At the range today I noticed something - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

At the range today I noticed something

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2011, 11:04 PM   #11
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2884 Times on 1582 Posts
Likes Given: 810

I usually dont say anything unless asked or if I see something dangerous. I recently stopped an English tourist that had never shot a pistol before. He had his left thumb over his hand behind the slide.

Old 11-07-2011, 11:24 PM   #12

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

I usually don't offer much help unless I'm asked. I'm not a bad pistol shooter, but I know I'm definitely not the best and have some bad habits that I try to work out of when I go to the range. I usually get the questions about shooting when I'm on the rifle range. I'm a much better shot with a rifle than a pistol and of course that's because pistols aren't designed with lefties in mind, well at least that's what I like to tell myself.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 11-07-2011, 11:35 PM   #13
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2884 Times on 1582 Posts
Likes Given: 810

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado113 View Post
I usually don't offer much help unless I'm asked. I'm not a bad pistol shooter, but I know I'm definitely not the best and have some bad habits that I try to work out of when I go to the range. I usually get the questions about shooting when I'm on the rifle range. I'm a much better shot with a rifle than a pistol and of course that's because pistols aren't designed with lefties in mind, well at least that's what I like to tell myself.
Charter arms makes left handed revolvers.

Old 11-07-2011, 11:47 PM   #14

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
Charter arms makes left handed revolvers.
I'm actually a better pistol shot with my weak hand and honestly I think that would actually be weird. It's just like anything else us lefties have to adapt and overcome. I use scissors in my right hand cause I can't cut with my left hand.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 11-07-2011, 11:57 PM   #15

Liked 1728 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 374

Owning handguns, and shooting handguns doesn't mean you know what you are doing. A couple of hours instruction with any shooter that isn't scared of his/her pistol should have them hitting a 9" target consistantly at 21 feet.

It is far easier to take a student who has never shot and get him/her on target than to take a life-long shooter who never learned the basics and try to un-learn their bad habits.

Carl Sagan

Old 11-08-2011, 12:10 AM   #16

Liked 335 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksolo69 View Post
Well, although I do like to mingle at the range I usually just leave people to their own devices. I personally like to shoot bullseye so at the pistol range all of my targets are set at a minimum of 25 yards. I find it pointless to shoot pistols at 21 feet, but, to each his own. No sport in my opinion. What I find even more interesting is the guy who has a .223 rifle and sets his targets 10 yards away. Now that IS POINTLESS.
Most SD situations happen at less than 10 feet, I don't see how it is pointless to practice in that range. I like to send the paper out far at the range too, it's fun to shoot but I try to mix it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
Not having seen what you describe I have no idea how badly the others were shooting but from my personal experience I know that I do not always shoot for groups at the range. Often times I am working on trigger pull, follow up shots, double taps, etc. I am happy when all shots hit center mass, afterall there are no multiple levels of dead bad guy.

Perhaps this is what you are seeing as well.
That's what I was thinking might be going on. If they are hitting center mass I suppose that is what really matters.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:17 AM   #17

I usually don't spend my time critiquing other shooters. Maybe that's because I do not have an unlimited amount of money and can only justify going o the range a handful of times each year. Regardless though when I am there I have no attention focused on what others are shooing let alone there grouping.
Do you look at other peoples clothing? Apparently you have the tendency to judge others based on, well no solid facts. May e you should focus on your shooting and not that of others, thats what I do at least.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:29 AM   #18

Liked 335 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Did you read my first post? I don't think I am a better shooter than anyone else, as I stated. I am an observant person and tend to notice things. I notice what guns other people have, I do tend to notice how people are dressed IMO it is part of being aware of your surroundings. I pay attention to the world around me, but I am not passing judgment on anyone, just wondering if other people see the same things I do, or if I am maybe missing something that the other shooters are working on and that maybe I should too. I think you are the one passing judgement on me without knowing me or the facts.

Old 11-08-2011, 01:04 AM   #19

Liked 9213 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1969
Did you read my first post? I don't think I am a better shooter than anyone else, as I stated. I am an observant person and tend to notice things. I notice what guns other people have, I do tend to notice how people are dressed IMO it is part of being aware of your surroundings. I pay attention to the world around me, but I am not passing judgment on anyone, just wondering if other people see the same things I do, or if I am maybe missing something that the other shooters are working on and that maybe I should too. I think you are the one passing judgement on me without knowing me or the facts.
Good reply. It was a solid observation. And your right, situational awareness means being aware. Some time you may have to be a witness, and it's good practice to notice things others wouldn't, like a worn out pair of reeboks.

Old 11-08-2011, 01:15 AM   #20

Liked 134 Times on 86 Posts

Its sad how often I see it. joe shmo drops $1500 on a handgun and becomes an expert marksman overnight. Look at me and my..."brand" ..... This is the only gun that matters in the world. You have a what!? Ewww, you bought that? Its annoying, I just keep to myself at the public ranges.

Signing out, Alpha1victor.