Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Range practice distances

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2010, 06:34 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Range practice distances

What distances do you normally shoot from when you go to the practice range with your handgun?
Is there a standard close and far distance that most people practice from?
Is seven yards too close?
What would you consider to be too far?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-20-2010, 07:18 PM   #2

depends on the handgun, on my kimber 3" the farthest I ever go is 25yds but I usually practice at about 15 yds or so. 7 yds is def. not too close in my book, and anything over 25 yds is too far for me.

But if I am shooting a glock or my springfield xd 40 I usually go about 175 yds...

Last edited by SHSBulldog06; 06-20-2010 at 07:20 PM.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:52 PM   #3

Liked 1403 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTMiller View Post
What distances do you normally shoot from when you go to the practice range with your handgun?
Is there a standard close and far distance that most people practice from?
Is seven yards too close?
What would you consider to be too far?
What are you practicing for?

Personal Defense, Competition, Range Lizard Plinking?

I shoot 80%+ PD to keep my carry skills up. This includes the draw.

I shoot, and instruct PD at CQB distance and closer. (~6.5 meters or 21') Think Tueller Drill.

I start a noobie at 3 meters or about ten feet. The object is to build confidence and have fun. The worst thing you can do to a nicky-new-guy is to stick a target out at fifty feet and hand the guy a gun he has never shot. After two or three mags with no hits on paper he's ready to head home or get a beer!

Put that same guy 10 feet from the target and watch him learn how to walk a round in to the ten ring. Success builds success and you will more than likely run out of ammo before he wants that beer.

Let the student tell you when he wants more challenge. He won't say "move the target out" but more likely say this is easy. That's your clue he's getting board and time to put 50% more range on the target.

I bet more noobies have been put off by a long distance introduction to firearms. They rarely will return to shooting fearful of experiencing the failure of his maiden voyage.

At this close range it is easier to make corrections to form and placement with a much higher success rate. Once you embark on a path and experience instant success, the remaining journey is pleasurable. I would probably be playing golf today instead of shooting, if the distance to the flag was adjustable.

Ignore the long ball shooters around you. If you have selected a PD gun for CCW, IMHO, any shot > 15 meters isn't personal defense, it's hunting!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 06-20-2010, 07:55 PM   #4

Liked 1403 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHSBulldog06 View Post
depends on the handgun, on my kimber 3" the farthest I ever go is 25yds but I usually practice at about 15 yds or so. 7 yds is def. not too close in my book, and anything over 25 yds is too far for me.

But if I am shooting a glock or my springfield xd 40 I usually go about 175 yds...
Bulldog, I think I'm gonna call BS on that distance.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 06-20-2010, 08:36 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Why? I regularly shoot 200 yards with my model 36 snubbie. But it took a while to learn the correct loft needed.

I shoot from seven to 25 yards with a handgun. All of my handguns are for defense, not hunting.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 06-20-2010, 09:04 PM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

For CC/defensive practice I usually focus on between 3 and 10 yards, with the majority at 7yards.

Starting to shoot competition has me also doing some practice at longer distances 10 to 30 yards. I just heard our sectional championship in september will have one stage that will have a string fired at 60yards-----------weak hand

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 06-20-2010, 10:14 PM   #7

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
For CC/defensive practice I usually focus on between 3 and 10 yards, with the majority at 7yards.:
That's pretty much what I stick to as well.

Old 06-20-2010, 10:22 PM   #8

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Any more than 10 yards and it is not self defense.

I'm a golfer and I train with my CC weapon the same way. Most of my shots at the golf range are wedges and 9 iron. After all that work on form and follow-through I shoot a few balls with my driver. It keeps me much more in tune with the fundamentals.

On the gun range, 80% or more within 10 yards (and even most of those in 2 or 3 rounds at a time) and only a magazine or two at 15-25 yards (my indoor range only goes out that far).

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 06-21-2010, 12:37 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7566 Times on 3296 Posts
Likes Given: 1122

My ccw guns? 7 yds. My target guns? 25 and 50 yds. My hunting guns? 100 yds. And the 100yds is not fast draw double tap 2 handed.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 06-21-2010, 01:40 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I would vote for practicing from 2-10 yards for self defense. Put in a strong dose of angled movement on your part (shooting while you move) and a draw from concealment. That's a good starting point. Oh and I almost forgot, multi hits in center mass.

There is in life perhaps one fleeting moment when the courage, dedication and resolve of one man gambling against all odds will alter the destiny of nations.