Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Revolver or Semi-Auto (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/revolver-semi-auto-20510/)

northhike 11-28-2009 05:53 AM

Revolver or Semi-Auto
 
I'm sure this question has been asked, but beinng fairly new to this forum I thought I would throw it out for opinions then decide for myself.

I live in a safe neighborhood, work in a fairly safe city and periodically hike and camp with my kids and wife. Last year I invested in a 9mm semi-auto and got my carry permit. Since that time I have shot often and carried the weapon little. Despite it being a "sub-compact" 9mm its still fairly bulky and not easily concealed for the clothes I wear.

Also, its always loaded, but not cocked as it does not have a saftey and I don't want to inadvertantly grab it and have it go off. Yes....I do practice unholstering the gun, but its just a preference not to have it cocked in holster since the trigger is lighter.

So here is my dilema......
I'm considering a snub nose revolver (.38 special?) because it fits nicley in my pocket (so I will carry it more) and is ready to fire when I pull it out. It only holds 6 rounds, but I'm not planninng on being in a full scale gun battle either. I also like the .38 because its got a bit more juice then the 9mm in the event we run into a animal hiking. I know a .357 or a 44magnum would be better for larger animals, but again I live in a state with small black bears and maybe a cougar or two....no Grizzlys. :)

Like to hear your suggestions...

Mark F 11-28-2009 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by northhike (Post 191440)
I'm sure this question has been asked, but beinng fairly new to this forum I thought I would throw it out for opinions then decide for myself.

I live in a safe neighborhood, work in a fairly safe city and periodically hike and camp with my kids and wife. Last year I invested in a 9mm semi-auto and got my carry permit. Since that time I have shot often and carried the weapon little. Despite it being a "sub-compact" 9mm its still fairly bulky and not easily concealed for the clothes I wear.

Also, its always loaded, but not cocked as it does not have a saftey and I don't want to inadvertantly grab it and have it go off. Yes....I do practice unholstering the gun, but its just a preference not to have it cocked in holster since the trigger is lighter.

So here is my dilema......
I'm considering a snub nose revolver (.38 special?) because it fits nicley in my pocket (so I will carry it more) and is ready to fire when I pull it out. It only holds 6 rounds, but I'm not planninng on being in a full scale gun battle either. I also like the .38 because its got a bit more juice then the 9mm in the event we run into a animal hiking. I know a .357 or a 44magnum would be better for larger animals, but again I live in a state with small black bears and maybe a cougar or two....no Grizzlys. :)

Like to hear your suggestions...

There's nothing wrong with carrying a .38 Special. I often carry a Ruger LCR (only a 5 shot) and I keep it loaded up with +P Defender ammo. This is a light weight revolver and surprizingly accurate.

The bottom line is, carry what you are most comfortable with.

spittinfire 11-28-2009 01:13 PM

Nothing wrong with a 38 for self defense but I personally wouldn't want it for a woods gun. If it were me, I would buy a 357. You can use the 38s for practice and 357s for carry in social areas or in the woods. The 357 will do everything a 38 will do and much, much more. I agree with Mark, shoot what you are comfortable with, that is the most important thing.

Also, I'm not sure where you got the idea that a 38 is hotter then a 9mm. In the standard loads for both the 9mm carries about 100# more energy then the 38. Not trying to highjack your thread or start a pissing contest, I'm just sayin....

Walley 11-28-2009 02:29 PM

A 38 special is more than adequate as a carry gun. I have carried a 380 auto for 50 years. I know that the current thinking is that you need a hand cannon with large clips but realistically even a 22 or 32 revolver and even a 25 auto will get the job done. As I have said before it is not the caliber of weapon but the skill of the user that makes the difference. A 22 will kill a person just as dead as a shotgun with buckshot.

For a woods gun I feel that anything that is easily concealed is inadequate for woods protection because of their short barrels. I usually carry an S&W Military & police 38 special with a six-inch barrel. Believe it or not I sometimes carry a 44 cal cap and ball revolver with a seven and half inch barrel. I am comfortable with either one.

northhike 11-28-2009 02:49 PM

spittinfire,

I had read on another forum about the .38 having more energy then a .38. A .38 is a short .357 as I understand it. Regardless......my question is really about revolver vs. semi-auto. I'm not a "bigger is better" guy. I believe in a weapon that can get the job done, but what I am coming to realize (via the comments) is that I may need two guns.....one for the woods in the event I run into an animal (which requires more fire power) and one for carry. I was trying to find one that could do both.

spittinfire 11-28-2009 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by northhike (Post 191517)
spittinfire,

I had read on another forum about the .38 having more energy then a .38. A .38 is a short .357 as I understand it. Regardless......my question is really about revolver vs. semi-auto. I'm not a "bigger is better" guy. I believe in a weapon that can get the job done, but what I am coming to realize (via the comments) is that I may need two guns.....one for the woods in the event I run into an animal (which requires more fire power) and one for carry. I was trying to find one that could do both.

You are correct, the 357 was created by lengthening a 38. I stand by my earlier statement, I'd go with a 357.

robocop10mm 11-28-2009 03:19 PM

I am trying to think of a high capacity 9mm that can be loaded but uncocked and has no external safety and a light trigger. What to you currently have?

IMHO a 4" .357 Mag revolver should be the first handgun in any colection. Versitile, powerful, accurate, reasonably sized.

Firepower? You are one of the first people I have seen acknowlege POWER as an integral part of firepower.

SGT-MILLER 11-28-2009 04:37 PM

If you can, purchase a .357 magnum 4 inch revolver (Smith and Wesson, Ruger, and Taurus being some good choices). You can't go wrong with having a solid firearm that can operate with two different calibers (.357 for protection, and .38 special for range practice).

Two for the price of one.

UnderFire 11-28-2009 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm (Post 191523)
IMHO a 4" .357 Mag revolver should be the first handgun in any colection. Versitile, powerful, accurate, reasonably sized.

+1
I totally agree!!
My very first firearm (over 22 yrs. ago) was a S&W .357Mag, 4" barrel, revolver. I still own & use it.

I wouldn't recommend the small calibers, due to the fact of an animal in the woods may take you by surprise and with adrenalin rushes a well placed shot is highly unlikely. When I'm in the deep woods huntin' I have my S&W .357Mag (mentioned above) with me strapped on my side. A revolver is more reliable in the woods than a pistol due to the fact of dirt & grime. I would have to go with the other suggestions on getting a .357 Magnum revolver for the woods and like said you could always run .38 loads through it when necessary. If I was in the woods where big game hangout, such as moose & grizzly, I would recommend a .460 revolver.

Can't go wrong with a S&W or Ruger revolvers.

CA357 11-28-2009 06:07 PM

4" Ruger GP100. It's a tank. It's not the best CC handgun, but is an excellent woods gun.
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/e...17stock009.jpg


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:48 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.