Reloading ammo
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Reloading ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2012, 08:36 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Reloading ammo

I was just wondering, with the high price and scarce availability of 9mm luger ammo, if reloading would be the way to go. I used to reload shotgun shells but never handgun ammo. What would be the average price of starting out from scratch with good equipment? I notice Ruger, Glock, and probably a lot of other gun makers say their warranty would be voided by not using new factory ammo.
Does anyone know about how much per round reloading would cost?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-25-2012, 08:44 PM   #2
hmh

Liked 140 Times on 96 Posts

I figured it out for .45acp casting my own bullets out of free wheel weights not counting brass or time it was I think around 5.3¢

Old 12-25-2012, 08:45 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5516 Times on 2882 Posts
Likes Given: 358

from what i understand wheel weights arent made from lead anymore

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-25-2012, 08:55 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer View Post
What would be the average price of starting out from scratch with good equipment?
Does anyone know about how much per round reloading would cost?
I guess what I meant to ask was about how much it would cost for the reloading equipment (startup) and then counting that cost + reloading supplies what would the cost be then? I'd probably have to reload thousands of rounds b4 seeing a savings?

Old 12-25-2012, 09:16 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Reloading Ammo

Yes, reloading is cheaper but you have to look at the whole picture. First, you need a bench and then the tools and components. These are not cheap and in order to break even on your investment, you need to load a lot of ammo. I've been reloading for about 30 yrs. but rarely do any more. If its just recreational shooting, just buy your ammo. Good luck, Dogwalk

Old 12-25-2012, 11:50 PM   #6
hmh

Liked 140 Times on 96 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
from what i understand wheel weights arent made from lead anymore
Your correct I have stockpiled lead wheel weights for several years. The new ones are made from several different types of metal. I ruined a pot because of the zinc wheel weights.

Old 12-26-2012, 01:29 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 234 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 29

A start-up reloading kit (including components) can run anywhere from a few hundred bucks to a few thousand. It really is that broad, depending on how elaborate of a setup you want. There are also opportunities to land used presses in auctions or classified adds.

If 9mm is the primary caliber, you're going to need a nice setup that really pumps out the rounds in order to feel like you're coming out ahead. That, or you've got to truly enjoy the reloading process. I don't think 9mm is a caliber it'll ever make sense for me to reload, even though I shoot quite a bit of it.

10mm/45acp? Most rifle rounds? Expensive revolver rounds?....reloading can make a lot of sense. For something as vanilla and affordable as 9mm, not so much for most folks.

Old 12-26-2012, 02:39 PM   #8

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22 View Post
10mm/45acp? Most rifle rounds? Expensive revolver rounds?....reloading can make a lot of sense. For something as vanilla and affordable as 9mm, not so much for most folks.
^^This is what you are looking for. Calculate the cost of equipment, components and your time. It takes a long long long time to make it up in 9mm, especially in plinking rounds. Good target or defensive ammo , it only takes a long time. At a point it almost didn’t make since to reload 223.....glad I stuck with that one because it makes a lot of since at the moment.
I load 10mm in Gold Dots and XTP's for literally half the cost of diluted 10mm plinking ammo from the factory and I bought 500 new 10mm brass, still way ahead.
30-06, 300 WM, 243 in loaded with the best hunting projectiles for a fraction of the cost of premium loaded factory ammo.

Old 12-26-2012, 02:58 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

That's kinda what I've been thinking. Sounds like I would be better off in time and money to just buy my ammo at Wally World. I'd probably only shoot a couple hundred rounds a week at most. Thanks for the info!

Old 12-26-2012, 03:26 PM   #10

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Well it’s still a good thing to get into.....eventually it might be the only way you can get 9mm. Or having 9mm whenever you want might be worth the price of admission.....not having to deal with the droves of sheep buying stuff up because they are scared and all panicky…..I like reloading because my shelves are never empty…..cost aside this might make it wise in the near future. I couldn’t imagine depending on Wal-Mart for my ammo and hoping the human herd of stupid hasn’t bought them all out.