Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > range guns?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2009, 10:01 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default range guns?

So on my quest for a new handgun I thought I would go to the local indoor range and shoot. I have a .380 and would like to go up in caliber from that. I do NOT want a Glock soooo what else should I try out before narrowing my decision down?
This hypothetical-yet-to-be-purchased firearm would be for concealed carry, for me a non giant girl.

Thanks guys

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-17-2009, 01:34 PM   #2

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

Jess, I would say that if you're looking for something more powerful than a .380, why don't you try out something like a springfield XD compact or smith M&P compact in either 9mm or .40S&W.
You could also try the Walther PPS, its a compact, thin poly pistol that comes in either 9mm or .40. I suggest handling and shooting these guns before making a decision as the walther might be a little too "glock like" for you, but it is easily concealed and the .40 packs a good punch.

Old 09-17-2009, 01:42 PM   #3

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

I'm a S&W fan, so I agree. a nice M&P in 9 or 40 if you can deal with the extra kick. I have the M&P in 45 and it is sweet.

Old 09-17-2009, 01:57 PM   #4

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

I carry a .380 a lot and I don't feel undergunned. This being said, 9mm has a lot more selection of bullet weights and types and is much easier to find - and cheaper. I'm an XD fan and I had a 9mm sub-compact for a time - great shooting gun.

I seriously recommend you shoot anything you're considering. I know a lot of folks that have bought .40s - only to find they don't like shooting them as they have VERY snappy recoil, especially in small and light carry guns...

Old 09-17-2009, 02:08 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You might want to also ck out the Taurus PT-745 compact, it is a 3incher and very compact and although mine is a 45, the recoil is very light and not noticed to me, it also does not print and to me is an ideal carry weapon, but that is me.

but as stated here, try to shoot before buying.

Layton

Old 09-17-2009, 02:17 PM   #6

Liked 39 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Taurus Millenium Pro PT111 or the Slimmer Taurus 709

“You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that, my dear friend, is the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Dr. Adrian Rogers”

TELL CHAVEZ NOW! CLICK HERE

Old 09-17-2009, 03:30 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Is it for home defense or is it for concealed carry? That will influence size considerably. Nine millimeter is an acceptable caliber, just buy good ammunition and it will do the job.

I don't care for .40 caliber, I find it neither fish nor fowl and too snappy for what it delivers. (maybe I'm just old) I prefer .45ACP, I think it is more comfortable to shoot.

CZ makes excellent pistols, include them in your search if you can. The XD's and the M&P's are also excellent quality and definitely worth trying out.

Have fun with your search.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-17-2009, 05:53 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

The Walther PPS in 9mm, Springfield XD 9sc, and Glock 26 are tops on my list. Have plenty of experience with the XD sc and the Glock. Both are very good weapons, easy to handle. I have only shot the PPS once, about 20 rounds, it was a little small for my hands, but it shot well also.

Whatever you choose, make sure you get lots of range time with your "protector". Good luck with your choice.

27 Words keep us "free"

Old 09-18-2009, 01:34 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 183 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 20

It might be worth your while to check out a CZ 2075 RAMI 9mm Sub Compact. This is the compact carry version of the CZ 75b, one of the finest 9mm platforms out there. It's a lightweight gun (22oz) with decent capacity at a reasonable price.

Last edited by sweeper22; 09-18-2009 at 01:38 AM.

Old 09-18-2009, 01:42 AM   #10

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
So on my quest for a new handgun I thought I would go to the local indoor range and shoot. I have a .380 and would like to go up in caliber from that. I do NOT want a Glock soooo what else should I try out before narrowing my decision down?
This hypothetical-yet-to-be-purchased firearm would be for concealed carry, for me a non giant girl.

Thanks guys
For personal protection? Are you open to say, a hammerless revolver? Because any of the light weight, easily concealed hammerless revolvers are a GREAT choice.

I think Cane has one that he carries and it's a 38 special I believe, +P rated, and it weighs less than 1 pound fully loaded. It's a sweet little gun that packs a hell of a whallop.

Or does it have to be a semi auto? Because the problem with a lot of "small" semi autos is that they are double stack, and since you are a "non-giant" I don't imagine you have large hands, so that could lead to some control issues....

What is the make of your .380?

My girl carries a 4.25" 1911 in 9mm. She carries, only, 135gr or 147 gr +P hollowpoints in it, and I am VERY comfortable both with that round and with her ability to put rounds on target. If someone interrupts her shoe-shopping, it's going to get bloody in a hurry.

So, you tell me, what is your idea of a good "carry" gun. What are you leaning towards?

JD