Reputation of Smith & Wesson - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Reputation of Smith & Wesson

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2009, 09:16 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I have 5 Smith & Wesson handguns.

Model 19, .357 magnum, circa 1970.
Model 4006, .40 S&W, duty weapon, circa 1994.
Model 457, .45 acp, main off duty carry gun, circa 2006.
Model 642, .38 spl., J-frame, back up gun, circa 2007.
An on-duty Sigma 40VE, issued by my employer.

All of them, rpt. all of them, are quality, reliable firearms that I am willing to bet my life on. I've never had a problem with any of them. Ever!

It is fashionable on some Internet gun forums to bad mouth S&W. It has been my experience that most gun bashing, of any brand, is based on second hand information, old wife's tales, or urban myths overheard at gun shows, or gun shops. With the competition in the modern firearms industry, all of the major gun makers strive to put out quality products. As with any other manufactured product, occasionally there will be a lemon. None of the gun makers want bad "word-of-mouth" or bad reputations, and will do everything possible to fix any defective products that make it into the marketplace.

There was a time, in the 80's & 90's, when S&W was owned by a British company that was not run by shooters, and who knew little about guns. To them the products were little more than mass produced "units," where quality suffered. S&W is back in American, "gun guy" hands and their quality is second to none.
Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 01-14-2009, 02:11 AM   #12

+ 1 Pioneer 461-----------I have used S&W revolvers since the very early
1970's also and have never ,ever, had occasion to doubt their quality,reliability,durability,etc.. The only real problems S&W had ,other than the Sigma, was with the model 59. When it came out ,best I can remember,
in the early 1970's--it was termed the original "Jamamatic". However,S&W did step up to the plate,recalled all of them for free factory upgrades,and turned
them into the icon of high capacity 9mm's ,at that time.
You could do a whole lot worse than a S&W. I suggest that you scan various forums for updates on whatever specific model is being considered for purchase.

Old 01-14-2009, 04:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by squib View Post
+ 1 Pioneer 461-----------I have used S&W revolvers since the very early 1970's also and have never ,ever, had occasion to doubt their quality,reliability,durability,etc.. The only real problems S&W had ,other than the Sigma, was with the model 59. When it came out ,best I can remember, in the early 1970's--it was termed the original "Jamamatic". However,S&W did step up to the plate,recalled all of them for free factory upgrades,and turned them into the icon of high capacity 9mm's ,at that time.
You could do a whole lot worse than a S&W. I suggest that you scan various forums for updates on whatever specific model is being considered for purchase.
Squib,
I too had a model 59 (no dash). Mine never had a hiccup, and the only reason I still don't have it, was I traded it for the 4006, when I learned some disturbing info about the 9mm round from our medical examiner.

All Rights Reserved

Old 01-14-2009, 07:50 PM   #14

Come on !----------O.K. I'll ask......What did the Med. Examiner have to say ?
I'am always open to new info--- I carry a 9mm....Iam more than curious !

Last edited by squib; 01-14-2009 at 07:53 PM. Reason: misspelled words

Old 01-15-2009, 05:05 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by squib View Post
Come on !----------O.K. I'll ask......What did the Med. Examiner have to say ? I'am always open to new info--- I carry a 9mm....Iam more than curious !
About one month after beginning to carry the 4006, I had to use it on duty, resulting in a death. The short version is; a running attacker armed with a large knife. Two shots, double-tap, (dept. issue Winchester Silver-tips) to the 10x ring, and the attacker went down instantly. Both rounds penetrated sternum, exploded the heart and continued with sufficient force to sever the spinal cord, instantly disconnecting the legs. She came to rest at my feet. When she had turned with the knife, she was right at the 21 foot line, and I had already drawn on her. It took about a full minute to bleed-out and die.

The state medical examiner, who has a lot of experience with police shootings, told me that had I still carried the 9mm, the chances were that there would not have been enough penetration to sever the spinal cord, thus allowing the attacker's momentum to let her to get to me with the knife.

One month later, no officer on the department was still carrying a 9mm. There has been some changes to 9mm ammo since 1994, so I don't know if given the same identical situation the outcome would be the same. We will never know.

All Rights Reserved

Old 01-15-2009, 05:25 PM   #16

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

pioneer - That is a rough story that I am sure has brought back some memories. Thank you for sharing that with the rest of the forum.

That information should be read and retained, but out of respect please keep the direct questions to a minimum.

JD

Old 01-15-2009, 06:47 PM   #17

In my town, Smith & Wesson is very reputable. The 686 and 686 Plus vanish from display cases quite frequently. I've seen many people with them, but never heard any complaints about them

Old 01-15-2009, 06:56 PM   #18
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2697 Times on 1409 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Smith and Wesson has some issues but not because of "British ownership". Tompkins bought S&W from Bangor Punta. The real issues were the pre-Tompkins guns. When Tompkins bought them, they looked at Smith's 19th century gun building techniques and said "no more". The factory was shut down and upgraded with new equipment. Many of the members of management were pink slipped because they could not or would not get on board with a modern philosophy of assembly line gun building. The third generation pistols (4506, 5906, 4006) were the product of this new style and fresh capitol.
Tompkins made a grave tactical error by entering into negotiations with the ATF and anti-gun groups. This ws not a S&W decision, but a British decision. When they were sold again to Safe-T-Hammer this mis-guided process was ceased.

I have always had the utmost esteem for S&W. Like anyone else, they occasionaly churn out a defective product. They cheerfully fix any and all problems I have ever sent them. I once sent them a worn out M-66 that likely had 10K fired through it. I could not repair it and they gladly replaced it with a brand new gun. It was interesting that our inventory control NAZIs spent the better part of 6 months and at least two polygraph exams trying to find out who "stole" the gun, before I showed them the memo dated two years earlier explaining the gun no longer existed and was replaced. Dumb ass civilians. Not asking the right questions of the right people.

Some other makers are content to sit back and say there is nothing wrong with their guns, blaming ammo or Navy SEALs for breaking the buns. All the while they are quietly redesigning the guns and adding a letter suffix to the model designation.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:16 PM   #19

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

I had one smith revolver M17 K22 Masterpiece with a 8" barrel and target trigger and hammer. That pistol would shoot just as good as many 22lr rifle will shoot today. My dad has its bigger sister a 357 with 8" bbl. That thing was so much fun to shoot.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:15 AM   #20

Have had an M&P semi-auto 9mm since November. Have put about 350 rounds thru it. Now it's misfiring like every 5 rounds. Had not cleaned it to that point. Was kind of surprised that I had to clean it so soon.

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber".

Winston Churchill