Requiem to a HiPoint... - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Requiem to a HiPoint...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2009, 10:21 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

When I was a poor kid, I got a Raven .25 as a gift from my GF at the time. I still have it buried away somewhere around Chez Rock.

It has at least 3,000 rds through it, and has never malfunctioned. For sentimental reasons I'll never get rid of it, and know I could rely on it to work in a pinch.

Would it be something I'd buy today? Nope. But it works as well today as it did 25 years ago.

Old 07-26-2009, 04:27 AM   #12
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Not dumping on any firearm that works consistantly. I understand the need for less expensive firearms but have always held to the moto "what's your life worth? I believe that low priced firearms are aimed to those that shouldn't have them in the first place. I expect I can be easily be proven wrong but it's my opinion. Then again look at how many shootings happen with a small caliber or old pistol. As much as we are told the thug has a a sweet pistol in most cases that is far from correct more the exception than the rule.

All that aside, like my homeowner/car or life insurance my firearm requires the same thought, what is the best firearm, I can afford for the purpose I expect to use it for. If one round or just showing the firearm would surfice, then a highpoint might be fine but I expect that it will be more than one round required to end a threat and if I show my firearm in a threat situation I expect I will be firing it.

As I said I could be completely wrong but it's how I see it.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 07-26-2009, 04:43 AM   #13

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

You are correct in your thoughts as usual, WDB. As an owner of a .45 Hi Point, I can tell you that I did not buy it for personal protection. I bought it to wear out and then send it back to get a new one.

My thoughts are this. If you want a pistol for home protection, you may want to get a well built da revolver. It goes bang every time. It is my luck that if I needed any semi in defense, it will fail to feed for one reason or another. That's just my feeling, and the same goes for shotgun protection. Pumps are the way to go for me. I would suggest that a new buyer of a pistol for defense look for a used Smithy or newer Ruger or Taurus. I have made my stance very clear about my well functioning Hi Point. It is not my first line nor my second line. I would not be afraid to use it as my second line, if I had to, but I don't.

I love my 4095 carbine, tho.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 07-26-2009, 07:02 AM   #14
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
You are correct in your thoughts as usual, WDB. As an owner of a .45 Hi Point, I can tell you that I did not buy it for personal protection. I bought it to wear out and then send it back to get a new one.

My thoughts are this. If you want a pistol for home protection, you may want to get a well built da revolver. It goes bang every time. It is my luck that if I needed any semi in defense, it will fail to feed for one reason or another. That's just my feeling, and the same goes for shotgun protection. Pumps are the way to go for me. I would suggest that a new buyer of a pistol for defense look for a used Smithy or newer Ruger or Taurus. I have made my stance very clear about my well functioning Hi Point. It is not my first line nor my second line. I would not be afraid to use it as my second line, if I had to, but I don't.

I love my 4095 carbine, tho.
SK,
I think the 4095 is a far different animal than the highpoint pistol. But have to say with the tune up Sgt Miller did on his highpoint and the result it can be a decent pistol with some easy work on the feed ramp. Not one I would chose but a reasonable choice, I think Sgt Miller was into to it for less that $200 but still said his Ruger P95 was his first choice

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:46 AM   #15

I never had a problem with Hi-points other than them being butt ugly and as big as a brick until I watched a young guy try to use one at the range while it choked and malfunctioned every other shot,....a useless gun is useless, might as well have had the brick.

Old 08-23-2009, 11:43 PM   #16

i know my first handgun was a lorcin 380 which always jammed up or misfed the 2nd bullet so you had one shot and you better not miss. thats why i quickly sold it back to the pawn shop and ended up getting a smith and wesson sigma 9ve i know some people talk smack about that gun too but i got lots of rounds thru it and not one misfed or jam. i would stake my life on that gun. would i like a better one? sure but that'll do the job til i can afford to upgrade. and how did this become a thread about bashing high points