Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Rat Shot?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2012, 05:03 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2252 Times on 1184 Posts
Likes Given: 153

The shot is lead. The barrel is steel. Lead will not damage steel. You may get fouling if you shoot shot shells a BUNCH, but few will ever fire enough.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 02-01-2012, 05:12 AM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The plastic-cupped bird-shot will not hurt your barrel, tho be sure to clean it on account of the plastic. Ive used the .38/357 most, and close in it is marginal on the mean ass rattlers (diamondbacks) we see sometimes. On the smaller prairie rattlers, it's ok. I dunno about those .410 revolvers but a load of #6 shot should work. Me, I prefer a 12 gauge preferably an auto. I hate snakes, particularly the vipers. Granted emptying the extended mag on one snake is a bit much...
Here in the southern Colorado foothills there is a kind of snake which will kill and displace rattlers.. can't recall the name but Ive seen em.. Caught some dang kids stoning one.. had one in a water tap pit and left it be... cool surprise for the meter reader

Old 02-01-2012, 05:19 AM   #13

Liked 998 Times on 597 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I turned over a piece of old plywood in my field one time and there was a cotton mouth underneath it. I shot it with my 12g and the impact flung it back in my face. Talk about walking on air!

There may have been a not so manly yell too, but i wont admit to that.

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 02-01-2012, 01:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray
I turned over a piece of old plywood in my field one time and there was a cotton mouth underneath it. I shot it with my 12g and the impact flung it back in my face. Talk about walking on air!

There may have been a not so manly yell too, but i wont admit to that.
I'm not particularly scared of snakes..... But Ida probably screamed like a little girl on that one.

But I was thinking Judge for snake control while out on the water ( we like to take our boat out and beach up on an island ) or hiking. But now I'm thinking an ordinary revolver and the rat shot.

Thanks guys.

Old 02-01-2012, 06:09 PM   #15

In late spring and early summer, copperheads are a big problem on the gravel road where I live. After dusk I can kill 2-3 every night for a month or so. I used to use **** shell in my 38 spl, but when they got to be $1.20 per shot that made the snakes too expensive. Now I use 22LR ratshot followed by a solid bullet if needed. Not as efficient, but it kills the snakes.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:45 PM   #16

Liked 22 Times on 15 Posts

I have a Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Colt loaded with CCI shot shells. Put a few through at the range for pattern and at five yards it was a pretty even spread from center.

We use them on gophers.

If I have to explain it, you probably won't understand it.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:25 PM   #17

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

Poor snakes!! I've taught the ones around here to just stay out from around my house. I've always just picked 'em up, including a bunch of copper heads & one cotton mouth that I found in my shop, & took 'em back to the woods where they belong. Haven't seen a single one in the last 2-3 years! They help keep the rat/mouse population under control.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:54 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by gollygee
Poor snakes!! I've taught the ones around here to just stay out from around my house. I've always just picked 'em up, including a bunch of copper heads & one cotton mouth that I found in my shop, & took 'em back to the woods where they belong. Haven't seen a single one in the last 2-3 years! They help keep the rat/mouse population under control.
Screw a bunch of that, i dont even touch them after i shoot them. Lol

Old 02-02-2012, 04:32 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by gollygee
I give em a wide berth. And haven't had to off one yet. But ya never know.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:33 AM   #20

Back in 2004 i was on my unit at the prison, the dorms are military style with double bunks so the inmates are totally free to move around. I was in my office about to walk out the door to tour my unit,an orderly walks into the office as i am walking out carrying this big black snake. About the time he says "look what i f--------" i kicked him in the stomache out of reflex and sent him and the snake flying out into the hallway. He had found the damn thing inside the mop closet and brought it to show me not knowing that im scared of snakes. That same inmate wouldnt come around me for about 3 weeks. I dont know what ever happened to the snake,they might have ate the damn thing for all i know.