Revolver or Pistol for beginners? - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Revolver or Pistol for beginners?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2011, 09:46 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
they determined that the double-action revolver took twice the training ammunition and three times the training time to gain a level of proficiency their street cops needed--and that the revolver shooter required more retraining to keep that skill level.
I don't know why I didn't think about this earlier, but the quote the OP posted seems to be talking about training cops for tactical shooting, not training a new shooter to shoot.

There's a deference. Teach a new shooter is about introducing them to firearms safety, aiming, breathing, stance, trigger control, muzzle control, how firearms function, etc.

I believe the quote used by the OP is talking more about getting them to a proficient level of combat readiness, not teaching them how to shoot for the first time. Yes, it is going to be easier to get someone to a certain tactical skill level if they have the advantage of higher capacity magazines, and the ease of changing magazines, but that hardly has to do with teaching someone how to shoot.

I hope that made sense, I know it was kind of a rambling.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000

Old 05-28-2011, 10:00 PM   #12
Jay

Liked 17 Times on 11 Posts

A properly taught class should have a variety of handguns for beginners to shoot. Take a class...... try different handguns, THEN decide. Absent a physical handicap, virtually anyone can shoot any handgun, given proper training, and practice. If a physical disability, or inability presents itself, that's a different ball game. To generalize who should shoot what platform is simply guesswork, and cannot always, or even most of the time be accurately determined.

Just my two cents......

NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 05-28-2011, 10:11 PM   #13

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Another part of being a new shooter is building confidence with firearms. That obviously is going to happen quicker with a revolver because of the simplicity of the machine...less controls = less complicated = more self confidence handling/operating.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000

Old 05-29-2011, 12:17 AM   #14
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2270 Times on 1227 Posts
Likes Given: 821

I really don't think it makes a bit of difference. There are pros and cons to every gun, and it really comes down to the user.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 05-30-2011, 02:10 AM   #15
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

First, a revolver and a semi auto are both pistols. I'm pondering how blood could make a revolver not operate, it's a fluid and unless it started to dry I can't imagine how.

A DA revolver is a fine chioce to start with as it has less moving parts and is truly simple to clean/maintain. They rarely fail to fire and reloading is basic. For the average person six shots in a hostile situation will likely be more than needed if they have practiced with the firearm. I like/shoot and CC both revolvers and semi auto pistols. Both have there place and when comes to a new shoter IMHO a revolver is a fine way to start. This guy is talking out his starfish, one of those that believe the more rounds the better and not too concerned with shot placement.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Last edited by WDB; 05-30-2011 at 02:13 AM.

Old 07-04-2011, 06:01 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 52

When I started training my 5 kids to shoot handguns I let them fire my Ruger 22/45 for a little while so they could have some fun at first, about 2 mags at the most.

When it actually came time to teaching them the basic's, I started them with the same handgun I was taught with, a old S&W K-frame .22LR. A semi is fine but they did not take their time and just sent rounds down range. With a revolver they had 6 shots to take out 6 targets. They learned to get a correct sight picture and hit what they shot at. In time there speed will increase as they get more experience. Then they will start with the semi's.

Old 07-04-2011, 12:24 PM   #17

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by knfxda View Post
I found this in a book review on amazon and I found the reviewer's position interesting. It seems to me that the convential wisdom is that pistols are the best choice for the untrained and many here have espoused this point of view. The reviewer provides reasoning for chosing the pistol over the revolver.

Not taking credit for anything above, just thought that it was an interesting take that I have heard put this clearly before.

(Not sure if linking to amazon or alternatively, not providing the link in bad form. So, sorry if I'm not following procedure for this type of thing. It's a review on a public site, so I don't think I'm showing bad form froma copywrite perspective.)

A long time ago in a galaxy far away from here I too used to espouse the ol' give them a revolver to start theory but the fact than many of the folks I've trained HATED working with a revolver (and the advice of many knowledgeable friends) made me re-evaluate that stance. My son, daughter and wife were picture perfect examples of this. All three discarded the revolvers for semi auto pistols early in their training and all are excellent shots today and all carry semi-autos for SD.

So I have learned to never make predetermined assessments and let the shooter decide.

Old 07-04-2011, 01:40 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
I really don't think it makes a bit of difference. There are pros and cons to every gun, and it really comes down to the user.
And the teacher.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 07-04-2011, 01:44 PM   #19

Liked 1838 Times on 952 Posts
Likes Given: 1398

!! WARNING !!
Thread digression
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
A properly taught class should have a variety of handguns for beginners to shoot.
I have been looking for just such a 'properly taught class'. I haven't found any. Either you have to already have your gun, or you use/rent one of their SIGs, at least 'near me'. Where are there beginning classes where one can try different revolvers and autos in different calibers?

Old 07-04-2011, 02:47 PM   #20

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by utf59 View Post
And the teacher.
BINGO!!!! If the teacher leaves his preconceived notions and prejudices at home it is amazing what the student can accomplish...