Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   It really doesn't matter. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/really-doesnt-matter-95469/)

txpossum 08-15-2013 02:23 PM

It really doesn't matter.

Go to a gun store. Buy a handgun . . . semi auto or revolver. Buy ammo. Buy a lot of ammo. Load gun and shoot. Repeat often. See goblin. Remember practice, aim and fire. Gun goes "bang". Goblin goes "auggh!" Repeat as necessary (until Goblin stops saying "auggh!").

That's all there is to it. Everything else -- type of gun, make and model of gun, ammunition, holster, etc. -- is purely secondary. .22 will kill you as dead as a .44 magnum. There is no magic.

JimRau 08-15-2013 02:34 PM

Some people over complicate this issue, some over simplify it!!!!;)
There is no 'magic', but there is 'reality' and 'science'!:)

txpossum 08-15-2013 02:40 PM

I used to ague a lot about the "best" gun/ammo combo for self defense (okay, okay, I know I STILL do, but mostly because I like a good discussion), but truth be known, these days I'll just do the job with what I have handy. I've caught flak for saying this here before, but I don't feel underarmed with a .22 revolver. Sure, I 'd rather have my 1911, but with very few exceptions I just figure that I'll be okay with whatever I'm carrying.

hardluk1 08-15-2013 02:49 PM

txpossums words of wisdom !! Let video him on a hog hunt with old RG pot metal .22lr and then a good mid range 357mag mag and see with 6 shots how well he does. No caged hogs now. Stalk right up amongst them and giver heck. OR take you to Chicago's bad parts at night with that ruger .22lr with a couple bows of ammo or would you rather have a 9mm 40 or 45 highpoint and a coule box's of ammo. Just because something can work under the luckest of scenarios does not mean it remotely smart to do.

txpossum 08-15-2013 02:54 PM

Now, hunting is a different issue. I'm talking about self defense. And, I would have no qualms about walking down the mean streets with my Ruger Mk. Sure, if I could pick, I'd go with something different, but if circumstances left me with the .22 . . . a lot better than nothing in one's hand, and, as I said before, a .22 will kill you just as dead as anything else. It's not the gun that's deadly.

Oh . . . and I should add that I'll do the job with any of my guns, regardless of make or caliber . . . implicit in the post was that they are decent quality guns. Well, with any of my guns with the exception to that old RG I don't like to talk about.

rickster 08-15-2013 03:35 PM

I somewhat agree. A well placed 22 can do more damage than a 44 magnum shot to the toe. It's better to have something than be defenseless. But in reality, I prefer and trust a fairly well placed 40 S&W, under stress and/or attack, to stop a BG coming at me high on who knows what. So to a certain degree it really kinda matters.

trip286 08-15-2013 03:37 PM

Yeah, I have no caliber preference myself. I feel like a self defense gun should be at least a center fire simply because rim fires do sometimes fail to fire. Center fire seems to bare a bit more reliable, and reliability, imo, is the biggest factor in a carry gun.

HOSSFLY 08-15-2013 03:49 PM

Never really thought so either but at times I do enjoy the pissin contest that goes on about the subject ;)

txpossum 08-15-2013 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOSSFLY (Post 1336183)
Never really thought so either but at times I do enjoy the pissin contest that goes on about the subject ;)

Yep. Arguing 'bout guns is a good way to pass the time. Would be more fun, though, if everyone were as reasonable as I am.

HOSSFLY 08-15-2013 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txpossum (Post 1336189)
Yep. Arguing 'bout guns is a good way to pass the time. Would be more fun, though, if everyone were as reasonable as I am.

My thought zackly! :p