Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > It really doesn't matter.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2013, 10:05 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum
Go to a gun store. Buy a handgun . . . semi auto or revolver. Buy ammo. Buy a lot of ammo. Load gun and shoot. Repeat often. See goblin. Remember practice, aim and fire. Gun goes "bang". Goblin goes "auggh!" Repeat as necessary (until Goblin stops saying "auggh!").

That's all there is to it. Everything else -- type of gun, make and model of gun, ammunition, holster, etc. -- is purely secondary. .22 will kill you as dead as a .44 magnum. There is no magic.
Reminds me to keep all calibers I would rather not be stuck with using to defend my life locked and away and unloaded! And to keep all preferred calibers loaded and readily available to defend my life!! Can't use what you can't get to!! Great thread and lesson in prioritizing preferred calibers!!

Old 08-16-2013, 01:54 AM   #42

Liked 62 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default Just a detail...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockratt View Post
I agree Trip but I remember reading an article in one of the mags years ago about the 22lr being one of the most deadly rounds ever created.
According to some report from medical examiners, the plurality of firearm deaths (during a certain several year time span, etc...) was due to the lowly .22 Long Rifle caliber. (No, I no longer have the report or the citation; I believe it was pre-internet.) (Sorry if I scared any kiddies.)

However, the actual cause of death was gangrene or some other hideous internal (infernal?) infection caused by the bullet hole and LACK OF TREATMENT.

It seems the .22 Long Rifle delivers a wound that can be borne for a while. No need to go see a doctor; besides, Emergency Rooms have to notify the police and so forth.

Yes, .22 lr is a great killer. However, if one shoots an attacker in self-defense, then the attacker carves off one's face with a broken bottle and then crawls off and dies, the defender has not really won.

Finally back in the United States!
OIIOHH
See my blog at:
http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

Old 08-16-2013, 02:07 AM   #43

Liked 343 Times on 229 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Nice weather we're having.
People Like This 
Old 08-16-2013, 03:30 AM   #44

Liked 1115 Times on 583 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn View Post
I think it needs to be a little warmer, but less humid.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:01 AM   #45

Liked 2403 Times on 1369 Posts
Likes Given: 1890

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum View Post
I've caught flak for saying this here before, but I don't feel underarmed with a .22 revolver. Sure, I 'd rather have my 1911, but with very few exceptions I just figure that I'll be okay with whatever I'm carrying.
WWII pilots claimed they got the most flak, when

they were dead on target. I recently came into a

nice little 9-shot 22 revolver. I also sometimes carry

it around in my pocket.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:42 AM   #46

Liked 207 Times on 166 Posts

txpossum can sell off any other ammo and guns he has as a 22 is all he needs. I will carry my large caliber handguns and be glad I have them. I will never carry a .22 so long as any larger cartridge is avalible. Well any other but a 25acp. Not what happens to most tx possums ?? They still waisted on the road by a car or chewed up by a dog. hehehe

Last edited by hardluk1; 08-26-2013 at 05:42 PM.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:08 PM   #47

Liked 2175 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
txpossum can sell off any other ammo and guns he has as a 22 is all he needs. I will carry my large caliber handguns and be glad I have them. I will never carry a .22 so long as any larger cartridge is avalible. Well any other but a 25acp. No what happens to most tx possums ?? They still waisted on the road by a car or chewed up by a dog. hehehe
Naw--- Theres plenty of possums around here---
Now ya don't see armydillas like we used too

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

People Like This 
Old 08-16-2013, 12:43 PM   #48
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1626 Times on 708 Posts
Likes Given: 1236

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManMontgomery View Post
According to some report from medical examiners, the plurality of firearm deaths (during a certain several year time span, etc...) was due to the lowly .22 Long Rifle caliber. (No, I no longer have the report or the citation; I believe it was pre-internet.) (Sorry if I scared any kiddies.)

However, the actual cause of death was gangrene or some other hideous internal (infernal?) infection caused by the bullet hole and LACK OF TREATMENT.

It seems the .22 Long Rifle delivers a wound that can be borne for a while. No need to go see a doctor; besides, Emergency Rooms have to notify the police and so forth.

Yes, .22 lr is a great killer. However, if one shoots an attacker in self-defense, then the attacker carves off one's face with a broken bottle and then crawls off and dies, the defender has not really won.
Oh come on now. 22LR is the finest killing machine ever devised by man!!! Infact it is so good they need to stop producing all of those other inferior rounds and pour all there efforts and material into making just 22LR ammo and maybe then I could find a box of shells!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn View Post
Donn, It just doesn't get any better around here in Aug. Highs in the upper 70's,low's in the mid to low 50's.

Last edited by rockratt; 08-16-2013 at 02:22 PM.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:55 PM   #49

Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
txpossum can sell off any other ammo and guns he has as a 22 is all he needs. I will carry my large caliber handguns and be glad I have them. I will never carry a .22 so long as any larger cartridge is avalible. Well any other but a 25acp. No what happens to most tx possums ?? They still waisted on the road by a car or chewed up by a dog. hehehe
Some guys just dont get it. Txpossum got a very good point. Better to have somethin than nuthin. Perfect practise makes perfect.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:39 PM   #50

Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spack762

Some guys just dont get it. Txpossum got a very good point. Better to have somethin than nuthin. Perfect practise makes perfect.
I get this message, loud and clear!!