Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Rat Shot? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/rat-shot-56729/)

fins59 01-31-2012 11:29 PM

Rat Shot?
 
Any opinions on shooting rat shot or so I've heard it called, through a rifled barrel. Can or will it damage the barrel? I only ask cause I've tossed around the idea of getting a Judge, mainly for the ability to shoot shot shells for snakes and such. I think if these little shot shells won't hurt my XD, or whatever else I get. I can skip the Judge and move on.

HOSSFLY 01-31-2012 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fins59 (Post 695424)
Any opinions on shooting rat shot or so I've heard it called, through a rifled barrel. Can or will it damage the barrel? I only ask cause I've tossed around the idea of getting a Judge, mainly for the ability to shoot shot shells for snakes and such. I think if these little shot shells won't hurt my XD, or whatever else I get. I can skip the Judge and move on.

Wont hurt anything-
I use 22lr & 357 quite a bit-
BUT- They wont cycle a auto----Fact i dont think theres even any made for any simi auto round-

hockeyjr1 01-31-2012 11:40 PM

You can shoot shot-shells from the judge. However.... The wad will spin against the rifling making the shot spin as it comes out of the barrel. It will produce a circular pattern on your target and won't be very accurate.

HOSSFLY 01-31-2012 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyjr1 (Post 695432)
You can shoot shot-shells from the judge. However.... The wad will spin against the rifling making the shot spin as it comes out of the barrel. It will produce a circular pattern on your target and won't be very accurate.

I think he's tryin to avoid buyin one-
Dont blame him none :rolleyes:

fins59 02-01-2012 01:06 AM

I do kinda want a Judge. Just not sure if that's where I really want to spend the money right now. Might just get a .357 & put some mini shot shells in it.

sweeper22 02-01-2012 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOSSFLY (Post 695427)
BUT- They wont cycle a auto----Fact i dont think theres even any made for any simi auto round-

CCI makes them for autos in 9mm, 40sw, 45acp. But as stated, they won't cycle well.

c3shooter 02-01-2012 02:28 AM

There areshot shells made for a variety of handguns- I have .45s and .38 Specials at the moment- as well as .22 LR and .22Mag.

It will NOT hurt your barrel. If you shot a LOT, you would need to scrub barrel (many have shot in a plastic capsule- you will scrub plastic out of barrel)

Due to the spin imparted by the rifling (as that fellow just said up there ^^) the shot column is thrown open, and at any great range, looks like a doughnut. IMHO, effective range for .22LR is about 10 ft, 22 Mag 15 feet, other handguns, about 20 ft.

While most shot loads will not cycle a semi, there WAS a 45 ACP shot load made for the Thompson SMG that fired full auto. Was a "riot control load". Still recall the ad copy from Auto Ordnance- "Calm a raging mob with the gentle patter of bird-shot". Yeah- fired full auto. OWTCH!!!:eek:

fins59 02-01-2012 03:30 AM

If I did semi. it would be a .45. since that's what I already got. I'm kinda browsing for my next gun now. Not sure which way I wanna go, revolver- Judge or .357, or semi. -probably another 1911 (just got my wife one).

MrWray 02-01-2012 04:55 AM

I keep rat shot for my 10/22 because i always kill about 7 or 8 poisonous snakes a year. Theres not much that im afraid of but if im surprised by a snake....get the hell out of my way!!

Marlinman 02-01-2012 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fins59
If I did semi. it would be a .45. since that's what I already got. I'm kinda browsing for my next gun now. Not sure which way I wanna go, revolver- Judge or .357, or semi. -probably another 1911 (just got my wife one).

Word to the wise from someone that has had 3 judges-4 if you count my 22 lr/mag rifle. They suck for just about everything BUT pest control

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:54 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.