Revolver or Semi-Auto
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Revolver or Semi-Auto

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2009, 05:53 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Revolver or Semi-Auto

I'm sure this question has been asked, but beinng fairly new to this forum I thought I would throw it out for opinions then decide for myself.

I live in a safe neighborhood, work in a fairly safe city and periodically hike and camp with my kids and wife. Last year I invested in a 9mm semi-auto and got my carry permit. Since that time I have shot often and carried the weapon little. Despite it being a "sub-compact" 9mm its still fairly bulky and not easily concealed for the clothes I wear.

Also, its always loaded, but not cocked as it does not have a saftey and I don't want to inadvertantly grab it and have it go off. Yes....I do practice unholstering the gun, but its just a preference not to have it cocked in holster since the trigger is lighter.

So here is my dilema......
I'm considering a snub nose revolver (.38 special?) because it fits nicley in my pocket (so I will carry it more) and is ready to fire when I pull it out. It only holds 6 rounds, but I'm not planninng on being in a full scale gun battle either. I also like the .38 because its got a bit more juice then the 9mm in the event we run into a animal hiking. I know a .357 or a 44magnum would be better for larger animals, but again I live in a state with small black bears and maybe a cougar or two....no Grizzlys.

Like to hear your suggestions...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-28-2009, 11:25 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by northhike View Post
I'm sure this question has been asked, but beinng fairly new to this forum I thought I would throw it out for opinions then decide for myself.

I live in a safe neighborhood, work in a fairly safe city and periodically hike and camp with my kids and wife. Last year I invested in a 9mm semi-auto and got my carry permit. Since that time I have shot often and carried the weapon little. Despite it being a "sub-compact" 9mm its still fairly bulky and not easily concealed for the clothes I wear.

Also, its always loaded, but not cocked as it does not have a saftey and I don't want to inadvertantly grab it and have it go off. Yes....I do practice unholstering the gun, but its just a preference not to have it cocked in holster since the trigger is lighter.

So here is my dilema......
I'm considering a snub nose revolver (.38 special?) because it fits nicley in my pocket (so I will carry it more) and is ready to fire when I pull it out. It only holds 6 rounds, but I'm not planninng on being in a full scale gun battle either. I also like the .38 because its got a bit more juice then the 9mm in the event we run into a animal hiking. I know a .357 or a 44magnum would be better for larger animals, but again I live in a state with small black bears and maybe a cougar or two....no Grizzlys.

Like to hear your suggestions...
There's nothing wrong with carrying a .38 Special. I often carry a Ruger LCR (only a 5 shot) and I keep it loaded up with +P Defender ammo. This is a light weight revolver and surprizingly accurate.

The bottom line is, carry what you are most comfortable with.

Old 11-28-2009, 01:13 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Nothing wrong with a 38 for self defense but I personally wouldn't want it for a woods gun. If it were me, I would buy a 357. You can use the 38s for practice and 357s for carry in social areas or in the woods. The 357 will do everything a 38 will do and much, much more. I agree with Mark, shoot what you are comfortable with, that is the most important thing.

Also, I'm not sure where you got the idea that a 38 is hotter then a 9mm. In the standard loads for both the 9mm carries about 100# more energy then the 38. Not trying to highjack your thread or start a pissing contest, I'm just sayin....

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 11-28-2009, 02:29 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

A 38 special is more than adequate as a carry gun. I have carried a 380 auto for 50 years. I know that the current thinking is that you need a hand cannon with large clips but realistically even a 22 or 32 revolver and even a 25 auto will get the job done. As I have said before it is not the caliber of weapon but the skill of the user that makes the difference. A 22 will kill a person just as dead as a shotgun with buckshot.

For a woods gun I feel that anything that is easily concealed is inadequate for woods protection because of their short barrels. I usually carry an S&W Military & police 38 special with a six-inch barrel. Believe it or not I sometimes carry a 44 cal cap and ball revolver with a seven and half inch barrel. I am comfortable with either one.

Old 11-28-2009, 02:49 PM   #5

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

spittinfire,

I had read on another forum about the .38 having more energy then a .38. A .38 is a short .357 as I understand it. Regardless......my question is really about revolver vs. semi-auto. I'm not a "bigger is better" guy. I believe in a weapon that can get the job done, but what I am coming to realize (via the comments) is that I may need two guns.....one for the woods in the event I run into an animal (which requires more fire power) and one for carry. I was trying to find one that could do both.

Old 11-28-2009, 02:55 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by northhike View Post
spittinfire,

I had read on another forum about the .38 having more energy then a .38. A .38 is a short .357 as I understand it. Regardless......my question is really about revolver vs. semi-auto. I'm not a "bigger is better" guy. I believe in a weapon that can get the job done, but what I am coming to realize (via the comments) is that I may need two guns.....one for the woods in the event I run into an animal (which requires more fire power) and one for carry. I was trying to find one that could do both.
You are correct, the 357 was created by lengthening a 38. I stand by my earlier statement, I'd go with a 357.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 11-28-2009, 03:19 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2983 Times on 1554 Posts
Likes Given: 275

I am trying to think of a high capacity 9mm that can be loaded but uncocked and has no external safety and a light trigger. What to you currently have?

IMHO a 4" .357 Mag revolver should be the first handgun in any colection. Versitile, powerful, accurate, reasonably sized.

Firepower? You are one of the first people I have seen acknowlege POWER as an integral part of firepower.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 11-28-2009, 04:37 PM   #8

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

If you can, purchase a .357 magnum 4 inch revolver (Smith and Wesson, Ruger, and Taurus being some good choices). You can't go wrong with having a solid firearm that can operate with two different calibers (.357 for protection, and .38 special for range practice).

Two for the price of one.

Old 11-28-2009, 04:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
IMHO a 4" .357 Mag revolver should be the first handgun in any colection. Versitile, powerful, accurate, reasonably sized.
+1
I totally agree!!
My very first firearm (over 22 yrs. ago) was a S&W .357Mag, 4" barrel, revolver. I still own & use it.

I wouldn't recommend the small calibers, due to the fact of an animal in the woods may take you by surprise and with adrenalin rushes a well placed shot is highly unlikely. When I'm in the deep woods huntin' I have my S&W .357Mag (mentioned above) with me strapped on my side. A revolver is more reliable in the woods than a pistol due to the fact of dirt & grime. I would have to go with the other suggestions on getting a .357 Magnum revolver for the woods and like said you could always run .38 loads through it when necessary. If I was in the woods where big game hangout, such as moose & grizzly, I would recommend a .460 revolver.

Can't go wrong with a S&W or Ruger revolvers.

Old 11-28-2009, 06:07 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

4" Ruger GP100. It's a tank. It's not the best CC handgun, but is an excellent woods gun.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams