Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Range practice distances (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/range-practice-distances-28549/)

RTMiller 06-20-2010 07:34 PM

Range practice distances

What distances do you normally shoot from when you go to the practice range with your handgun?
Is there a standard close and far distance that most people practice from?
Is seven yards too close?
What would you consider to be too far?

SHSBulldog06 06-20-2010 08:18 PM

depends on the handgun, on my kimber 3" the farthest I ever go is 25yds but I usually practice at about 15 yds or so. 7 yds is def. not too close in my book, and anything over 25 yds is too far for me.

But if I am shooting a glock or my springfield xd 40 I usually go about 175 yds...:rolleyes:

canebrake 06-20-2010 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RTMiller (Post 303257)
What distances do you normally shoot from when you go to the practice range with your handgun?
Is there a standard close and far distance that most people practice from?
Is seven yards too close?
What would you consider to be too far?

What are you practicing for?

Personal Defense, Competition, Range Lizard Plinking?

I shoot 80%+ PD to keep my carry skills up. This includes the draw.

I shoot, and instruct PD at CQB distance and closer. (~6.5 meters or 21') Think Tueller Drill.

I start a noobie at 3 meters or about ten feet. The object is to build confidence and have fun. The worst thing you can do to a nicky-new-guy is to stick a target out at fifty feet and hand the guy a gun he has never shot. After two or three mags with no hits on paper he's ready to head home or get a beer!

Put that same guy 10 feet from the target and watch him learn how to walk a round in to the ten ring. Success builds success and you will more than likely run out of ammo before he wants that beer.

Let the student tell you when he wants more challenge. He won't say "move the target out" but more likely say this is easy. That's your clue he's getting board and time to put 50% more range on the target.

I bet more noobies have been put off by a long distance introduction to firearms. They rarely will return to shooting fearful of experiencing the failure of his maiden voyage.

At this close range it is easier to make corrections to form and placement with a much higher success rate. Once you embark on a path and experience instant success, the remaining journey is pleasurable. I would probably be playing golf today instead of shooting, if the distance to the flag was adjustable.

Ignore the long ball shooters around you. If you have selected a PD gun for CCW, IMHO, any shot > 15 meters isn't personal defense, it's hunting!

canebrake 06-20-2010 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SHSBulldog06 (Post 303273)
depends on the handgun, on my kimber 3" the farthest I ever go is 25yds but I usually practice at about 15 yds or so. 7 yds is def. not too close in my book, and anything over 25 yds is too far for me.

But if I am shooting a glock or my springfield xd 40 I usually go about 175 yds...:rolleyes:

Bulldog, I think I'm gonna call BS on that distance. http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...ons/cowboy.gif

CA357 06-20-2010 09:36 PM

Why? I regularly shoot 200 yards with my model 36 snubbie. But it took a while to learn the correct loft needed. ;)

I shoot from seven to 25 yards with a handgun. All of my handguns are for defense, not hunting.

Gatekeeper 06-20-2010 10:04 PM

For CC/defensive practice I usually focus on between 3 and 10 yards, with the majority at 7yards.

Starting to shoot competition has me also doing some practice at longer distances 10 to 30 yards. I just heard our sectional championship in september will have one stage that will have a string fired at 60yards-----------weak hand:eek:

General_lee 06-20-2010 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatekeeper (Post 303309)
For CC/defensive practice I usually focus on between 3 and 10 yards, with the majority at 7yards.:

That's pretty much what I stick to as well.

CHLChris 06-20-2010 11:22 PM

Any more than 10 yards and it is not self defense.

I'm a golfer and I train with my CC weapon the same way. Most of my shots at the golf range are wedges and 9 iron. After all that work on form and follow-through I shoot a few balls with my driver. It keeps me much more in tune with the fundamentals.

On the gun range, 80% or more within 10 yards (and even most of those in 2 or 3 rounds at a time) and only a magazine or two at 15-25 yards (my indoor range only goes out that far).

c3shooter 06-21-2010 01:37 AM

My ccw guns? 7 yds. My target guns? 25 and 50 yds. My hunting guns? 100 yds. And the 100yds is not fast draw double tap 2 handed.

Flint Rock 06-21-2010 02:40 AM

I would vote for practicing from 2-10 yards for self defense. Put in a strong dose of angled movement on your part (shooting while you move) and a draw from concealment. That's a good starting point. Oh and I almost forgot, multi hits in center mass:D.