Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Researching my first gun but need a place to rent...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2010, 01:49 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdeserthills View Post
I'm sure you are correct. As a gun dealer it bothers me to hear people that have the special need to "try out" the gun before purchase........
Bill, I personally have not regretted getting to try out guns before I made decisions to buy. I went in "knowing" what I wanted, but after trying several I ended up with something that wasn't what I had originally planned to buy.

Considering this is his first gun, I think trying before buying is a great idea. Now, once he's onto 10, or 20, or 30 more down the road, I would think testing before buying is probably no longer an important factor.

Old 08-28-2010, 05:23 AM   #12

Liked 39 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 20

potentpotables300.jpg

"Always carry a small flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite. Furthermore, always carry a small snake." W.C. Fields

Old 08-28-2010, 10:39 AM   #13
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2666 Times on 1552 Posts
Likes Given: 1184

What is a lager?

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 08-28-2010, 11:38 AM   #14

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
My advice is you stop screwing around & buy a gun. You really don't hafta try it first, as guns all share several things and if you are buying it for self-defense you may not be shooting it ever...
This is about the worst advice I've ever seen on this forum.

Why would anyone buy a gun for self defense and not intend on shooting it to become proficient?

Guns, like lots of other items in life, vary a lot. What works well for you may not work well for me. Glocks are reliable guns - but due to the grip angle and other ergonomic issues I do not shoot them well.

You may own a billion guns and be the world's foremost expert on all things handgun; however, I truly suggest you quit dispensing really bad advice...

Old 08-28-2010, 01:09 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
What is a lager?
Oooh, i'm sorry, sir, but that's incorrect

"Always carry a small flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite. Furthermore, always carry a small snake." W.C. Fields

Old 08-28-2010, 01:17 PM   #16

Liked 1688 Times on 952 Posts
Likes Given: 1131

I agree on asking friends to let you shoot theirs. You don't even know what caliber you want yet. Your first handgun, especially one for self defense is a very important desicion. Someday your life may depend on that choice. Large calibers are great for self defense. But, some people can't handle big recoil. What ever you get, plan on shooting it at least once every couple of months just to be sure you are familiar with it. Revolvers are great for new shooters. No safeties to worry about. Easy to maintain. If you got a .357 mag you could shoot 38 special too. Their is a wide variety of ammo available. It is not the cheapest out there but still reasonable.

Have you considered a shooting or self defense class. Pistol competitions are a blast even if you are not very good.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 08-28-2010, 01:19 PM   #17

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaggle View Post
Oooh, i'm sorry, sir, but that's incorrect
What is a Porter?

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 08-28-2010, 01:59 PM   #18

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
I'm sure you are correct. As a gun dealer it bothers me to hear people that have the special need to "try out" the gun before purchase, as I now own hundreds of guns and trying out any one of them would never have kept me from buying that particular gun.
So....let me get this straight, since you are a gun dealer and you have hundreds of varieties of guns, and being the helpful and responsible business man that you no doubt are, you probably would not mind then if they tried out some of your personal handguns to find that first handgun that may fit them?

If I was looking to buy a new handgun or rifle, different from what I shoot now, I would seriously make it a mission to handle and shoot one like it, before buying it, especially if it was looking for my first one.

Here's a great, but respectful comparison...guns are like fine women, the next step after finding a good one is trying them out. Compatibility, personal comfort, dependability, satisfaction and commitment are pretty much common to both.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 08-29-2010, 02:15 AM   #19
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
My advice is you stop screwing around & buy a gun. You really don't hafta try it first, as guns all share several things and if you are buying it for self-defense you may not be shooting it ever...
Swim, good for you to want to find what fits you best. I hope you can find a place to do just that. Then you will have a firearm that truly fits your need.

Bill your either dense or just full of Sh&t. Even the most expereinced wants to hold and shoot a firearm they are not familar with before making the purchase. If you are a "firearms dealer" I expect you selling low end firearm and tell people they can take down any threat with the POS you sell them.

You should go to work for Avon as it is more ethical to tell an uguly chick the makeup makes her look pretty than to spew the gun advice you just did.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:29 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
What is a Porter?
That is correct, sir!

Choose your category!