Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Refurbishing a Colt .45

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2013, 11:39 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1115 Times on 583 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinky View Post
oh no, no trust me it's a family military heirloom I wouldn't get rid of it for anything. But yes i would like a extended 10 round mag what manufacturer would you recommend for a extended 10 round mag?
An extended 10 round mag in a Series 70 is just wrong.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:32 AM   #22

Liked 62 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default Someone mentioned Jimmy Clarke.

Brinky, field strip that pistol and look at the bottom of the slide on the aft end. Jimmy Clarke stamped his pistols with a metal stamp there. If is a Clarke pistol - and I agree it looks like one - you would be silly to do any mechanical changes.

Perhaps re-bluing if the finish is bad enough to bother you, but that would be about all.

There are collector's will pay good money for Clarke guns.

Finally back in the United States!
OIIOHH
See my blog at:
http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

Old 03-14-2013, 05:19 AM   #23

Likes Given: 3

It is a Clarke but ive concluded not to do anything to it except maybe get a extended 10 round clip mag.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:09 AM   #24

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If the poster wants it refinished and get more pride in ownership then I think he should do that. Really, as many people have said: gold, or even a low interest CD will get you better returns than using a gun as a Stradivarius type museum piece and hoping it will go up in value.

As far as aesthetics, some people like the old weathered, patina'd look. Others like it nicely finished. That's why there are gunsmiths who specialize in bluing, parkerizing, hard chroming,...

If you want it refinished then sending it back to Colt to have them do it is great idea but there are probably a lot of gunsmiths in your area who can also do a great rebluing job. I would see if a gunsmith could replicate Colt's deep blue polished finish. Comb the internet and look for images of the same Colt you have and study every angle for how it was originally finished. Then ask the gunsmith if they can duplicate it. Ask to see samples of their work. A good hot bluing job that's well oiled will not only look good but help protect the gun.

But I would definitely not paint it, nor duracoat it. However, it's your gun so (as a well known Youtube reviewer would say) your mileage may vary. If you do decide to "paint" it or duracoat it then be careful if you ever go strip the paint off. Do not chemically strip it because many solvents contain chloride which will eat and pit steel.

Last edited by misterballistic; 03-14-2013 at 07:23 AM.

Old 03-15-2013, 01:17 AM   #25

Likes Given: 3

Thank you mister ballistic all that is very helpful but after all i think im just going to keep the nit & grit that the pistol has!

Old 03-15-2013, 01:44 AM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1150 Times on 640 Posts
Likes Given: 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinky View Post
oh no, no trust me it's a family military heirloom I wouldn't get rid of it for anything. But yes i would like a extended 10 round mag what manufacturer would you recommend for a extended 10 round mag?
Tripp Cobra mags.
image.jpg