Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Recommend Me A Handgun (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/recommend-me-handgun-12842/)

FightinTexasAggie 04-13-2009 04:17 AM

Recommend Me A Handgun

While I am waiting on all my AR parts to come in (which will be several months at least), I decided that I want to pick up a decent handgun. This will be my first handgun purchase.

I want to get either a .40 or .45. It will be used for home defense, target shooting, plinking, and maybe eventually a concealed carry weapon.

I have been looking at the S&W M&P handguns and also the Sig Sauers. I want to get something decent that will be dependable and last me many years.

Yall are the experts, you tell me what would be a good buy for me.

Thanks

dunerunner 04-13-2009 04:37 AM

Personally, I'd buy a 9mm but then I also carry a .45 Colt Government. To recommend a weapon for you would be presumptuous as I don't know your size, shooting experience or anything else about your desire in a hand gun except that you want to use it for home defense. Remember any of the calibers mentioned will zoom through uninsulated interior walls and out of the house, placing family and neighbors in danger. A nice 12 gauge would work better, or if a hand gun is your absolute desire try the Judge and other .45 Long Colt/.410 revolvers by Taurus. They all will fire .45 long colt or .410 shotgun in a 5 cylinder revolver.

Taurus International Manufacturing Inc Video
Taurus International Manufacturing Inc Revolvers

mrm14 04-13-2009 05:35 AM

Personally I'm a revolver guy, however a friend of mine has a compact Para Ordance pistol in .45 ACP and it's sure sweet to shoot and accurate as well. I dont know what model it is and is is 20 give or take years old. Just a thought. You might check them out.

kdog 04-13-2009 07:27 AM

CZ75 series pistol plus a Kadet conversion kit for cheap plinking with 22`s.

The cz75 will last many years.

172pilot 04-13-2009 07:31 AM

Well im not an expert, but I have been shooting all my life and I own several firearms, so I know that gun advice may be biased and not reflect the most economical choice. Since I get a chance to be "Walther biased":D I will take it and say get a P99. I love mine, have never had a problem with it, and it comes in an awesome version with an O.D. green frame and black slide. A 9mm is probably the most economical cartridge for you because it sounds to me that youre relatively new to handguns and I know it would be better for you to be able to practice practice practice and not let cost or availability of ammunition get in the way. Competence with a 9mm is 1000x better than incompetence with any other round (hell I carry a .380 and feel perfectly comfortable). Now in keeping with "economical" advice, all the guns you listed are fine handguns and you can probably get them cheaper than the P99. That being said you should also look at Glocks, I personally hate them because of the way they look and feel but they are fine guns with a huge potential for customization, they are extremely durable, and as a 1st gun it wouldnt be a bad choice. You should feel out all your choices before you decide. It may be the best gun out there but if you dont like to shoot it then its useless.

Gojubrian 04-15-2009 04:17 PM

I'm XD biased. .40 subcompact for carry or any of the mentioned above.

Volomon 04-15-2009 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojubrian (Post 94865)
I'm XD biased. .40 subcompact for carry or any of the mentioned above.

Ya for a 40 I would go with XD as well.

Rare Faction 04-16-2009 01:02 AM

Personally, as a Sig fan, a P229 in .40 would be quite nice...I'll prolly be picking one up before the year is out to complement my P228

Chr 04-16-2009 03:28 AM

Grown partial to 1911's 45acp

I own a number of hand guns and find myself carrying most of the time. My first was a Sig P220. Great Gun!! If you want a small gun look at the Khar K9 stainless. However I have grown partial to 1911's 45ACP made by Kimber. Just ordered a Eclispe Pro ll for my summer carry. I do not mind the weight of a steel gun.
Try shooting a number of different guns at your range. Worst thing that will happen is you will have to by more than one.
Let us know what you settle on.

SGT-MILLER 04-16-2009 03:37 AM

Let's see. Recommend you a handgun.............

Nighthawk T3

http://www.tactical-life.com/online/.../nighthawk.gif