At the range today I noticed something
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > At the range today I noticed something

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2011, 06:41 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 335 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Default At the range today I noticed something

Please don't take this as a post about how I think I shoot better than anyone else, I don't think that and that's not the point of my post.
So, at the range today there were a few other shooters. Most were shooting .45's, 9mm's a couple .22's and a .40 or two and a DE .44 Supermag. All these shooters were sending the targets out to about 15-20 feet. I was really surprised at poorly these people were shooting. Granted they could be new shooters or maybe they had new guns or maybe they were working out some kind of issue, but most of them were there with at least two, if not three or more handguns and they were shooting them all. I would never say anything critical to anyone about their shooting at the range, but I do wonder if they are trying to get better or are they just ingraining old, bad habits further into their muscle memory, I am a subscriber to the old saying that "practice does not make perfect, perfect practice makes does". I generally only worry about myself at the range, but I have a bit of a competitive streak in me and I can't help but compare myself to others, if only to gauge my own progress. Anyone else notice this at you local range?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-07-2011, 07:13 PM   #2
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1969 View Post
Please don't take this as a post about how I think I shoot better than anyone else, I don't think that and that's not the point of my post.
So, at the range today there were a few other shooters. Most were shooting .45's, 9mm's a couple .22's and a .40 or two and a DE .44 Supermag. All these shooters were sending the targets out to about 15-20 feet. I was really surprised at poorly these people were shooting. Granted they could be new shooters or maybe they had new guns or maybe they were working out some kind of issue, but most of them were there with at least two, if not three or more handguns and they were shooting them all. I would never say anything critical to anyone about their shooting at the range, but I do wonder if they are trying to get better or are they just ingraining old, bad habits further into their muscle memory, I am a subscriber to the old saying that "practice does not make perfect, perfect practice makes does". I generally only worry about myself at the range, but I have a bit of a competitive streak in me and I can't help but compare myself to others, if only to gauge my own progress. Anyone else notice this at you local range?
When at the range i generally try to strike up conversation and if someone is shooting poorly try to give friendly advice. I know i have learned a LOT from others when they were nice enough to offer advice in a friendly manner.

But i have also met those that pull the "me and my (insert type/brand/cal. gun) are the best."

Met a guy one day "teaching" his daughters boyfriend about guns. He had a 000001 serial # Kimber that he was just full of himself about. Now my springer is a VERY well used machine and is need of a rebuild. (Barrel and bushing) and he looked down his nose and talked it down. (ina friendly way )

Well he steps up and cuts loose with his Kimber. Puts 7 rounds all over a 12" paper plate and says "now THATS how you shoot a .45". My youngest looks at him and started to say something. I all but had to gag the kid! (he often wags his tongue before thinking) I then load up the Springer, and cut loose (before i had just been doing rapid fire drill and my patterns were decidedly large...hitting all on a standard sheet of notebook paper) with an eye towards hitting the bull....i dropped 6 of 7 in one ragged hole.

The kimber shooters daughter then pipes off and says "I want HIM (meaning me) to teach us, daddy!!

::isclaimer::

I am by no means a perfect shot,nor professional caliber shooter. i just like to shoot and shoot a lot.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 11-07-2011, 08:55 PM   #3

Liked 335 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

I really don't feel that I am at a point to give advice yet. I have been shooting since I was 8 years old, but mostly shotgun and rifle, I have only been into handguns for about 5 years and only recently have I been putting in any real time at the range. I do study a lot, read and research and observe. I am a pretty good visual learner, I can pretty much watch someone and copy them after a few minutes. This comes from decades of intense ski coaching (I used to be a ski racer) I think being aware of your body and your balance is a huge thing in any sport. I am the new guy at my local range and I don't want to step on any toes. I do want to get some real training soon but that might have to wait until summer.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:57 PM   #4

Liked 9209 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

This is why I have one handgun right now (hoping to change that with a 1911 purchase in a few months). Someone give me the source of one of my favorite quotes, as I can't remember, "Beware the man with only one gun. Chances are, he knows how to use it."

Old 11-07-2011, 09:06 PM   #5
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
I really don't feel that I am at a point to give advice yet. I have been shooting since I was 8 years old, but mostly shotgun and rifle, I have only been into handguns for about 5 years and only recently have I been putting in any real time at the range. I do study a lot, read and research and observe. I am a pretty good visual learner, I can pretty much watch someone and copy them after a few minutes. This comes from decades of intense ski coaching (I used to be a ski racer) I think being aware of your body and your balance is a huge thing in any sport. I am the new guy at my local range and I don't want to step on any toes. I do want to get some real training soon but that might have to wait until summer.
Same here friend.

But ANYONE can learn from ANYONE of ANY skill level. That is one irrefutible truth i have learned in my days. One never knows where the next lesson will come from. Only those that think they know it all, are not capable of learning...and vice versa when it comes to teaching. Learning is in the ability of the student to accept the knowledge...no matter the source.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 11-07-2011, 10:01 PM   #6

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
This is not that uncommon at the many ranges I have visited over the years. The more public the range, the more common. The less public, less common. If someone asks, I will help, if not I stay to myself, unless there is a safety issue.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:09 PM   #7

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I used to think that being able to stand still, and blow the ten ring out of a piece of paper was an accomplishment.

Its not, because with practice, anyone can do it.

Being one of the top IDPA shooters in my area, I now realize what an accomplishment is.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 11-07-2011, 10:21 PM   #8

Well, although I do like to mingle at the range I usually just leave people to their own devices. I personally like to shoot bullseye so at the pistol range all of my targets are set at a minimum of 25 yards. I find it pointless to shoot pistols at 21 feet, but, to each his own. No sport in my opinion. What I find even more interesting is the guy who has a .223 rifle and sets his targets 10 yards away. Now that IS POINTLESS.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:33 PM   #9

Liked 780 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 499

Not having seen what you describe I have no idea how badly the others were shooting but from my personal experience I know that I do not always shoot for groups at the range. Often times I am working on trigger pull, follow up shots, double taps, etc. I am happy when all shots hit center mass, afterall there are no multiple levels of dead bad guy.

Perhaps this is what you are seeing as well.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 11-07-2011, 10:45 PM   #10
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8326 Times on 4975 Posts
Likes Given: 10784

I usually go to the range alone. I would hope that if someone saw me doing something wrong, they would politely come and correct me. I don't know how else I'll learn. And I like meeting new people.