Remington R51 - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Remington R51

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2014, 08:04 PM   #51
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2042 Times on 1069 Posts
Likes Given: 392

I've seen the R51 before...........

(not for me)

_____6.jpg  

Old 03-22-2014, 02:08 AM   #52
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5685 Times on 2971 Posts
Likes Given: 377

got to handle one at my lgs before they took it out of the case and put it on gunbroker today.

less than impressed. felt cheap. i can see where it might be a bit pinchy on recoil. the sample i handled had difficulty witht he slide going back into battery and would remain open with the stop down magazine out unless it was helped along. VERY stiff action and VERY unsmooth.

cycling the slide was like rubbing two sharkskin the wrong way against each other.

if this is what the original was like its no wonder the things were discontinued.

i rate this a complete and total skip as in your better off buying a raven or lorcin... better build quality there.

maybe it was a defective sample i dunno its the only one ive handled in person. definately not for me if its a representative sample.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 03-22-2014 at 02:12 AM.

Old 03-23-2014, 04:20 AM   #53
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 133 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 174

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
the sample i handled had difficulty witht he slide going back into battery and would remain open with the stop down magazine out unless it was helped along.
Interesting. Was at the local(ish) Cabelas a few days ago and asked about the R51. Was told they had one but were still deciding if they should put it on the shelf or ship it back do to a "problem consistently getting it back into battery".

While I didn't give much thought to the R51 slide issue, I was completely suprised that Cabelas even checked the basic function before putting something in the case.

Old 03-30-2014, 08:45 PM   #54

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I played around with one just the other day. I didn't care for the grip safety. I think it might bite your hand during firing.

Old 03-30-2014, 09:16 PM   #55
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1608 Times on 1100 Posts
Likes Given: 561

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas View Post
Anyone see what the Military Arms Channel has to say about it? It may have just been a lemon, but I can't say I was interested in one of these guns even before that. Every review I have seen so far has been negative, but it's also the first run so maybe the bugs will get worked out. Unfortunately I'm biased against any gun with a grip safety, so I can't bring myself to pick one up. Well, the 1911 gets a free pass on the grip safety, but that's only because...I guess I don't really have a reason, other than that's just how they are and I like them.
Oh and as for the Glock 19 price, man you guys pay a lot! I got my brand new gen 4 g19 for $530, and, being a gen 4, it came with 3 mags
Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk
The minimum price for a glock is set by glock. If you got a Gen4 G19 for $530 out the door that shop will not be selling glocks very long. Just as soon as another Glock dealer hears that shop is is undercutting the price set by glock they are done as a glock dealer.

Right now the best price for a gen4 G19 is $540 plus tax or FFL.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 03-31-2014, 12:13 AM   #56

Liked 2200 Times on 1296 Posts
Likes Given: 479

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
The minimum price for a glock is set by glock. If you got a Gen4 G19 for $530 out the door that shop will not be selling glocks very long. Just as soon as another Glock dealer hears that shop is is undercutting the price set by glock they are done as a glock dealer.

Right now the best price for a gen4 G19 is $540 plus tax or FFL.
It does depend. Some dealers do mark up higher than the Glock minimum. Other dealers are Glock LE/Mil authorized dealers and they get blue label guns that come with an extra mag and sell for below the regular retail, but must be sold to military, law enforcement or other first responders.

I bought my G19 and G21 this way. Saved about $75 per gun. Have saved similarly through authorized Smith and Wesson dealers.

Old 04-07-2014, 02:47 AM   #57

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

We have had one at my work for about 2 weeks. I have yet to shoot the gun but the feel of it left a lot to be desired. When you rack the slide the feel and sound of the gun can only be described as crunchy. The ergonomics are horrible IMO as well. It was between this and the shield for a new summer carry and I am going with the shield.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
Jimi Hendrix

Old 04-07-2014, 02:56 AM   #58
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1962 Times on 1363 Posts
Likes Given: 1001

I checked one out the other day. It was priced at $420, that's a start. It was also remarkably flat at <1" wide. The grip was comfortable (to me) ,reminiscent of the Makarov. The trigger was too heavy but broke crisply. Practical accuracy and recoil characteristics with the fixed barrel remain to be seen. May be a good CCW for IWB.

Old 04-07-2014, 06:17 PM   #59

Had mine for a month or so and about 500 rds through it. It has several issues no doubt and my shipping label came this week to send it in. I will say the slide release was 'skicky, gritty' etc but smoothed out considerably. The machining marks on all internal parts are horrible. I wont go into detail with all the issues but you can read my post and others at remingtonowners.com forum for details. A lot of useful info there on the R51 from actual owners that have put this gun through its paces and not just some magazine writer. Also will note that mine has a low serial # so it was one of the first few hundred made.