The reviews say...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > The reviews say...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2009, 01:17 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Default The reviews say...

Other than the obligatory copy of American Rifleman I get for being an NRA member - I do not read any gun magazines. I have a real problem with reading all the glowing reports and reviews on every gun they feature. Yes, I know they need the advertising $$$ from the gun makers; however, objectivity should be paramount if you're going to make recommendations on how folks spend their hard earned dollars.

I find that real life experience is the way to judge whether a handgun is a good value. If I'm considering something I have no experience with - I'll ask here and get honest answers.

Anybody else feel this way about the gun rags?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-30-2009, 02:34 PM   #2
Is it Friday yet?
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yes, yes I do feel the same way. I rarely if ever read them. The only real exception is if the lines are long at the store. I'll swing by the magazine rack and pick up one to browse while I stand in line, because everyone knows there are never any guy magazines at the checkout.

The trouble with that is that there are a few people out there that treat guns like some folks treat fantasy football. They have subscriptions to every mag printed, and can recite the complete ballistics table for the 300 whisper upon request. And since a few of these "fantasygun" folks (or is the correct term Mall Ninja?) know that I have my FFL, expect me to be able to do the same.

Either that or I am being asked "How much is a _________" Often my response is "I don't know, how much is a .........car?"

My favorite is "How much is an AR-15?"
"Which one?"
After that, it's an even 50/50 whether I get a blank stare or "Uh, Bushmaster."
And once you start asking about carbines, stocks, grips, flattop... ect. ,they usually just walk away.

Last edited by Troy Michalik; 09-30-2009 at 04:07 PM.

Old 09-30-2009, 03:12 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I think they're just a vehicle to advertise for the various manufacturers, I don't buy them.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-30-2009, 03:46 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Doesn't matter whether it's gun rags, car rags, tool rags, or anything. I enjoy reading them, but I don't count on their opinions for any of my purchases because my needs and wants are different than the reviewers.

Old 09-30-2009, 04:10 PM   #5

Liked 1123 Times on 665 Posts
Likes Given: 349

I think American Rifleman is worse than others. I don't think I have ever read a negative review from them.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 09-30-2009, 04:29 PM   #6

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I haven't bought a gun magazine since I have been going to SHOT to be honest.

When I was overseas, I bought everyone I could get my hands on, just to say current, and in that role, they were priceless.

As a source for a gun purchase? Definitely not. I have read WAY TOO MANY glowing reports about this factory weapon shooting incrediable groups only to see one in the shop a year later for a complete overhaul.

I think forum information, if from respected members, is far more valuable than any gun magazine could ever be to a consumer.

JD

Old 09-30-2009, 04:38 PM   #7

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Like me you have to take it with a grain of salt.

Old 09-30-2009, 05:35 PM   #8

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
I think forum information, if from respected members, is far more valuable than any gun magazine could ever be to a consumer.

JD
Loved the caveat JD, now all we need is a ready reference list of "respected members"...

Old 09-30-2009, 06:13 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I don't subscribe to any of the mags, but occasionally I will buy one or read it while the wife is shopping in the store, if there is something that interests me in it - or to keep up with any of the latest tactikool ninja accessories that may have come out. j/k

As for the reviews, I will browse them to see the features of the item, if there isn't one locally that I can fondle to find out

But as far as purchasing, that is based on my experience while fondling the item, or by renting one at the range, shooting someone else's, doing research on the net/factory site, etc. - but final decision is based on how I feel with that particular piece, not by hearsay or by any writer's opinion.

Just the way I roll.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:57 PM   #10
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I don't waist my time or money on magazines...