Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Reputation of Smith & Wesson (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/reputation-smith-wesson-9818/)

Uncle Tom 01-10-2009 01:00 AM

Reputation of Smith & Wesson

What is the current view on Smith & Wesson? I've read negative comments about their "copycat" history, praise for the quality of their Classics revolvers, but others stating their overal quality is eratic. Would most people put them in the "higher-cost high quality" handgun category these days -- for revolvers? -- for autos? Thanks.

SGT-MILLER 01-10-2009 04:29 AM

Their revolvers are nice and their 1911 pistols seem pretty well made. I don't know about the other pistols they have.

oldandslow 01-10-2009 10:58 AM

UT, 1/10/09

I can only speak for their metal framed 3rd generation pistols and for revolvers. I have five of the metal framed pistols in both 9mm and .45 calibers. They have great double and single action triggers, are stone cold reliable and accurate. My revolver, a 686-3 inch barrel is also a great product. I can't speak to their plastic pistols but I have been very satisfied with all my SW pistols and in their excellent customer service. Good luck.

best wishes- oldandslow

Zappa 01-10-2009 02:12 PM

IMHO, their revolvers have always been excellent. They had a few glitches with their early stainless models (galling) but that was worked out long ago through better metalurgy. Their early steel frame autos have a pretty good reputation for reliability, but the trigger action wasn't very refined. The early alloy frame autos were a bit soft and were known wear out rather quickly, but again, that too was addressed through better metalurgy. Their early "Sigma" line of plastic autos were junk and they got a bad reputation for these. The current M&P's seem to have found a loyal following, as do their 1911 models.

stalkingbear 01-10-2009 04:33 PM

I recently bought my wife a 442 airweight .38 dao and it's GREAT-usual S&W quality if it helps you any.

Franciscomv 01-10-2009 09:45 PM

I've got three of their revolvers (686, 640 and 617), they all get a lot of use and function perfectly.

My gun club has S&W revolvers for rent, they've been abused for years and still work like a charm.

I've got no experience with their semi-autos.

stetson 01-12-2009 02:55 AM

I like some of the S&W products I have the sw99 in 45 which is awesome pistol.I even have an old sigma 9mm which I've shot a couple of thousand rounds out of with no problems.This was my my first ccw and now my truck gun.the MP is always being compared to the glock so I'd say they make some pretty good pistols.Revolvers they always made good ones!

stetson 01-12-2009 03:06 AM

I like some of the S&W products I have the sw99 in 45 which is awesome pistol.I even have an old sigma 9mm which I've shot a couple of thousand rounds out of with no problems.This was my my first ccw and now my truck gun.the MP is always being compared to the glock so I'd say they make some pretty good pistols.Revolvers they always made good ones!

Clem 01-12-2009 01:32 PM

My more recent Performance Revolvers have been super. They just needed a little breaking in to be about as perfect as a mass produced article can be.

The standard revolvers I have gotten typically needed a little internal smoothing, with a change to somewhat reduced power springs. This is probably a personal thing with me.

dnthmn2004 01-12-2009 11:55 PM

The M&P series is fantastic for the price. The 1911s are very well made. Most of the revolvers are the best IMO. I've heard the sigma series is junk though.