A really odd thing
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > A really odd thing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2009, 02:56 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default A really odd thing

I just purchased a used Dan Wesson .357 mag revolver at a local show. In the dim light of the building I had noticed that there was some red stuff on the sides. I first thought it was just lint from a felt cloth and figured it was no big deal, I can clean it when I get home. Once home and upon further examination I found it to be red paint (yes it is paint and not some other red substance) that someone had removed the majority of. No big deal it is a used gun and I got it at a good price so I'll just clean it up better.
Of course the first thought to come to mind is that perhaps it was a rental gun at a shooting range. But then when I tried to chamber a round in the cylinder it would not go but about half way in. Nor would it take a 38 spl. round as well. I then found small split sleeves inserted into each chamber. It seems their sole purpose is to prevent the gun from being loaded with live ammo. I pressed them out with a small wooden dowel. They do not seem to have any powder residue on them so I do not think that is was used for some kind of blank firing gun. I do not know of any other shorter cartridge that you could chamber in a .357 safely. Even if you could the sleeves would be a bad idea to have in the chamber as it could cause major problems when fired. I have looked it over closely and it does not seem to have any cracks or breaks in it. Which eliminates my second thought, that it was painted red to indicate that it was unsafe to fire. There is almost no wear on the breech face to indicate that it has been shot much and minimal wear on the finish that you would find from holster wear. I am really quite puzzled with this.
Any suggestions?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-23-2009, 03:36 AM   #2

Liked 39 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I don't know if that is posible in U.S but in Spain (and some countries of Europe) you have limited access to firearms, so if you want to colect firearms some are "inutilizadas", is like make something to avoid being shooted... and some are marked that way.... like the airsofts (orange tip of the barrel). Maybe is something that can be reversed, but take it to an armorer and check that.

“You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that, my dear friend, is the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Dr. Adrian Rogers”

TELL CHAVEZ NOW! CLICK HERE

Old 03-23-2009, 11:32 AM   #3

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

I would make sure to have your smith really check this one out before shooting it.

Old 03-23-2009, 03:49 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You better check to see is it even has a firing pin.

Old 03-25-2009, 02:25 AM   #5
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Take it to a good gunsmith to understand what you have. I don't believe Dan and Wesson made blank pistols so I expect it has been modified for a reason and only a good gun smith can tell you what you have. I wouldn't shoot it until you hhave it checked out.

Old 03-31-2009, 01:54 AM   #6

Got it to a smithy finally. He suggests that it was used as a prop gun. Said he has done a few for the theater before but his are more permanently disabled and not as easily returned to service as this one. It is fully functional and safe to shoot. I did not want to go back and ask the dealer for more details as I doubt that he would have known much less have told me anyway. I will be sure and let him be aware of my findings though.

Old 03-31-2009, 02:52 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Thanks for posting. Very interesting and an odd thing indeed.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams