Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Rebluing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2010, 03:43 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Rebluing

I've heard several ways to go with rebluing, even throwing some guns away instead of wasting the time & buying new ones. Not a big fan of throwing firearms away, especially good, reliable ones, regardless of name brand...okay except for Davis & maybe Jennings(never shot a Jennings). Davis nearly cost my mom her life, I wouldn't turn one into the Police for a new pair of sneakers...P.O.S.. So, does anybody have suggestions on which way to go with a do it yourself kit for rebluing a pistol. The two that everybody harps on are Blue Wonder & Brownell's. My two biggest issues are not to break the bank & to have a fairly decent looking finish. Thanks everyone!

"Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience." ~

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-26-2010, 05:34 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8613 Times on 3732 Posts
Likes Given: 1323

I have not seen a cold blue that will look as good and as even as a hot blue. Both Brownells and Blue Wonder are better than other cold blues- but still not as dark, even, or durable as a hot blue. The key is prep of the metal- polish it- and degrease it before bluing. Warm metal will blue much better. Rebluing a fiream tends to lower its resale value. If you are redo-ing a single shot 22- go for it. A nice S&W revolver- find a smith that does bluing.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 07-26-2010, 06:17 AM   #3

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Cold bluing is great for touch up work but if it's a whole weapon I'm wanting to refinish then I'd opt for a hot blue job every time.

There are other things you can use other than bluing that might not be as difficult to do. It all depends on what you really want. If it is to get them back to like new then there are tons of instructional vids to aid you in your quest.

I will agree with you that unless the weapon is total junk then it's worth fixing.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 07-26-2010, 08:17 AM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2756 Times on 1597 Posts
Likes Given: 1205

There are other alternatives. Some like GunKote (a spray-on, oven cure paint). There is nickel plating. Parkerizing is not that expensive and can be done on the grill (there are even youtube videos showing how).

Or, as I did with one, go to Wally World and pick up a can of Krylon. Touch ups can done later if needed, and curing is just letting the thing dry for a couple of weeks.

Good Luck

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 07-26-2010, 08:44 AM   #5

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I've seen a couple DuraCoat jobs that looked really good. I'n thinking about doing my Para LTC with it if I ever figure what I want it to look like when it's finished

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 07-26-2010, 08:53 AM   #6
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2756 Times on 1597 Posts
Likes Given: 1205

I did one and posted a picture (but I screwed up and tried to fix a "run" while still wet). I went with a desert tan on frame and flat black on slide and other parts. Look in the DIY where I posted "A couple I am working on"

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)