011, 03:46 PM   #9

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

In the prophetic words of Trez; "Does this look like a "thing of the past"??........"

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 07-01-2011, 04:14 PM   #10

Liked 672 Times on 448 Posts
Likes Given: 678

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
In the prophetic words of Trez; "Does this look like a "thing of the past"??........"

Those are some pretty spiffy loaders and tray...