Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Recommed....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 01:33 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Recommed....

I'm looking for a small subcompact to use as my conceal carry. I'm not sure which is the best one
I've heard the Ruger is really good. I want a narrow skinny gun. Please give me some good suggestions. Thanks. I plan to buy this week. Something I can find ammo to as well. No .22. Prefer a 9mm or a .38

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-25-2013, 01:51 AM   #2

Liked 32 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 42

The Ruger LC9 is a good slim gun but the trigger is somewhat long and heavy. Just the same I think it's a very good gun for the money. Personally I prefer the S&W Shield but they are very hard to find. After those guns I would recommend the Walther PPS, Beretta Nano and Kahr CW9 (in that order). All of which are slim striker fired polymer framed 9mm's. Lots to choose from in today's market.

Old 02-25-2013, 02:39 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1639 Times on 712 Posts
Likes Given: 1242

I hear the Springfield Armory XDS 9mm is now on the market. I have one in 45 ACP and love it. Dont like the long heavy trigger pull on most of the sub compacts.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:19 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockratt
I hear the Springfield Armory XDS 9mm is now on the market. I have one in 45 ACP and love it. Dont like the long heavy trigger pull on most of the sub compacts.
XDS in 9mm is not out yet

Old 02-25-2013, 03:36 AM   #5

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Don't let what folks say about long heavy pull be misunderstood. Some guns are designed intentionally to have a long trigger pull.

You are less likely to have a negligient discharge or an accidental discharge. If you pull out a gun with the intent to shoot someone in self defense, as you can imagine, you will have enough adrenalin flowing you will overcome any disadvantage to a long trigger pull.

Long triggers (in my personal experience, anyway) DO have a tendacy to pull my gun off the point of aim (from the original intended point of aim, that is), so that is a legitimate complaint. With some practic at the range at, say 21 feet or less, you should still be able to hit center of mass using any of the guns mentioned above.

People Like This 
Old 02-25-2013, 04:18 AM   #6

Liked 32 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Looking back I noticed you also listed .38SPL. You simply cannot go wrong with a S&W J-frame (442/642) or a Ruger LCR. Capacity is limited and reload time somewhat slow but they are a joy to carry and get the job done just fine. I often times find myself choosing the S&W 642 and a pocket holster when leaving the house even though I have numerous ultra-slim semi-auto handguns to choose from. I don't have an LCR yet but I hear the trigger is pure joy.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:24 AM   #7
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19839 Times on 11263 Posts
Likes Given: 50013

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlwithgun View Post
I'm looking for a small subcompact to use as my conceal carry. I'm not sure which is the best one
I've heard the Ruger is really good. I want a narrow skinny gun. Please give me some good suggestions. Thanks. I plan to buy this week. Something I can find ammo to as well. No .22. Prefer a 9mm or a .38
welcome to the forum. stop over in the Introductions section and say hello.

my suggestion is this. try out many and see what fits your hand and feels the most comfortable. reason is the most suited to your hand is the one you will usually shoot the most accurately.

i am not going to suggest a particular brand or caliber. you need to find what fits you not me or anyone else. now when you have found a few that are suited towards you and that are some you might be considering, feel free to ask what are thoughts are on them. and for the record, there are lots of good choices in 9mm. just about everyone makes something in 9mm.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:12 AM   #8
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 212 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 116

I have been quite happy with my Beretta Nano. I replaced my Beretta 84fs with it and have been happy with the change. Yes it's quite a change; hammer fired to a striker, .380 to a 9mm, SA/DA to a DA, manual safety and decocker to a safe action trigger, 13+1 to 6 and of course carrying with one in the pipe and now, not. But practice and good firearm discipline that will get me used to those changes.

I like the comfort of the Nano's size and weight over the bulkiness of the Cheetah. The Nano is less than an inch thick at its thickest and weighs less than 20 oz loaded and is by far easier to conceal. It has performed flawlessly through all the different ammo I've put through it. Yes it is a long heavy trigger pull and reset but it hasn't affected me that much. I can also say that it's got less felt recoil than an LCP or LC9. My only challenge is with the grip as its a pocket gun and I've got medium sized hands, but that would be an issue for any pocket gun. And I use the term pocket loosely, it won't fit too well in a pocket IMO, not like an LCP. But it will conceal nicely in a pocketbook (for the ladies) or with an IWB holster.

image-3814669627.jpg  
Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56

Old 02-25-2013, 10:45 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6022 Times on 3298 Posts
Likes Given: 11512

Www.smallestguns.com

Old 02-25-2013, 11:07 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1764 Times on 987 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlwithgun View Post
I would take a look at the Sig P938 while you're at it. They have done a really good job with their springs, so to me it feels like recoil is less than many other guns in this weight class. Be advised, this firearm is based on the 1911 design and adds a manual safety to the mix. That may or may not be your thing. Carrying cocked and locked may not be high on your to-do list, either. It's still a firearm worth considering.