Recoil Basics

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Recoil Basics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2007, 04:51 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Recoil Basics

Ok I have a question regarding recoil.

When you pull the trigger the bullet enters the barrel of the gun, this is when the energy is released from the gunpowder and when I would expect most of the kick to come from.

The question is, does the bullet exit the barrel after the recoil from the energetic release forces it to move (recoil) and cause inaccuracy or does the bullet exit before the recoil kicks the barrel up or is it somewhere in between?
If this is the case could you put weights on your barrel to make it more accurate?

In short, does recoil effect the shot your making or does it effect aiming for the next shot more?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-02-2007, 09:23 PM   #2
Jay

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts

Recoil in and of itself does not adversely affect accuracy. The bullet is out of the barrel before recoil begins.

Anticipation of recoil (flinching) will and does adversely affect accuracy. I don't know of anyone that can eliminate recoil, and that leaves us with controlling it in such a manner that a subsequent shot may be taken as accurately as possible. In many cases, a shooter will anticipate the recoil.... in order to make the recoil easier to control, you have to know when the shot is going to be fired. The only way to know that is to jerk the trigger so the shot happens when you want it to. That jerk, (flinch) will greatly diminish accuracy. A smooth, controlled trigger squeeze is much more accurate, and should result in each shot being a surprise to the shooter.

Practice, Practice, Practice........

NRA Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 10-03-2007, 02:28 PM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

What you call recoil is due to expanding gas from the burnning powder. As it expands it pushes out in all directions, but since the barrel has a hole in only 1 end this pressure pushes the bullet out the barrel, and since every action as an equial and oppisite reaction, it pushes back on the gun with the same force, and this force stoppes when the bullet and the presure exit the barrel. So the recoil reall starts when the primer starts to burn and ends when the gas presure in the barrel is equial to the air presure.
The effects of recoil on depend on velsoity and amount of recoil. The longer the barrel the longer the bullet will be in the barrel and the greater the effects will be if the barrel jump is the same as with a short barrel, but shorter barrels are liter and jump at a faster rate. I load basicly 2 different rounds for the .44 mag. I load max. loads of Win. 296 behind a 240 gn. jacketed bullet for hunting ans a lite load of Bullseye behind a .240 gn. cast bullet for plinking. I have acouple of .44 mag. revolvers. I have a Black Hawk with a 7 1/2 in. barrel and an El Dorado with an 11 1/2 in. barrel. In the Ruger with the 7 1/2 in barrel the point of impact of the hunting ammo is several inches higher than the plinking ammo. On the El Dorado, with the longer barrel, the point of impact is of the plinking ammo is higher than the hunting ammo.

Catfish
Ohio