Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Reliable Handgun?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2007, 04:08 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Reliable Handgun?

I am in the market for a handgun for self-defense in my house. I would like a gun that is reliable and does not have to be cleaned all that often (I'm pretty bad at not remebering). Any suggestions?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-07-2007, 06:13 PM   #2

I have a 5 shot stainless steel S&W .357 Mag for my CCW firearm. It is very concealable and quick to be put into action. At night it sits on my bed stand with a magazine laying on top of it.

Old 05-08-2007, 03:10 AM   #3

Take a look at the Springfield XD's. They are accurate, reliable and very affordable. I have an XD-40 Service Model.

I do some local IDPA shooting with mine so I can vouch for the claims above. I drop my magazines in the dirt while running so my XD picks up all types of debris but it keeps on shooting.

Old 05-08-2007, 04:38 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Glock of whatever caliber you like. I have a few of them, and they have all been 100% reliable. I only clean/oil them every 300 rounds with no ill effects.

Old 05-10-2007, 06:22 PM   #5

A double action revolver is about as simple as it gets. I've got a Ruger .357. Probably have not cleaned it in 10 years. I pull it out and shoot a cylinder's worth about once every 6-12 months. I probably have not run 150 rounds through it.

If you are keeping the gun for self defense you will probably not use it all that often other than learing how to operate and practicing and becoming familiar with it. After that, a little routine practice, quick clean, set on the nightstand and have it ready at a moments notice you will not need to worry about reliability. Just about any well known maker of handguns can give you this kind of reliability in my opinion.

Who are the militia? They consist of the whole people, except for a few public officials.
-George Mason, Framer of the Declaration of Rights, Virginia, 1776 , which became the basis of the U.S. Bill of Rights

Old 05-11-2007, 04:14 PM   #6

Stainless steel revolvers, especially in .357 Magnum are outstanding.

Semi-auto pistols can also be up to the task, but choosing one must be done carefully. While not inexpensive, one of my favorites is the SigArms P229. With a 10 shot mag and gun chambered for .357 Sig, you'll have a friend you can trust on your side. The P229 is a DA/SA configuration and no manual safeties are involved. This means you have the speed and simplicity of deployment of a revolver, combined with the flat form factor of an auto. SigArms pistols are noted for their reliability, accuracy, excellence of mechanical design, and quality of production.

Check the P229 for comfort and suitability to your hand size. If necessary, they have other good models from which to choose.

Good luck!

Bob

Old 05-12-2007, 01:26 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Another vote here for a good quality revolver. I'd recomend a mid-sized .357 Mag with about a a 4" barrel, loaded with good .38 special +P.
I'd stay away from the small frames and the super light weights, you won't be carring it very far and controlability can be an issue.
I'd stick with the 4 incher and .38+P, to minimize flash and recovery time, a hot .357 Mag load from a 2" barrel in dim lighting will stun you with the concussion, blind you with the muzzle flash and you'll be looking under the gun to gage your target's reaction to being shot.

"Those who have long enjoyed privileges as we enjoy, forget, in time, that men have died to win them."

Franklin D. Roosvelt

Old 05-16-2007, 06:10 AM   #8

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Add my vote with the previous post.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:31 PM   #9

Liked 34 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

My home defense weapon of choice is my .357 S&W with safety rounds. This is because my lady may not remember all the steps and safety release features of an automatic in a time of panic, but she will always remember to point and pull the trigger, and therefore the revolver will always be ready to go when she is....

I use the safety because they will stop a man at close range, but if you miss, you don't have to worry about colateral damage to innocents due to a stray bullet penetrating your walls...

Old 06-10-2007, 06:04 AM   #10

I keep a snub-nosed .38 revolver in the nightstand and a .45ACP 1911 in the closet. The snubby gets me to the 1911 and then becomes backup or a weapon for my wife.

If I had to go with one gun, however, I'd also recommend a short barelled revolver in .357 mag. Nothing fancy. Just point and shoot. Lots of energy upon impact. That's what you want.

Closed Thread