Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Raging Bull .44mag recoil vs a G20 (10mm?). (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/raging-bull-44mag-recoil-vs-g20-10mm-38289/)

Lindenwood 02-11-2011 02:40 AM

Raging Bull .44mag recoil vs a G20 (10mm?).

I have been really wanting to pick up a .44mag Raging Bull, in the 8" barrel length. However, I want to make sure the recoi won't cause me to develop a flinch. The most unpleasant gun I've ever shot was actually my KelTec PF9, even with basic ammo. It isn't terrible, but I usually can only shoot 2 or 3 mags in succession without starting to flinch (at which point I just put a few through my other guns and go back to it). It is just very snappy, like slapping a baseball bat into your palm. I have shot a G20 with 180gr handloads coming out at 1400fps, and it actually wasn't as bad as my PF9. The same guy also had reportedly hotter handloads out of some 4" S&W.41mag revolver, but I don't remember their specifics and it didn't seem any worse than the pistol (probably offset by the heavier firearm). In any case, I shot those guns better than their owner did.

I have read all over that the heavier weight and ported barrel of the longer Raging Bulls really tame the recoil of even hotter .44mag loads, turning it into more of a "shove" than a "snap." But, I am just curious how the standard loads of 240gr@1400fps from a 4+lb Bull would compare to those hot 10mm and .41mag loads from those obviously smaller guns?
Do you guys think I'd have a problem with these .44 loads?

*edit*

And I wanted to say I was just figuring the 10mm loads could make for a decent comparison because they come out with 75% the momentum (180gr vs 240gr at the same velocity), but from a pistol with half the barrel length (i.e. a stouter charge to get the bullet out that fast), without muzzle compensation, and about 55% the weight of the Bull in question. Those recoil calculators on the web say both setups would produce the same amount of recoil energy, though the G20 would have a higher recoil velocity over a shorter time which would logicaly be interpreted as having a "snappier" recoil rather than the oft-described "push" of the Bulls. Is this assessment accurate?

skullcrusher 02-11-2011 03:22 AM

I don't know about your loads, but you are talking apples to oranges. A large bore revolver with a long barrel vs. a semi-auto shorter barrel in a smaller load.

I've shot the Raging Bull in .454 Casull with the 8-3/8" barrel and I can tell you that it does not hurt to shoot. It does make the ground shake, but not flinching.

Smaller, lighter guns will give you the recoil that makes one flinch if it hurts to shoot. The Raging Bull with the 8-3/8" barrel in .44 mag should (imo) produce less felt recoil over a 10mm poly. It is a different kind of recoil that you should notice right away.

Lindenwood 02-11-2011 04:02 AM

Yeah, I know it is not really a direct comparison. I guess I'm trying to ask something more like, "if hot 10mm loads from a medium-sized pistol don't hurt, will those .44mag loads from a big Bull feel much worse?" But, your example is a good start!

Thanks!

Anyone else have experience with these two firearms (or similar, of course) that could describe the recoil?

michigan0626 02-11-2011 05:58 PM

Genitron.com-awesome website

Genitron.com: Details for Taurus 444 Raging Bull .44 Remington Magnum Revolver
Raging Bull 44 MAG recoil factor-15.2 lbs

Genitron.com: Details for Glock 20 10mm Auto Pistol
Glock G20 10mm recoil factor-11.2 lbs

G29 recoil factor- 12.5 lbs
Taurus 444 ultralight 4" 44mag (I believe scandium and titanium) recoil factor- 32.7 lbs

michigan0626 02-11-2011 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skullcrusher (Post 442543)
I don't know about your loads, but you are talking apples to oranges. A large bore revolver with a long barrel vs. a semi-auto shorter barrel in a smaller load.

I've shot the Raging Bull in .454 Casull with the 8-3/8" barrel and I can tell you that it does not hurt to shoot. It does make the ground shake, but not flinching.

Smaller, lighter guns will give you the recoil that makes one flinch if it hurts to shoot. The Raging Bull with the 8-3/8" barrel in .44 mag should (imo) produce less felt recoil over a 10mm poly. It is a different kind of recoil that you should notice right away.

Raging Bull in 454 with 8-3/8" recoil factor- 35.0 lbs
genitron.com

Lindenwood 02-11-2011 09:59 PM

Using the handloads.com recoil calculatorand the above loads, and using a 2.35lb G20 and a 4.1lb Bull, they both end up with around 12-13lbs of recoil energy with the Glock doing it with a significantly higher velocity over the.44 bull. I just wanted to see if anyone had personal experience to validate how id expect the recoil to feel, ya know?

dallascj 02-15-2011 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michigan0626 (Post 442926)
Genitron.com-awesome website

Genitron.com: Details for Taurus 444 Raging Bull .44 Remington Magnum Revolver
Raging Bull 44 MAG recoil factor-15.2 lbs

Genitron.com: Details for Glock 20 10mm Auto Pistol
Glock G20 10mm recoil factor-11.2 lbs

G29 recoil factor- 12.5 lbs
Taurus 444 ultralight 4" 44mag (I believe scandium and titanium) recoil factor- 32.7 lbs

Thanks for that website. It is a really great resource.