Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   range guns? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/range-guns-18171/)

Jess 09-17-2009 11:01 AM

range guns?

So on my quest for a new handgun I thought I would go to the local indoor range and shoot. I have a .380 and would like to go up in caliber from that. I do NOT want a Glock soooo what else should I try out before narrowing my decision down?
This hypothetical-yet-to-be-purchased firearm would be for concealed carry, for me a non giant girl.

Thanks guys

General_lee 09-17-2009 02:34 PM

Jess, I would say that if you're looking for something more powerful than a .380, why don't you try out something like a springfield XD compact or smith M&P compact in either 9mm or .40S&W.
You could also try the Walther PPS, its a compact, thin poly pistol that comes in either 9mm or .40. I suggest handling and shooting these guns before making a decision as the walther might be a little too "glock like" for you, but it is easily concealed and the .40 packs a good punch.

Jo da Plumbr 09-17-2009 02:42 PM

I'm a S&W fan, so I agree. a nice M&P in 9 or 40 if you can deal with the extra kick. I have the M&P in 45 and it is sweet.

NGIB 09-17-2009 02:57 PM

I carry a .380 a lot and I don't feel undergunned. This being said, 9mm has a lot more selection of bullet weights and types and is much easier to find - and cheaper. I'm an XD fan and I had a 9mm sub-compact for a time - great shooting gun.

I seriously recommend you shoot anything you're considering. I know a lot of folks that have bought .40s - only to find they don't like shooting them as they have VERY snappy recoil, especially in small and light carry guns...

layton 09-17-2009 03:08 PM

You might want to also ck out the Taurus PT-745 compact, it is a 3incher and very compact and although mine is a 45, the recoil is very light and not noticed to me, it also does not print and to me is an ideal carry weapon, but that is me.

but as stated here, try to shoot before buying.

Layton

AsmelEduardo 09-17-2009 03:17 PM

Taurus Millenium Pro PT111 or the Slimmer Taurus 709 :D

CA357 09-17-2009 04:30 PM

Is it for home defense or is it for concealed carry? That will influence size considerably. Nine millimeter is an acceptable caliber, just buy good ammunition and it will do the job.

I don't care for .40 caliber, I find it neither fish nor fowl and too snappy for what it delivers. (maybe I'm just old) I prefer .45ACP, I think it is more comfortable to shoot.

CZ makes excellent pistols, include them in your search if you can. The XD's and the M&P's are also excellent quality and definitely worth trying out.

Have fun with your search. ;)

Glockanista 09-17-2009 06:53 PM

The Walther PPS in 9mm, Springfield XD 9sc, and Glock 26 are tops on my list. Have plenty of experience with the XD sc and the Glock. Both are very good weapons, easy to handle. I have only shot the PPS once, about 20 rounds, it was a little small for my hands, but it shot well also.

Whatever you choose, make sure you get lots of range time with your "protector". Good luck with your choice.:)

sweeper22 09-18-2009 02:34 AM

It might be worth your while to check out a CZ 2075 RAMI 9mm Sub Compact. This is the compact carry version of the CZ 75b, one of the finest 9mm platforms out there. It's a lightweight gun (22oz) with decent capacity at a reasonable price.

Dillinger 09-18-2009 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jess (Post 160995)
So on my quest for a new handgun I thought I would go to the local indoor range and shoot. I have a .380 and would like to go up in caliber from that. I do NOT want a Glock soooo what else should I try out before narrowing my decision down?
This hypothetical-yet-to-be-purchased firearm would be for concealed carry, for me a non giant girl.

Thanks guys

For personal protection? Are you open to say, a hammerless revolver? Because any of the light weight, easily concealed hammerless revolvers are a GREAT choice.

I think Cane has one that he carries and it's a 38 special I believe, +P rated, and it weighs less than 1 pound fully loaded. It's a sweet little gun that packs a hell of a whallop.

Or does it have to be a semi auto? Because the problem with a lot of "small" semi autos is that they are double stack, and since you are a "non-giant" I don't imagine you have large hands, so that could lead to some control issues....

What is the make of your .380?

My girl carries a 4.25" 1911 in 9mm. She carries, only, 135gr or 147 gr +P hollowpoints in it, and I am VERY comfortable both with that round and with her ability to put rounds on target. If someone interrupts her shoe-shopping, it's going to get bloody in a hurry. :cool:

So, you tell me, what is your idea of a good "carry" gun. What are you leaning towards?

JD