Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Recommendations for a first gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2010, 03:44 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Let's start yuo off with a plan meant for a new shooter. How about this:

A. Go to a gun store that rents guns and has an NRA Certified Instructor. Talk over your options with the NRA Instructor and give him an idea of what you want to eventually do. You need a beginner's program and then develop into an experienced shooter with a more mature/better educated program. Listen to what the instructor says because he's probably been instructing people for 10+ years or more so he knows what he's doing.

B. Get some training videos from different sources like e-Bay, Amazon and so on to study. You can get these videos before or after you get with the NRA instructor. Either way you get an idea on what you probably want to do as far as firearms are concerned.

Next:

1. As an instructor, I normally tell brand new shooters to get a 4 inch revolver in .22 Long Rifle caliber. The .22LR ammo does not have much of a recoil. The 4 inch barrel lets you develop good control and decent accuracy as you practice more and more. Go to a range once a week whenever you can for about 6 months and practice shooting your revolver until you feel really comfortable with it. THEN we step you up in calibers...

2. Your second firearm should mirror your .22 revolver but it should be a .357 magnum revolver. Your .357 magnum revolver lets you shoot either .357 magnum or .38 special ammo. Yes, shooting .38 spl ammo is very, very safe when fired through a .357 magnum. This revolver should be a 4 inch barrel like your .22LR revolver. In the new revolver you will want to shoot .38 special target loads. Target loads are lower pressure ammo which is designed for accuracy without extreme recoil. Practice with this new revolver and target ammo until you feel comfortable with it and then try shooting some hollowpoint ammo. Hollowpoint ammo is ammo meant to be used for personal defense situations. Once you have the hollowpoint ammo down pat, that is what you would use for personal protection and home defense needs.

3. Now you have 2 revolvers, plenty of good practice under your belt and your next step should be to get some tactical training under your belt. Tactical training differs from basic pracitce because you move, scoot and shoot, with your firearms. You change angle of fire, distance to target and practice different shooting scenarios which involve home defense, personal protection and concealed carry situations. Once you have some decent tactical training under your belt, you're pretty much set for most shooting situations and set for life. All you need to do is periodically practice your shooting at a nearby range.

Old 10-04-2010, 04:14 AM   #22

Recon, I would love to do that but that is impossible where I live. I just outside of SF CA. I have found ranges that rent but they have the weirdest rules. They will not rent me a gun or let me take their classes unless I own a firearm or am with another person. For some reason they will not allow a non gun owner who is without another person acting as a teach to shoot there I even asked if I could take the first time shooter class and they said only if I bring another person. I don't want to just get a certificate and buy a gun without practicing with it first.

I have been thinking about starting with a 357 revolver. It sounds like a good idea. I am so bummed about what I am finding around hear. And to top it all off buying ammo online becomes illegal in my state in 3 months. They really are succeeding out here in making peoples rights difficult to exercise.

As far as the double action, single action talk, I am just trying to familiarize myself with the terms. My wife and I agreed that I needed to take some classes and not just the one to get the cert. I realize that a dumby could pass that test.

Old 10-04-2010, 06:46 AM   #23

Default .357 mostly perfect revolver

songbird; Sir, I have followed your 'plight'; a wow wee type of mess in Cal.
Your thoughts; leaning toward .357 revolver is outstanding. 2 calibre in one.
Ordering ammo 'on-line' shouldn't be a deterrent with any of the conventuals.
Wal-Mart has ?mostly? what you will need.
Following along with "Recon 173"; you can 'YOUTUBE' many or most firearms available. Many folks are proud of their ablities with both the camera n firearm.
What can you learn from youtube; lots n lots. Glean as you need; don't get bogged down, enjoy learning; enjoy the experiences.

Craig

♥ Exercise daily - walk with the Lord!

Old 10-04-2010, 12:12 PM   #24
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2009 Times on 1091 Posts
Likes Given: 724

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird View Post
Recon, I would love to do that but that is impossible where I live. I just outside of SF CA. I have found ranges that rent but they have the weirdest rules. They will not rent me a gun or let me take their classes unless I own a firearm or am with another person. For some reason they will not allow a non gun owner who is without another person acting as a teach to shoot there I even asked if I could take the first time shooter class and they said only if I bring another person. I don't want to just get a certificate and buy a gun without practicing with it first.

I have been thinking about starting with a 357 revolver. It sounds like a good idea. I am so bummed about what I am finding around hear. And to top it all off buying ammo online becomes illegal in my state in 3 months. They really are succeeding out here in making peoples rights difficult to exercise.

As far as the double action, single action talk, I am just trying to familiarize myself with the terms. My wife and I agreed that I needed to take some classes and not just the one to get the cert. I realize that a dumby could pass that test.
Sounds like it's time for a vacation to Frontsight.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 10-04-2010, 12:31 PM   #25
Jay

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

This is strictly my opinion, and has worked in many years of firearms training, and for men and ladies alike. Buy a handgun just like you would buy a pair of shoes. If Ol' Joe over here says he likes Charlie China tennis shoes, and you're looking for a new pair of shoes, do you run out and buy Joe's pick, just because HE likes 'em? Probably not. If a new shooter is asking what to buy for a carry gun, it doesn't matter what works for me, or anyone else. I suggest telling that new shooter to go to many gun shops, and/or gun shows, and handle all the guns they can get hold of. Just like they would try on shoes. Before long they'll be able to make a list of guns that feel ok, pretty good, real good, and "that really feels great in my hands". The last two are the ones to pursue, and here's why I say that....
If a given handgun doesn't feel "right" in your hands, you'll not shoot it enough to become proficient with it, because it's not comfortable, and you won't like shooting it. Just like you rarely wear shoes that are UNcomfortable. If you're not gonna become proficient with it, save your money, and buy a ball bat to carry. With proper fundamentals, he/she can learn to shoot almost any handgun. Very few folks can re-train their hands to make just any handgun feel comfortable. The last suggestion.........proper shooting techinques, practiced slowly, but proficiently, will breed speed. Do it slowly, and do it the right way, every time.......If you practice speed first, and introduce less efficient techniques into your training, you'll have to do it all over again to get it right.

By the way..... anyone who introduces a new shooter to our pastime by having them start with a large-caliber handgun, makes a very poor decision. Yes, some folks do ok starting out with large calibers, but the vast majority will not continue to shoot if their very 1st experience is with .50 S&W.

Again, just my ramblings.... but they work for me...

Shoot Safely....

NRA Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 10-04-2010, 12:49 PM   #26
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6762 Times on 4086 Posts
Likes Given: 8094

For a first gun it was recommended to me by a very knowledgeable gun person that I buy a Ruger GP100 with a 4 or 6 inch barrel. I chose the 6 inch barrel. I was told a revolver is less complicated for a beginner and easy to check to see if it's empty. The Ruger GP100 shoots .38 specials OR .357 magnums. The GP 100 is a very sturdy gun and will last you your lifetime.......and then some! I am very happy with the choice I made upon the recommendation of an experienced gun owner. Someday I might want a semi-auto pistol but I'm not ready for that yet.

Old 10-04-2010, 12:50 PM   #27

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Here is the Updated List of CA Guns

CA Approved Guns

“There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period.” Ted Nugent

Old 10-04-2010, 12:56 PM   #28
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2009 Times on 1091 Posts
Likes Given: 724

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007BondJamesBond007 View Post
Where were those when I was a kid?

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 10-04-2010, 08:52 PM   #29

Walmart....lol, We don't have those... This whole experience keeps reminding me that Kalifornia is a different planet. For the record their are Walmarts in Kalifornia just not in the bay area. The closest is probably 2 or 3 hour away.

I think what I will have to do is ask a co worker who is a shooter to take me to the range so they will allow me to rent a gun.

Old 10-05-2010, 01:55 AM   #30

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

The rent thing (not renting to people who are alone AND do not have their own gun) is due to suicides. It is rare, but the odds of a suicide apparently increase dramatically at a gun range if someone comes in alone and rents a gun. This is a rule with most ranges. Bring someone or buy a gun first and have it with you. I know it sounds odd, but a suicide is really bad for business.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face