R-51 - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

R-51

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2014, 08:10 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 69 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
I'm curious about this statement...

You're profile pic is a 1911. Which has both. It seems a little paradoxical. It'd be like me having a profile pic of a GLOCK.
As I said in another thread, I don't like grip safeties. I love the 1911 platform also. With that, I just don't have a choice so I buck up and deal with it.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:29 PM   #22

My understanding is that the grip safety is integral into the at this particular action operated. I'm not a huge fan of grip safeties either but on a small single stack platform they do not bother me.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:31 PM   #23
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6579 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Why do you guys not like grip safeties? I don't even notice they're there when I'm shooting.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 01-12-2014, 10:52 PM   #24
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22314 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
Why do you guys not like grip safeties? I don't even notice they're there when I'm shooting.
after over twenty five years of woning and shooting 1911's, i don't even really realize they are there.
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 01-12-2014, 10:53 PM   #25

Liked 9212 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

That's part of why I'm so perplexed. The only time I know it's there is when I'm looking at it.
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 01-12-2014, 11:02 PM   #26

Liked 113 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Default Grip safeties

Quote:
My main objection to grip safeties is the one stuck on the Government Model. It isn't needed and was put there in an attempt to replace proper training with a gizmo. (Troops were not trusted to know how to handle the firearm.)

Another problem with grip safeties as a breed is they don't always work as needed; sometimes they don't depress when the grip is not exactly correct, and sometimes they jam in place. Like any other mechanical doo-dad.

With all that, I can live with a grip safety. But I do have a question about it: Does it actually block the sear from tripping, bumping, bouncing or otherwise releasing the hammer/striker/firing mechanism, OR does it just block the trigger from being pulled?

Another problem - for the time being - is the caliber choice. I want something bigger than a 9x19. (So I'll wait at least until they're in .40 S&W or .45 ACP.)

Just for the record, the Ortgies pistol from Germany in the 1920s had a grip safety only arrangement. Except it didn't automatically release, one had to push a release button on the pistol (about where a manual safety would be, under the right hand thumb) to reset the safety.
http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Polygon Likes This 
Old 01-13-2014, 12:02 AM   #27

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
after over twenty five years of woning and shooting 1911's, i don't even really realize they are there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
That's part of why I'm so perplexed. The only time I know it's there is when I'm looking at it.
I don't care for them because I don't feel they'er needed. I would never carry a gun with one without pinning it because it's just a potential failure point. I know what you're thinking, and no it's not probable but it's certainly possible.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:50 AM   #28
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2884 Times on 1582 Posts
Likes Given: 810

I have seen 1911's with the thumb safety removed and the owners relying on the grip safety but not the other way around. My XD has a grip safety. I know there are a lot of SA's out there with thumb safety only, I have a couple but I have never had a grip safety fail and I shot a lot of 1911's.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:27 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
I have seen 1911's with the thumb safety removed and the owners relying on the grip safety but not the other way around. My XD has a grip safety. I know there are a lot of SA's out there with thumb safety only, I have a couple but I have never had a grip safety fail and I shot a lot of 1911's.
I'm so much talking about the safety itself failing more than someone failing to grip is right and the gun won't fire. That could happen under a stressful situation. It's just my opinion though.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:44 AM   #30

Liked 9212 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
I'm so much talking about the safety itself failing more than someone failing to grip is right and the gun won't fire. That could happen under a stressful situation. It's just my opinion though.
It's happened to me on the range, and I still carry a 1911. To each their own though.

Newest Threads