The reviews say... - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

The reviews say...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2009, 12:56 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 163 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Hands on experience is the only thing I can offer. The bad thing is I usually see firearms when they're at their worst. Sometimes I get guns in for custom work or action tunes, things like that, but usually they come to me because they're broken or malfunctioning. I do have several firearms of my own and have developed some rather strong opinions over the 28 years I've been a gunsmith.

Old 10-07-2009, 02:32 PM   #12

Liked 92 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I'm pretty much the same as Bear, after 43 years as a gunsmith I have formed my own opinions also. I have not read a gun magazine for several years except for my American Rifleman. I bet if you put us together, Bear and I could write up a hell of a gun review magazine that the manufactures would not like at all. I don't know if it is still out there but, there used to be a no BS magazine called Gun Tests Magazine. They didn't pull any punches and didn't use manufactures advertising money. They were very objective in their testing. I have not seen one in many moons........

Jim...........

Old 10-07-2009, 03:47 PM   #13

Liked 26 Times on 7 Posts

Jim & Bear, I'm happy that y'all choose to hangout here and help all of us. Real hands-on experience is the only thing that matters. While I've owned and tinkered with a bunch of pistols, I'm about as far removed from being a gunsmith as you can imagine...

Old 10-07-2009, 04:48 PM   #14

Liked 359 Times on 202 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Jim & Bear, I'm happy that y'all choose to hangout here and help all of us. Real hands-on experience is the only thing that matters.
"Howard Johnson is RIGHT!" -- Blazing Saddles
(That is... I concur.)

Old 10-08-2009, 12:21 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Other than the obligatory copy of American Rifleman I get for being an NRA member - I do not read any gun magazines. I have a real problem with reading all the glowing reports and reviews on every gun they feature. Yes, I know they need the advertising $$$ from the gun makers; however, objectivity should be paramount if you're going to make recommendations on how folks spend their hard earned dollars.

I find that real life experience is the way to judge whether a handgun is a good value. If I'm considering something I have no experience with - I'll ask here and get honest answers.

Anybody else feel this way about the gun rags?
Anyone looking for gun tests that aren't biased by advertising may want to check out Gun Tests. Small rag with no advertising, and they will definitely pan any product that doesn't perform for them.

Lifetime Member, Second Amendment Foundation

Old 10-08-2009, 01:39 AM   #16

Liked 1444 Times on 812 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

"Being of the old school - the very old school - I wish to warn youthful readers against putting their faith in 'gun writers.' These people have a right to their opinions, but these opinions should not be taken as incontro-vertible. As a youth I was led astray on a number of subjects and had to learn of my errors by personal field experience. The fact that a man "has been there and done that" does not necessarily mean that he knows what he is talking about. Read as much as you wish, but read critically, and then submit your conclusions to the test. This is not always possible, so read carefully, read critically, and then reserve judgment. " Lieutenant Colonel Jeff Cooper (1920-2006)

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello