Racking slide not so easy
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Racking slide not so easy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2012, 12:08 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Racking slide not so easy

I posted a bit about carrying one in the chamber; I am a new guy to firearms. Please let me tell you how wacky I am. I don’t like to lose at anything nor be not good at something. So I figured if I am going to carry a firearm for self-defense and the defense of my family. I should be safe, educated, trained and pretty darn good at it. I am working on all four of them. I am waiting to take my second leg of the concealed carry class. It’s basically a second stage to the first, it’s supposed to teach you to properly draw and acquire a target,
I have been to the range about 12 or so times in the past couple of months trying to get used to my weapon. When I first started going I read the range rules and number 2 on the list is “no draw and shoot”. Which I thought was silly. But having a little more experience and having been to this range several times it’s the best rule for sure. I would defiantly be killed by one of these people. Now having said that, I am not allowed to draw and shoot.
In my mind I thought if I am going to carry condition 3 I needed to get pretty good at it. Let me say this first to everyone that is much more experienced than I am. IT’S MUCH HARDER THAN I EXPECTED IT TO BE. Since I cannot draw and shoot, I basically set my piston on the counter in the hole. This points the weapon down range and exposes the entire grip. I stand typical; in a controlled fashion reach for my piston acquire a good grip. As soon as I reach for it, I bring my left hand to my chest. As I bring the piston to my lower belly and its coming up to the chest ready position I rack the slide in a sort of continued motion that ends with me at extended arms positions ready to shoot.
I would rather keep the piston close in and extend out as I present and acquire my target. But I have not found a safe way of doing this. I have to gain some distance from my body to safely y rack the slide. I practice doing this and then bringing the weapon back into belly ready spot before I go chest ready again.
As many probably already know, it’s a lot of movements. I don’t want to get sloppy, so I am very conscious about doing all my movements properly. I am always certain to grab the rear of the slide to rack. I go at a slow pace to make sure I get it and still I sometimes miss it. Or I don’t rack it back fully. If I am going to carry condition 3 I will have to do what I have been doing lately, which is. Grip; bring it in close enough to rack comfortably. And then go. It is slower but at least I make sure it’s racked. I suppose this is why so many don’t do this and carry condition #1.
Having never tried this as much as I have lately. I thought I would be able to do it. But it’s not that simple. I can only imagine adding in the adrenaline of the moment, being scared, and in a bad spot. Now I ask myself can I do it under those conditions.
Going to get some training next week and make up my mind. I always appreciate hearing form more experienced people. The question is, if I struggle now at the range. Will I be able to do it at all? Or will I have a gun/rock to throw at someone??
Sorry so long. Thanks for all your help.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-29-2012, 12:16 AM   #2

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

About all I can say if you're talking about a 1911 carry it cocked & locked-
Anything less also carry a stop sign to hold up while you ready your weapon

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 01-29-2012, 01:22 AM   #3

Do you practice drawing, racking the slide, and getting on-target at home? Unloaded of course lol

Old 01-29-2012, 01:28 AM   #4

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

If you are now comfortable with carrying your firearm loaded "one in the pipe",i highly recommend not practicing chambering a round during your draw process. For one it will instill a bad habit and secondly it costs you precious seconds that you will need.Repetition is what trains your mind to do things under pressure and stress,how you practice is how you will perform in the field "trust me".When you are drawing your weapon,all you should be focusing on is, clearing your holster,flipping your safety off "unless you have a striker fired gun", aquiring your target,and firing. Since you cant practice drawing at the range,do it at home in front of the mirror "alot", maybe even get some snap caps and practice drawing and dryfiring .After some practice,flicking the safety off will become second nature and you will just do it automatically. Proper practice will result in precise performance when seconds count. Keep it up, your doing good

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 01-29-2012, 01:48 AM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
i highly recommend not practicing chambering a round during your draw process. For one it will instill a bad habit and secondly it costs you precious seconds that you will need
now that we are back on this subject, I strongly disagree with the above statment but, as you know are entitled to your opinion. I and those like me can present with a rack in the same amount or less time (5 count) than a presention without a rack.

but to answer the op. you may aks the range officer if you could draw under supervision or ask if you could come early and work on your presentation.

Rigjumpr
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Handgun Instructor,
Owner Operator- DefenderTX Concealed Handgun training
“American by birth Texan by the grace of God”
“Molon labe”
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151001455519?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p39 84.m1555.l2649

Last edited by rigjumpr; 01-29-2012 at 01:54 AM.

Old 01-29-2012, 01:53 AM   #6

Agreed. Keep one loaded in the chamber or it might be too late. I like and use your same tech. For racking one in. For a righty you grab the slide by your chest with your left and thrust your right arm forward. One fluid movement. I wouldn't want to be that far behind though.

I'm still paranoid about kicking off the safety on my DAO lc9. With the trigger pull its not really necessary but I wasn't raised to leave safeties off.

Old 01-29-2012, 02:06 AM   #7

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigjumpr
now that we are back on this subject, I strongly disagree with the above statment but, as you know are entitled to your opinion. I and those like me can present with a rack in the same amount or less time (5 count) than a presention without a rack.

but to answer the op. you may aks the range officer if you could draw under supervision or ask if you could come early and work on your presentation.
I can chamber a round within the same time span too, thats not the point.but if im having to use my left arm in a defensive manner to fend off an attack,or my left arm has been disabled during the initial attack,im not gonna be able to chamber a round first. You will be up sh!t creek my friend.

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 01-29-2012, 02:19 AM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
I can chamber a round within the same time span too, thats not the point.but if im having to use my left arm in a defensive manner to fend off an attack,or my left arm has been disabled during the initial attack,im not gonna be able to chamber a round first. You will be up sh!t creek my friend.
again, I agree with you it's apparent that you and I are a bit more trained than the op. I was merely giving him an option until he becomes more at ease with carry in condition 1. in which we all or most of us agree is the way to go.

Rigjumpr
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Handgun Instructor,
Owner Operator- DefenderTX Concealed Handgun training
“American by birth Texan by the grace of God”
“Molon labe”
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151001455519?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p39 84.m1555.l2649

Old 01-29-2012, 02:25 AM   #9
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21592 Times on 12249 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i have to agree with MrWray on this one for the same reasons he stated and also if you have to rack the slide, to chamber a round, and for some reason not able to do so with your left hand, then your firearm can potentially become a weapon ot be used against you. unchambered firearm used for SD is useless IMO, and if you aren't confident enough to learn how to carry it loaded with one in the chamber, then a person might need to re-evalute whether they need to carry at all.

Old 01-29-2012, 02:30 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5724 Times on 2992 Posts
Likes Given: 379

this video is of a typical SD shooting vent. if the victim had to take time to rack the slide of his firearm its likely the goblin would have killed them all. just ignore the bad music.

either the extra motion or the sound of the slide being racked would have done him in.

yes it typically happens that fast or faster.

i practice draw and fire in my home using snap caps.

my take on it is if you have time and space to rack the slide you have time to run and seek cover or a rifle.

you can do what you wish its your life your betting. personally i never go anywhere without a round chambered and a topped off magazine.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...