Revolver or Pistol for beginners?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Revolver or Pistol for beginners?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2011, 02:13 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Revolver or Pistol for beginners?

I found this in a book review on amazon and I found the reviewer's position interesting. It seems to me that the convential wisdom is that pistols are the best choice for the untrained and many here have espoused this point of view. The reviewer provides reasoning for chosing the pistol over the revolver.

Quote:
I prefer semi-automatic pistols to revolvers. The Product Link below [He links to Shooting to Live by Capt. W.E. Fairbairn's and Capt. E.A. Sykes] gives a partial reason--unlike the "conventional wisdom" real-world experience is that the revolver is harder to use and to keep in operation than the semi-automatic pistol. Sykes and Fairbairn trained a 6000 man international police force in the most-dangerous city on Earth and over two decades they determined that the double-action revolver took twice the training ammunition and three times the training time to gain a level of proficiency their street cops needed--and that the revolver shooter required more retraining to keep that skill level. My own armorer experience is that automatics are simple to repair, more durable than revolvers, and can run while dirtier than the revolver. During the Miami FBI shootout a wounded FBI agent couldn't reload his revolver because his own blood jammed his service revolver. A common shooter-induced revolver malfunction occurs when the shooter fails to complete the long, heavy trigger stroke and skips a loaded chamber. It is almost like limp-wristing the automatic. The revolver shortcomings are nothing that cannot be remedied by more training (and by carrying a second revolver) but the myth that revolvers are easier for beginners to use needs to be put to rest.
Not taking credit for anything above, just thought that it was an interesting take that I have heard put this clearly before.

(Not sure if linking to amazon or alternatively, not providing the link in bad form. So, sorry if I'm not following procedure for this type of thing. It's a review on a public site, so I don't think I'm showing bad form froma copywrite perspective.)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-28-2011, 02:58 PM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Rubbish! While I think pistols have the cool factor going, the only advantage they have to a new shooter in my opinion is the ease in which it can be reloaded...assuming you have extra loaded magazine not just a box/pocket of shells. I don't think speed loaders are very practical **for a new shooter**.

It seams that I remember hearing something about the LEO that had issues with his revolver because of his own blood, but for the life of me I can't figure out how that would occur. Something that is quite common for pistols is to have a empty case stove pipe, or stick on the extractor, or just bounce off the ejection port and land back in the action, or any number of other jams which the new shooter is now going to have to stop and clear in the middle of a firefight. Of course if he had a revolver it would only be a matter of pulling the trigger again.

I also think that DA triggers are a + for new shooters who are in any sort of adrenaline inducing situation, as it slows them down slightly and they might remember to aim before they are out of ammo. However with the DA pistols out there that's not much of a pistol vs. revolver argument any more.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000

Old 05-28-2011, 03:46 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I can see as to where semi auto would be good for beginners it automatically resets the trigger to single stage making it easier for them to shoot. On the other hand there's more moving parts and more things you have to learn operation wise. But when it comes to revolvers for single action you have to cock the hammer each time yo have less rounds to shoot so you have to think about your shot before you shoot it. Also there are less moving parts so cleaning is easier, and it takes almost an act of god to break a revolver (at least in my experience). As for blood gumming up a revolver I've never heard that before, for practical shooting purposes a revolver is the better way to train shooters it also makes people learn the fundamentals more then just being able to shoot 9 shots in a row.

"ever man out here has a timer, no one know how long it will take but no one last forever"
Sargent Miller

"cake or death! I'll have the cake then... SORRY WHERE OUT OF CAKE!... so it's or death? I'll have the chicken then please." Eddy Izzard

"so a suppose your going to kill me now? no he is I'm just here to watch"

"you know why guns are better then a woman?... you can put a silencer on a gun."

Old 05-28-2011, 03:46 PM   #4
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7814 Times on 4690 Posts
Likes Given: 9830

And with a revolver when you open the cylinder and it's empty........it's empty.

To the very new and sometimes even to the experienced, it's easy to forget when you remove the magazine from a semi-auto, there is still a round in the chamber.

I'm newbie to guns and a revolver was recommended to me for safety reasons for a beginner. I think I might be ready for a semi-auto.........because I really, REALLY want a Ruger Mark II.

Old 05-28-2011, 04:26 PM   #5

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

As long as it fits their hand properly, I almost always recommend a revolver for a raw beginner. Some people lack the hand strength to rack the slide of a semiauto. With a revolver you don't have to worry is the 1 in the chamber? Is the mag in the gun? Is the mag loaded? Is the safety on? etc

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 05-28-2011, 04:35 PM   #6
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3112 Times on 1788 Posts
Likes Given: 1325

Consider that normally 6 are all that is loaded in a revolver. That means the beginner has to reload when 6 have been shot.
Too often, I've seen beginners load their high capacity pistols to the max, shoot at the target, tire out quickly before all rounds are expended, and wonder why they aren't hitting the bull's-eye.

Sometimes being forced to reload allows the new shooter to evaluate their progress.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 05-28-2011, 05:07 PM   #7

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Another point to add to the revolver side of this discussion...weight.

And I mean the ease of shooting a heavy steel gun is going to make the recoil more manageable than a polymer, striker-fired semi-auto.

If a newbie starts with a steel .357 revolver (as Winds-of-Change did), preferably with a longer barrel for more weight, they can choose to fire .38 specials. That round is great to practice on and is still a dependable round to protect your family.

I vote for revolver first. I didn't do that, but it is a regret of mine. A 4" Smith & Wesson 686Plus is still waiting somewhere to find a home in my safe.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 05-28-2011, 06:58 PM   #8
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2400 Times on 1297 Posts
Likes Given: 690

My wife did not like loading magazines so I started her on a 22 revolver then went to a 4" S&W 19 with 38 spl. She got over the magazine thing and can handle a slide so now she is shooting her Ruger SR9c and a 22 Sig Hamerelli Trailside. She was cocking the revolvers for every shot because she could not handle the double action pull and stay on target. She wont touch my Kel-Tecs or my SP101.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 05-28-2011, 07:05 PM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse17 View Post
I also think that DA triggers are a + for new shooters who are in any sort of adrenaline inducing situation, as it slows them down slightly and they might remember to aim before they are out of ammo.
+1

I also think that a DA trigger on a revolver is great practice for an auto. It can really make one appreciate the importance of trigger control!

But then again, I'm biased

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!

Old 05-28-2011, 09:19 PM   #10

Liked 54 Times on 34 Posts

My automatics will never give the accuracy my ruger gp 100 will give me. There is just so much a person can do with a good revolver.