Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > It really doesn't matter.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2013, 03:58 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 391 Times on 212 Posts
Likes Given: 80

I'm still a believer in the maxim "The best gun is the one you have"

What I tire of in these endless debates is that so often people seem to be justifying their own choices rather than making a legitimate case.

Look, I keep a .45 for home defense. That's my choice. Then I turn around and recommend a 9mm or .38 for a new shooter and other .45 guys look at me like I grew a third eye. I'm not going to pretend that the .45 is the ultimate round that everyone should use. It is not without its drawbacks. If a new shooter wants to actually spend the time and money to familiarize with .45 then great. It's not magic to learn I just have very little confidence that it won't turn off a brand new shooter. I'd rather they have a 9mm they will practice with than a .45 they'll keep in a drawer.

Some people have medical conditions that prevent them from using a larger round. I try (and often fail) not to scoff at .32 ACP but some people are fine with it.

I do try to keep my advice to the basics. I try to keep bias out of it.

My biggest fear is letting my personal preference and choices get in the way and then recommending the wrong gun for someone. There are some generic choices that aren't sexy, aren't pricey, and aren't radical but will fit most shooters. Think Toyota Camry but for guns. The last thing I want is for someone to not take their own needs into account, buy a gun, and then think "Why did I buy this thing? I hate shooting it and I don't want to practice with it."

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain

My Firearm Reviews -
Beretta U22 Neos
Magnum Research Baby Eagle II .45 ACP

Old 08-15-2013, 04:06 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1640 Times on 713 Posts
Likes Given: 1242

I agree Trip but I remember reading an article in one of the mags years ago about the 22lr being one of the most deadly rounds ever created. The authors theory was that it had enough velocity to enter but not to exit therefore it just ricocheted around inside the body punching holes.
I use to believe that if you didn't have a certain caliber in a certain make you had no clue and would argue my point to the end. I now realize that they are all good if that is what you are comfortable putting your life on the line with. Good thread.......

Old 08-15-2013, 04:14 PM   #13

Liked 1115 Times on 583 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Why do y'all keep trying to turn this conversation into what caliber is best for defense. I'm not saying everything is equal, or that I don't have preferences. But I am saying that experience and practice can make most guns adequate for self defense if that's all you've got handy.

Old 08-15-2013, 04:26 PM   #14
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2646 Times on 1541 Posts
Likes Given: 1174

The best thing to have in any gun fight is a gun (hopefully loaded).

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 08-15-2013, 04:26 PM   #15

Liked 163 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum

Yep. Arguing 'bout guns is a good way to pass the time. Would be more fun, though, if everyone were as reasonable as I am.
I'm reasonable too as long as everyone agrees with me.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:58 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 407 Times on 246 Posts
Likes Given: 131

I couldn't agree with you more. I carry just about everything from a 22 to a 45acp. I feel comfortable with all of them.

You don't have to remember the truth
NRA Member

Old 08-15-2013, 06:01 PM   #17

Liked 2358 Times on 1376 Posts
Likes Given: 1500

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum View Post
I used to ague a lot about the "best" gun/ammo combo for self defense (okay, okay, I know I STILL do, but mostly because I like a good discussion), but truth be known, these days I'll just do the job with what I have handy. I've caught flak for saying this here before, but I don't feel underarmed with a .22 revolver. Sure, I 'd rather have my 1911, but with very few exceptions I just figure that I'll be okay with whatever I'm carrying.
absolutely agree & well said...but if we don't argue over brands and calibers and actions......this would be a pretty quiet place!

i'll start.....9mm's are for wimps!

now the conversation might start to get interesting......

Old 08-15-2013, 06:04 PM   #18

Liked 1115 Times on 583 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Well, of COURSE they are. If you want to start a discussion, you need to state something that's not so self-evident.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:06 PM   #19

Quote:
Go to a gun store. Buy a handgun . . . semi auto or revolver. Buy ammo. Buy a lot of ammo. Load gun and shoot. Repeat often. See goblin. Remember practice, aim and fire. Gun goes "bang". Goblin goes "auggh!" Repeat as necessary (until Goblin stops saying "auggh!").

That's all there is to it. Everything else -- type of gun, make and model of gun, ammunition, holster, etc. -- is purely secondary. .22 will kill you as dead as a .44 magnum. There is no magic.
here's an opinion that agrees with you. good story that supports whatever gun you might have is far better than NO gun.

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/ayoob62.html

Old 08-15-2013, 06:07 PM   #20

Quote:

Well, of COURSE they are. If you want to start a discussion, you need to state something that's not so self-evident.
HEY! I was kidding! my beretta compact 92 is my favorite pistol!

I think a duel is in order now.....