At the range today I noticed something - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

At the range today I noticed something

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2011, 01:56 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 335 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Some time you may have to be a witness,
Funny you mention that, I was called as witness to a motor vehicle accident that happened over a year ago just today. The lawyer thinks all he will need to do is tell the other laywer he has a witness and one that remembers the details pretty well. I really hate these sub-par scummy insurance companies, I'll be glad to tell the details of what I witnessed.

Old 11-08-2011, 02:13 AM   #22

Liked 9211 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Ive been involved in more crap as a security officer for Cisco Systems, than in Military Police (but not infantry, that was mostly pretty hairy). Had to learn much about being a "good witness".

Old 11-08-2011, 03:22 AM   #23

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I generally never offer advice to a stranger without an initial conversation not related to the shooting. And even then, my advice comes in the form of my own experiences with dry-fire practice (like how my skill didn't move past "eh" until I did about 20k dry-fires over a 1-year period, among other exercises) and, just as importantly, SLOWING DOWN.

When teaching friends and such, I try to keep a balance between correcting their mistakes and just letting them enjoy squeezing off a few without buzzing in their ear and adjusting their hands every few shots. Just like with everything from math to music, I don't want to make it so tedius that it isn't fun, because then they'll just quit.

As far as range goes, with my handguns I practice from about 2yds to 25 yards in a given range session, with about 150 rounds or so from my primary defensive gun, then maybe another 100-150 rounds with a .22. I'll typically do double-tap drills on multiple targets ranging from about 2-12 yards, and then do some accuracy shooting at 25. Most range trips I even bring my handguns over to the rifle range and play with the 12" gong at 100 yards (or at 200 yards when I had my Raging Bull ).

Last edited by Lindenwood; 11-08-2011 at 03:27 AM.

Old 11-08-2011, 10:59 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1969 View Post
Did you read my first post? I don't think I am a better shooter than anyone else, as I stated. I am an observant person and tend to notice things. I notice what guns other people have, I do tend to notice how people are dressed IMO it is part of being aware of your surroundings. I pay attention to the world around me, but I am not passing judgment on anyone, just wondering if other people see the same things I do, or if I am maybe missing something that the other shooters are working on and that maybe I should too. I think you are the one passing judgement on me without knowing me or the facts.
just because you say you think your not a better shooter doesn't mean you actually do. You are the one who created a post about how horrible other shooters are.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:31 PM   #25
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2880 Times on 1581 Posts
Likes Given: 810

Whenever a shooter moves into the slot next to me I look. I suffered eye damage when an unthinking shooter moved in next to me on the rifle range. She was shooting a 300 WM with a muzzle brake and the muzzle blast went behind my glasses. I did not realize the damage until that night and was at the ophthalmologist the next day.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:10 AM   #26

Liked 9211 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerViolence

just because you say you think your not a better shooter doesn't mean you actually do. You are the one who created a post about how horrible other shooters are.
Sure, because when the OP points out that they may be new shooters and is wondering if they are trying to work out a specific issue that doesn't require accuracy, he's just being so judgmental right?

Old 11-09-2011, 07:08 PM   #27

Liked 2611 Times on 1484 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Practice doesn't make perfect.

But I have a BB gun that I fired 65,000+ rounds through

over a couple of years, and after about 2000 rounds I could

hold the rifle out single handed and hit a dime at 50 yards.

IME, repetition has a profound effect on accuracy.

That said, I enjoy going down to the local range.

I meet a lot of nice people, we try each other's guns,

and have a good time. If somebody's a prick, I move.