A Revolation About The Online Gun Community - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

A Revolation About The Online Gun Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2012, 03:38 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 335 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

It's not just gun forums. In a former life I was into cars...BIG TIME. The car forums are the exact same. So are the fishing forums, and the skiing forums, and all the rest. It's just how any online community is. It's why regular members tend to come and go and it will never end. The only thing I have found that helps me is to read what I like, post what I feel, and ignore the people who are annoying.
People Like This 
Old 06-26-2012, 08:42 AM   #22
The Stanley Cup winners......the Blackhawks
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8750 Times on 5226 Posts
Likes Given: 11600

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
I have noticed a few regular offenders. Some of them also have very good input at other times. I usually just avoid the confrontation.
This is it. Ignore the argumentative ones. Report posts so the Mods can take care of the bad post AND the poster.

When I first joined here I asked a gazillion questions, most very, VERY basic. I was treated with patience and kindness and I stuck around. I think it is important to be tolerant of each other and our opinions. Just remember, let's try to talk to each other as we would like to be talked to.
canebrake Likes This 
Old 06-26-2012, 10:52 AM   #23

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I agree with you winds, i'm still pretty new here. I've asked a question or two that i should have done a little more looking into first. But i have always been treated very fairly and with respect on my posts. This is a great comunity and i appreciate the knowledge that is here.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:01 PM   #24

Liked 2182 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympus View Post
I agree, I always want to try to help people out. It just seems like there have been a whole of people arguing semantics about things that really insignificant or philosophical questions that are borderline absurd. I mean is the average person really going to ever going to wear out a GP100 or S&W 686? Heck no! So what does it matter which one is "heftier"? Either will likely last our entire life, so in the big scheme of things what does it really matter? Or threads like whether you would trust your life to a 1911 or not. Threads like those are the ones I was referring to. I enjoy helping people learn more about their guns and answer questions, but sometimes it just gets to be a little too much.
Those don't really bother me (anymore)- at least they ask & act interested in something. Its the few that never ask for info, help (or even try to help) anyone that really push my buttons. Their replys are mostly silly child like totaly unrelated to the issue remarks with a hahahahaha throwed in-------------Fun is gud, but most who ask honestly want to learn- Let me toss in one more most--

Old 06-26-2012, 12:44 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

I find it often online, as I find it often in people too, a regularity of mediocrity.
But then without all those colorful ingredients that go into a given day making us laugh,
angry, or jaded, we would come out at the end of an assembly line as just another Romney,
another robot. Our flaws, ignorances, inferiorities, (and superiorities), knowledge, grammar, ideas,
and shouts, should be warmly accepted. For one day I suspect (and I hope that day never comes) we might just miss each other.

Old 06-26-2012, 02:30 PM   #26

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I think sometiimes ppl are quick to try and show how advanced they may (or may not) be when a newbie asks a "silly" question or a question they didn't already notice that has been "beat to death." Sometimes they're treated with a little respect and sometimes not. All and all this is a super knowledgable bunch of guys (and gals) and I for one learn something quite often. I try not to ingage the grumps, but as stated before " its the nature of the beast." I am much better off being a member of this forum than not :tears:

Last edited by mayscat44; 06-26-2012 at 02:33 PM.
canebrake Likes This 
Old 06-26-2012, 03:18 PM   #27
The Stanley Cup winners......the Blackhawks
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8750 Times on 5226 Posts
Likes Given: 11600

The man who got me interested in guns ended our friendship shortly after I bought my GP100. I almost sold my revolver because I didn't think I could continue to own it and not have help learning about guns. Then I came to my senses and realized it was all up to me, as most decisions have been in my life. I decided I wasn't going to let the ended friendship ruin my fun with my guns and I sought out gun forums. I joined one where I was treated shabbily because I knew so little about guns. My questions were answered in sarcasm and ridicule, if answered at all. Again, I was going to forget about shooting. Then I searched some more as I wasn't going to let a bunch of unfortunate circumstances stop me from owning, enjoying and shooting guns. Then I fell into this forum. I was welcomed by so many who seemed so eager to help. The people here went out of their way to encourage me, educate me, pull me along. I did come across a few very rude members who embarrassed me and made me feel stupid. They were dealt with swiftly. One member, who remains my friend to this day gave me some ideas on how to answer back 'smartly' to those that tried to embarrass me and make me feel stupid. I learned to be 'smart alec', oh, yes I did. I am very dedicated to this site as I have felt such a camaraderie with the people here. Enjoy the good members here, try to ignore the 'less desirable' ones. And above all I learned.......don't let the idiots get you down.
People Like This 
Old 06-26-2012, 03:31 PM   #28

Liked 2414 Times on 1504 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286
He mentioned yuengling. My favorite. Anyone know where I can find some in Louisiana?
Not gonna happen. Tennessee is the furthest south and west it will go.

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:32 PM   #29

Liked 2414 Times on 1504 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiebelhaus
I'm sorry if I've bothered anyone but that's the point of forums, for students or those less savvy to ask questions, while those who are more advanced sometimes answer them or create stickies with a thorough write up, firearms are not my forte...yet. I've been around them but just within the last few years my interest has re-sparked. I'm a Computer Tech who's very well versed with *Unix servers, if someone here asked a question about setting up a dual boot mac book or why stupid Citrix log in isn't authenticating, this is something I've repeated 1,000 times but it's my trade, think about the auto mechanic who's asked "When you turn over the key, do you hear the fuel pump kick in?" 1,000 times, if he doesn't want to explain how a fuel pump works on the internet then I'd suggest he not visit fordforums.org support section too much.
My wife is always mad about that Citrix thing.

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Wiebelhaus Likes This 
Old 06-26-2012, 03:44 PM   #30

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

I belong to a number of different forums; guns, welding, biking, etc. All forums have the know-it-alls who believe it's there way or the highway. They tend to be rude and sarcastic with their replies. They can totally turn a rookie away from the forum by bombasting an honest question with ridicule. It makes them feel superior. They need to get a life.

Honest differences of opinion can and should be openly discussed with tact and diplomacy. Preferences should be recognized for what they are. They're neither right or wrong or good or bad. They're just preferences. And we all have them.

I just retired 2 months ago. I was a computer instructor at a technical college and mostly taught senior citizens how to use their computer. You can imagine the questions I got. My only rule was there is no such thing as a dumb question. If there were, that would be the very best question to ask!!! So lets encourage those "dumb questions". And if you can't give a polite and helpful answer, SHUT UP!

Don <><

Last edited by genesis; 06-26-2012 at 05:35 PM.