Raised Spot in Barrel of Jennings Bryco 9mm Model 59

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Raised Spot in Barrel of Jennings Bryco 9mm Model 59

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2014, 01:24 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Raised Spot in Barrel of Jennings Bryco 9mm Model 59

Recently, while shooting this handgun, the takedown button split in two at the base of the U-Shaped groove below the hollow barrel.

When I field stripped it for cleaning, I noticed this raised spot in the barrel. I've never noticed it before and wondered if it was normal or was also caused at the same time the takedown button broke.

Any advice? Thanks.

If the image isn't showing up, d/l the attachment.

20140414_102712.jpg  

Last edited by shortaug; 04-22-2014 at 01:26 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-22-2014, 01:39 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5801 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

A good closeup of the underside of the barrel in that spot would be interesting. Its possible that's a crack.

Jennings are known to kaboom randomly especially if heavy or hot rounds are used.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-22-2014, 02:21 AM   #3
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1608 Times on 986 Posts
Likes Given: 8508

From what I can see it is time for a new barrel, and a lighter charge. Or save up some money and replace the pistol. Keep in mind that this is coming from a guy who owns, and still carries from time to time, a J-22.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 04-22-2014, 03:45 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1266 Times on 860 Posts
Likes Given: 1307

From what I hear they are very unsafe....................

When all else fails.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:49 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9165 Times on 3958 Posts
Likes Given: 1436

First. welcome to the forum- glad you found your way here.

Second, no, that is NOT normal. I would consider that VERY unsafe to fire, and stop shooting it right now. I mean NOW.

I am not going to be a gun snob, and talk down to you about having one of these- but they are bluntly a cheaply made handgun, with multiple reports of quality issues. The company has been thru a lot of changes- summary of company history HERE- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimenez_Arms

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

HOSSFLY Likes This 
Old 04-22-2014, 10:01 AM   #6
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2969 Times on 1712 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

Welcome to the forum.

I agree with the statements above.

You have found out that such inexpensive handguns do have faults and may not last as range firearms.
(What if you used that as a self defense handgun, and such a thing happened when you needed it?)

Consider how much is your life worth. How much are you willing to pay to have a quality firearm?

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 04-22-2014, 12:43 PM   #7

Thanks for the info. Aye, I knew it was cheaply made, but it was cheaply obtained -- free, from my dad.

As soon as I can, I'll update a picture with the underside of the barrel. I was able to shoot 115gr FMJ through it all day long, but the 3rd 125gr HAP I put through it is when this happened.

I have other pistols for self-defense, but I enjoy shooting this one and the soft-trigger makes for fun-fast shooting with accuracy.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:50 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5801 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortaug View Post
Thanks for the info. Aye, I knew it was cheaply made, but it was cheaply obtained -- free, from my dad.

As soon as I can, I'll update a picture with the underside of the barrel. I was able to shoot 115gr FMJ through it all day long, but the 3rd 125gr HAP I put through it is when this happened.

I have other pistols for self-defense, but I enjoy shooting this one and the soft-trigger makes for fun-fast shooting with accuracy.
Heavier bullets increase stress. Even light charge weights and lighter bullets stress these guns beyound their limits. When you go to a heavier than 115 grn you are experiencing why these are not considered quality firearms.

I think you got damn lucky and you found that before it kaboomed in your hand

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-22-2014, 12:55 PM   #9

Liked 265 Times on 210 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Good time to retire that pistol and make it so it can't be fired again.

Old 04-29-2014, 04:19 AM   #10

Liked 128 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 32

I've never seen anything like that before.I had a 59 once and never gave me any trouble.