Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Reloading ammo (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/reloading-ammo-79412/)

jammer 12-25-2012 08:36 PM

Reloading ammo

I was just wondering, with the high price and scarce availability of 9mm luger ammo, if reloading would be the way to go. I used to reload shotgun shells but never handgun ammo. What would be the average price of starting out from scratch with good equipment? I notice Ruger, Glock, and probably a lot of other gun makers say their warranty would be voided by not using new factory ammo.
Does anyone know about how much per round reloading would cost?

hmh 12-25-2012 08:44 PM

I figured it out for .45acp casting my own bullets out of free wheel weights not counting brass or time it was I think around 5.3Ę

JonM 12-25-2012 08:45 PM

from what i understand wheel weights arent made from lead anymore

jammer 12-25-2012 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jammer (Post 1065870)
What would be the average price of starting out from scratch with good equipment?
Does anyone know about how much per round reloading would cost?

I guess what I meant to ask was about how much it would cost for the reloading equipment (startup) and then counting that cost + reloading supplies what would the cost be then? I'd probably have to reload thousands of rounds b4 seeing a savings?

dogwalk 12-25-2012 09:16 PM

Reloading Ammo

Yes, reloading is cheaper but you have to look at the whole picture. First, you need a bench and then the tools and components. These are not cheap and in order to break even on your investment, you need to load a lot of ammo. I've been reloading for about 30 yrs. but rarely do any more. If its just recreational shooting, just buy your ammo. Good luck, Dogwalk

hmh 12-25-2012 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM
from what i understand wheel weights arent made from lead anymore

Your correct I have stockpiled lead wheel weights for several years. The new ones are made from several different types of metal. I ruined a pot because of the zinc wheel weights.

sweeper22 12-26-2012 01:29 AM

A start-up reloading kit (including components) can run anywhere from a few hundred bucks to a few thousand. It really is that broad, depending on how elaborate of a setup you want. There are also opportunities to land used presses in auctions or classified adds.

If 9mm is the primary caliber, you're going to need a nice setup that really pumps out the rounds in order to feel like you're coming out ahead. That, or you've got to truly enjoy the reloading process. I don't think 9mm is a caliber it'll ever make sense for me to reload, even though I shoot quite a bit of it.

10mm/45acp? Most rifle rounds? Expensive revolver rounds?....reloading can make a lot of sense. For something as vanilla and affordable as 9mm, not so much for most folks.

oli700 12-26-2012 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweeper22 (Post 1066296)
10mm/45acp? Most rifle rounds? Expensive revolver rounds?....reloading can make a lot of sense. For something as vanilla and affordable as 9mm, not so much for most folks.

^^This is what you are looking for. Calculate the cost of equipment, components and your time. It takes a long long long time to make it up in 9mm, especially in plinking rounds. Good target or defensive ammo , it only takes a long time. At a point it almost didnít make since to reload 223.....glad I stuck with that one because it makes a lot of since at the moment.
I load 10mm in Gold Dots and XTP's for literally half the cost of diluted 10mm plinking ammo from the factory and I bought 500 new 10mm brass, still way ahead.
30-06, 300 WM, 243 in loaded with the best hunting projectiles for a fraction of the cost of premium loaded factory ammo.

jammer 12-26-2012 02:58 PM

That's kinda what I've been thinking. Sounds like I would be better off in time and money to just buy my ammo at Wally World. I'd probably only shoot a couple hundred rounds a week at most. Thanks for the info!

oli700 12-26-2012 03:26 PM

Well it’s still a good thing to get into.....eventually it might be the only way you can get 9mm. Or having 9mm whenever you want might be worth the price of admission.....not having to deal with the droves of sheep buying stuff up because they are scared and all panicky…..I like reloading because my shelves are never empty…..cost aside this might make it wise in the near future. I couldn’t imagine depending on Wal-Mart for my ammo and hoping the human herd of stupid hasn’t bought them all out.