Requiem to a HiPoint...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Requiem to a HiPoint...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2009, 05:06 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Requiem to a HiPoint...

As I was typing this in the original thread I noticed it was abruptly closed, so feel free to close this one too! As an aside...gun enthusiasts and pro-2nd Amendment supporters should be careful about "bad mouthing" products that they don't like or agree with. Almost every manufacturer makes a model that doesn't receive universal acclaim from shooters. Some companies exist solely to provide cheap self-defense tools and guns that everyone can afford. This reminds me of the "saturday night special" ban. Not everyone can afford a "quality" expensive handgun. If that's all that was available, many lower income citizens and minorities would be left defenseless. Any gun is better than no gun. That being said, anyone with the funds to purchase a "quality" firearm should spend as much as they can afford to acquire the highest quality gun they can buy, but we should be careful not to become "gun snobs"....

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 07-24-2009 at 05:10 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-24-2009, 05:20 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
As I was typing this in the original thread I noticed it was abruptly closed, so feel free to close this one too! As an aside...gun enthusiasts and pro-2nd Amendment supporters should be careful about "bad mouthing" products that they don't like or agree with. Almost every manufacturer makes a model that doesn't receive universal acclaim from shooters. Some companies exist solely to provide cheap self-defense tools and guns that everyone can afford. This reminds me of the "saturday night special" ban. Not everyone can afford a "quality" expensive handgun. If that's all that was available, many lower income citizens and minorities would be left defenseless. Any gun is better than no gun. That being said, anyone with the funds to purchase a "quality" firearm should spend as much as they can afford to acquire the highest quality gun they can buy, but we should be careful not to become "gun snobs"....
That is true, if that is all you can have, then any gun is better than none if you need it.

Layton

Old 07-24-2009, 07:05 PM   #3

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Very good points Mag and Layton. Most people that are finally opening their eyes to what's going on around them and are wanting to get involved and purchase firearms to protect themselves and family, should not be discouraged from it because they cannot afford a top of the line firearm and their first exposure to a handgun may be only what they can afford at present. All firearms, no matter the make or caliber, will serve one with the same purpose in time of need.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 07-24-2009, 07:46 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Zip guns are illegal though, right? I know some of dad's spookier relatives have referred to those as "door stops" in the past. I'm pretty sure how they meant it.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:27 PM   #5

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Zip guns are illegal though, right? I know some of dad's spookier relatives have referred to those as "door stops" in the past. I'm pretty sure how they meant it.
Where did the zip gun comment come from?

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 07-24-2009, 11:27 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I think that some handguns are worse than useless. I am not a gun snob. I have had some high end hand guns and some inexpensive handguns that were still quality firearms. An unreliable piece of crap handgun will only get you killed.

There are plenty of affordable decent quality handguns on the market. There are plenty of very good quality used handguns available at even better prices.

Let's not get all bleeding hearts and be real here.

The question to be answered is: "Can I trust my or my loved ones life to this weapon?"

If the answer is maybe, you're f***ed.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Last edited by CA357; 07-24-2009 at 11:30 PM.

Old 07-25-2009, 12:11 AM   #7

Liked 89 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 25

It does not matter how much a handgun costs, if it will run 100%, it will do. Anything less might as well be a boat anchor. There are a lot of people out there that can not spend more than a couple hundred dollars for a firearm to defend themselves or their home and family. It also may take them a year to save that much. They also need ammo to practice with. If they can find a piece that will run reliably and not take food or shelter away because of price and be able to afford to practice with it, then they will be better off than someone with a $1500.00 piece that malfunctions one out of twenty rounds. That one malfunction (Murphys Law) might just be your demise....I am not making any references to HiPoint, this is just in general.......................

Jim................

Last edited by masterPsmith; 07-25-2009 at 12:14 AM.

Old 07-25-2009, 12:26 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I'll reiterate what I just said, it doesn't have to be expensive, just good quality.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-25-2009, 01:50 AM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I've never heard of a gun that won't fire the first round in the chamber....more often than not, that is enough to save your life, hell, many times the shear sight of the gun is enough to thwart a crime.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 07-25-2009, 06:38 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Where did the zip gun comment come from?
The relatives i was referring to don't all wear shoes or have social security numbers. They are poor, ignorant, country folk, but some of the ones who can't afford a better gun have found ways to fire a 12 guage in the absence of a decent gun. It seemed relevant in brief; it's the ultimate extension of the "cheap/imperfect gun vs. no gun" type debate.

When dad's mom moved to town to get a job at the cotton mill, she had to borrow some shoes to wear to work and rented a room for when she was off work that someone else used when she wasn't there (pofolks timeshare ). On the plus side, the area her people come from has great hunting, especially if you eat pork (haven't hunted there much personally). I wouldn't kick in an unanswered door out there though, doorstops can be hazardous .