Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Random Question (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/random-question-61233/)

Uptown_General_Roc 03-27-2012 06:21 PM

Random Question

I close my left eye when I shoot and focus with my right is that just me or other do tha same?

mountainman13 03-27-2012 06:25 PM

Many people do that. Shooting with both eyes open takes practice. I'm sure some of the guys on here can give you some good tips.

Longrange 03-27-2012 06:27 PM

I am left handed but right eye dominant. I shoot with both eyes open but the right eye is behind the sights acquiring sight picture. You need to find out if you are right or left eye dominant.

Uptown_General_Roc 03-27-2012 06:28 PM

So how do you shoot?

Uptown_General_Roc 03-27-2012 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Longrange
I am left handed but right eye dominant. I shoot with both eyes open but the right eye is behind the sights acquiring sight picture. You need to find out if you are right or left eye dominant.

Never really try shooting with both eyes open and I never try shooting with left eye on sights ... maybe I try that next time I hit tha range

Reaper61 03-27-2012 06:50 PM

The fact that you are automatically leaving your right eye open and your left eye closed means that you are right eyed dominate. Takes a lot of practice to shoot with both eyes open.

Longrange 03-27-2012 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper61 (Post 753655)
The fact that you are automatically leaving your right eye open and your left eye closed means that you are right eyed dominate. Takes a lot of practice to shoot with both eyes open.

I disagree. For years I shot thinking I was left eye dominant just because I was left handed. It was instinctive to acquire sight picture with my left eye. After I started taking training courses I found out I was actually right eye dominant, my shooting has improved 10 fold.

Shooting with both eyes open was taught to me by my father when I was a kid. I thought every one shot that way until I got older.

mountainman13 03-27-2012 07:04 PM

I hate to say this but...
Hold your hands out in front of you and touch your pointer fingers and thumbs together. Pick an object across the room and aim at it through the diamond you formed. Slowly move your hands back towards your face keeping your eyes on the target. The eye your hands move to is your dominant eye.
Wow you get tired of hearing and saying that over time.

powerstrokin 03-28-2012 06:46 AM

Holy. Crap. I just found out I'm right eye dominant and left handed. This explains a lot, even though I do shoot fairly decent already.

How does one learn to shoot this way, or with both eyes? Seems very unnatural to me.

levelcross 03-28-2012 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by powerstrokin (Post 754292)
Holy. Crap. I just found out I'm right eye dominant and left handed. This explains a lot, even though I do shoot fairly decent already.

How does one learn to shoot this way, or with both eyes? Seems very unnatural to me.

I am left eye dominate and right handed, I roll the sights to the 11:00 to get them in front of my eye....so you will need to roll them to the 1:00. Now for keeping both eyes open it takes practice and concentration.