Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Recommed.... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/recommed-85089/)

girlwithgun 02-25-2013 01:33 AM

Recommed....

I'm looking for a small subcompact to use as my conceal carry. I'm not sure which is the best one
I've heard the Ruger is really good. I want a narrow skinny gun. Please give me some good suggestions. Thanks. I plan to buy this week. Something I can find ammo to as well. No .22. Prefer a 9mm or a .38

Sentry18 02-25-2013 01:51 AM

The Ruger LC9 is a good slim gun but the trigger is somewhat long and heavy. Just the same I think it's a very good gun for the money. Personally I prefer the S&W Shield but they are very hard to find. After those guns I would recommend the Walther PPS, Beretta Nano and Kahr CW9 (in that order). All of which are slim striker fired polymer framed 9mm's. Lots to choose from in today's market.

rockratt 02-25-2013 02:39 AM

I hear the Springfield Armory XDS 9mm is now on the market. I have one in 45 ACP and love it. Dont like the long heavy trigger pull on most of the sub compacts.

txcasey86 02-25-2013 03:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockratt
I hear the Springfield Armory XDS 9mm is now on the market. I have one in 45 ACP and love it. Dont like the long heavy trigger pull on most of the sub compacts.

XDS in 9mm is not out yet

NOVA 02-25-2013 03:36 AM

Don't let what folks say about long heavy pull be misunderstood. Some guns are designed intentionally to have a long trigger pull.

You are less likely to have a negligient discharge or an accidental discharge. If you pull out a gun with the intent to shoot someone in self defense, as you can imagine, you will have enough adrenalin flowing you will overcome any disadvantage to a long trigger pull.

Long triggers (in my personal experience, anyway) DO have a tendacy to pull my gun off the point of aim (from the original intended point of aim, that is), so that is a legitimate complaint. With some practic at the range at, say 21 feet or less, you should still be able to hit center of mass using any of the guns mentioned above.

Sentry18 02-25-2013 04:18 AM

Looking back I noticed you also listed .38SPL. You simply cannot go wrong with a S&W J-frame (442/642) or a Ruger LCR. Capacity is limited and reload time somewhat slow but they are a joy to carry and get the job done just fine. I often times find myself choosing the S&W 642 and a pocket holster when leaving the house even though I have numerous ultra-slim semi-auto handguns to choose from. I don't have an LCR yet but I hear the trigger is pure joy.

Axxe55 02-25-2013 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by girlwithgun (Post 1152739)
I'm looking for a small subcompact to use as my conceal carry. I'm not sure which is the best one
I've heard the Ruger is really good. I want a narrow skinny gun. Please give me some good suggestions. Thanks. I plan to buy this week. Something I can find ammo to as well. No .22. Prefer a 9mm or a .38

welcome to the forum. stop over in the Introductions section and say hello.

my suggestion is this. try out many and see what fits your hand and feels the most comfortable. reason is the most suited to your hand is the one you will usually shoot the most accurately.

i am not going to suggest a particular brand or caliber. you need to find what fits you not me or anyone else. now when you have found a few that are suited towards you and that are some you might be considering, feel free to ask what are thoughts are on them. and for the record, there are lots of good choices in 9mm. just about everyone makes something in 9mm.

drvsafe 02-25-2013 05:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have been quite happy with my Beretta Nano. I replaced my Beretta 84fs with it and have been happy with the change. Yes it's quite a change; hammer fired to a striker, .380 to a 9mm, SA/DA to a DA, manual safety and decocker to a safe action trigger, 13+1 to 6 and of course carrying with one in the pipe and now, not. But practice and good firearm discipline that will get me used to those changes.

I like the comfort of the Nano's size and weight over the bulkiness of the Cheetah. The Nano is less than an inch thick at its thickest and weighs less than 20 oz loaded and is by far easier to conceal. It has performed flawlessly through all the different ammo I've put through it. Yes it is a long heavy trigger pull and reset but it hasn't affected me that much. I can also say that it's got less felt recoil than an LCP or LC9. My only challenge is with the grip as its a pocket gun and I've got medium sized hands, but that would be an issue for any pocket gun. And I use the term pocket loosely, it won't fit too well in a pocket IMO, not like an LCP. But it will conceal nicely in a pocketbook (for the ladies) or with an IWB holster.

MisterMcCool 02-25-2013 10:45 AM

Www.smallestguns.com

Doc3402 02-25-2013 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by girlwithgun (Post 1152739)

I would take a look at the Sig P938 while you're at it. They have done a really good job with their springs, so to me it feels like recoil is less than many other guns in this weight class. Be advised, this firearm is based on the 1911 design and adds a manual safety to the mix. That may or may not be your thing. Carrying cocked and locked may not be high on your to-do list, either. It's still a firearm worth considering.