Recommendation for a one handed shooter.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Recommendation for a one handed shooter.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2012, 01:05 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Recommendation for a one handed shooter.

Hello everyone. My wife has been getting into target shooting recently, and she asked me about getting a CCW permit this morning. I have one, and would like her to get one as well.

She has a disability which limits her to using one hand, she can shoot my semi-auto just fine, good grip and stance, handles the recoil fine, and is a good shot, but using only one hand she can't load a magazine or rack the slide of a pistol, so I was thinking the best bet would be a revolver, seems easier to re-load one handed. I also want to get her into a training class, which I can do at my local range.

She wouldn't want anything bigger than a 9mm, (this would be for concealed carry, not target or plinking), any suggestions?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-23-2012, 01:10 PM   #2

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Concealed carry, point and shoot, one handed shouts Ruger LCR, Smith and Wesson M+P or something of that variety. Get it chambered in .357 which gives you the option of .38's or .357.

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 03-23-2012, 02:26 PM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I wouldn't put much thought on the reloading issue. At least from a concealed carry standpoint. I know a lot of people like to carry spare ammo so that they can reload on the fly, but I've always considered that to be rather pointless. I carry my Kahr CM9 with 6+1 loaded. I figure if I ever get in a situation I can't resolve with 7 rounds of 9mm, I'm probably done for anyway. The main thing is to make sure she has a gun that she can draw and shoot comfortably, and that she is confident with. Making sure that she is proficient with it and can put those shots where they will get the job done is more important than being able to reload. Just my opinion.

Last edited by Misfire; 03-23-2012 at 02:29 PM.

Old 03-23-2012, 03:40 PM   #4

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

It is possible, with practice, to insert a mag & rack the slide of a semi auto just using one hand. How easy this will be when under stress is a good question. Seems the same problem could apply in the case of a revolver. A lot has to do with the resourcefulness of the individual. Once saw a video of a guy with no arms shooting & reloading a semi auto with his feet!

One idea is that a second firearm may be easier to draw than reloading the primary or in the case of a malfunction of the primary.

Old 03-23-2012, 04:42 PM   #5
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2108 Times on 1156 Posts
Likes Given: 629

If the pistol is carried with a round in the chamber/condition 1, the slide is already racked. The slide will lock open on the last shot. All that is necessary is to load the new mag and thumb the slide release/lock. Tuck the pistol under the opposite arm or between the knees to load the new mag and release the slide when it is downrange. Make sure to get a pistol that the slide locks open on the last shot. It will take some practice and wont be quick so I would suggest a 10+1 capacity pistol.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:28 PM   #6

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post
Concealed carry, point and shoot, one handed shouts Ruger LCR, Smith and Wesson M+P or something of that variety. Get it chambered in .357 which gives you the option of .38's or .357.
+ 1 Barbarino, Elsie Ahrrrr for the win!

Best DAO trigger I have shot!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 03-23-2012, 09:05 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 258 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Sounds like you want a 357mag/38sp revolver...with her shooting/carrying primarily 38sp. When it comes to size, ballistics, and recoil, 38sp is almost identical to 9mm. Ammunition is abundant and extremely versatile.

The other option is a 327mag. It's a good defensive round and will add a round or two to a revolver's capacity. The downside it that you may have to order your defense ammo online (if that's a downside).

Pretty much anything from S&W or Ruger will perform admirably.

Old 04-07-2012, 02:41 PM   #8

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

To make suggestions it is important to first understand the problem.For example is the disabled limb partially functional,weak or missing.All those simple factors affect the choice or range of handguns available.I've helped about two dozen people overcome in some cases very severe disabilities to learn or return to handgun shooting.Ask anyone who has simply been left handed all their life how easy it is to find the perfect handgun,some are about to leave the mortal coil and they're still looking.Example:Say you are right handed with a partially ambulatory left limb-you can manipulate almost any hammer fired semi-auto with a prominent rear sight.A left handed shooter will however need a true ambidextrous gun and almost certainly one with second strike capability.A revolver?;for most NO.At best ejecting and reloading is a practiced two handed dance,now try an injured one hand drill,now with the off hand,now try it during a gun fight.To solve the problems you must first ask the right questions.

Old 04-07-2012, 03:10 PM   #9

Liked 4886 Times on 2368 Posts
Likes Given: 1524

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
+ 1 Barbarino, Elsie Ahrrrr for the win!

Best DAO trigger I have shot!
I'm going to have to shoot one of these. Took me 20 years to buy my first plastic pistol and I guess I'm just not ready to accept a plastic revolver. Love my Ruger SP 101 thought.

Tack

Old 04-07-2012, 04:31 PM   #10

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

(continued)-Example:A right hand dominate single mother who lost her husband and half her right arm in a car wreck.Solution:She finally settled on a Bersa Thunder for carry and a Bersa 22 for practice.With the hammer cocked the slide racking forces are minimal,the slide release and mag release can be manipulated with the index finger and a minor grip shift allows use of the decocker/safety.I found her a Ruger p-95 for a home defense gun because of its soft recoil and brilliant ambi. controls.She has since found a commander sized Taurus PT-908 for her new carry gun and I've designed a clamp on shell holder style bracket to help her and her daughter load mags.(actually three different brackets)Since this problem was solved she has so much new found confidence she has a new and much better job,a CCWP,her first ever driver license and volunteers at two veterans groups to you guessed it,help THEM overcome their disabilities.All this because an elderly African American gentleman in a Cabellas store almost sold his Bersa because he could no longer rack the slide because of arthritis in his hands,a problem that took three seconds to fix.(cock the hammer first)
He was so grateful he was almost in tears and got to keep his beloved pistol.
I'm no gun shop commando,but while helping my lady to select her first handgun I was asked and answered questions by this black gentleman and five others who all found and purchased a handgun.All it took was asking and answering the right questions and covering the basics.The clerks wisely stood back and let it role and no I did not accept the job I was offered by the manager,but did accept the discount and free mags we were offered on the P95 my lady finally settled on....I gave these people an E-mail address and so far it has resulted in 22's for practice for all but one,two ccwp's,and several other handguns for home or carry.If I was a dealer I'd be phat-to-the-max,instead I just sleep well at night.